Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

knocking/popping

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So when going over bumps at slow speeds, i'm getting kind of a quiet rattle/popping noise. Also, when turning the wheel at low speed, it groans like an old man reacting to a tik tok video.

I've got an appointment at the SC but was just curious if you guys think it's upper control arm ball joints or the lower? If it stops raining tomorrow i'll jack it up and do the standard wheel shake test for play.

Although unlikely at only 25k miles, the noise resembles that of a worn-out bushing/ball joint in one of the primary joints. Sounds like there may be fair amount of play in control arms. Do you feel any noticeable vibration or shimmying at higher speeds?

Last edited:
There's a bit of vibration. Not terrible but definitely noticable.
Yea... good news is all the faulty bushings/ball joints/control arms should be covered under warranty. Having had a close look at the suspension components on my Y, I can't say I am impressed with the quality of the rubber being used in the bushings and joints.

As the aftermarket becomes more matured for the Y, I am hoping someone will make replacement urethane bushings.

Yea... good news is all the faulty bushings/ball joints/control arms should be covered under warranty. Having had a close look at the suspension components on my Y, I can't say I am impressed with the quality of the rubber being used in the bushings and joints.

As the aftermarket becomes more matured for the Y, I am hoping someone will make replacement urethane bushings.
Yeah I'm not impressed either. MPP looks like they have some excellent aftermarket ones. While they're a bit overkill, id definitely go that route out of warranty. Hopefully I don't get the usual, "oh we can't reproduce it,and even if we could it's normal" routine .I might have to go full Karen

• Funny
Reactions: N1L CO2
Yeah I'm not impressed either. MPP looks like they have some excellent aftermarket ones. While they're a bit overkill, id definitely go that route out of warranty. Hopefully I don't get the usual, "oh we can't reproduce it,and even if we could it's normal" routine .I might have to go full Karen
If they try to punt the responsibility, you can always give them a scare by mentioning drivability and safety. Also have them prove to you how a clunky suspension components are considered "normal" and ask them to show you another Y that has the same problem. Then a splash of a potential for a huge lawsuit (if/when it fails while driving) usually does the trick. :cool:

If they try to punt the responsibility, you can always give them a scare by mentioning drivability and safety. Also have them prove to you how a clunky suspension components are considered "normal" and ask them to show you another Y that has the same problem. Then a splash of a potential for a huge lawsuit (if/when it fails while driving) usually does the trick. :cool:
I like your style