Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Koch brothers set to make new assault on EVs

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
All they need to do is cast doubt. People get their "information" from sound bytes - with their busy lives, short attention spans (ha) few take the time to actually dig deeper and educate themselves. Especially when it comes to something so different from what they are used to (ICE cars.)

There are still a HUGE number of people who deny climate change. Just this morning I unfortunately read the comments on a local news story about my (democrat) Senator who is big on environmental issues and especially our oceans (I do live in the "ocean state") - and those comments were very disappointing. WHY do people deny it? Because of deliberate misinformation put forth via "studies" funded by industries that are protecting their interest. Do these people take the time to investigate the source of these studies? NO.

So, I do not have faith that my fellow man can discern the bullshit.

Its not like BEV production is ready to take over in a few years. All we need until 2020 is perhaps total world BEV production of 5-10 million units / yr (5%-10%).
All the ads will certainly put BS in some peoples mind, maybe even 50% of those that could afford a BEV, but that matters very little. Actually I contend that's a good thing, as in due time those people will hitch a ride on a BEV, talk to somebody that owns one and see the light, and perhaps part ways with the fossil fuel industry permanently (with a huge grudge against the Koch bros).
Worldwide car production is around 100 millions / yr, so if Tesla can achieve one million units / yr, that's just 1% !
The only truly negative is if the Koch bros BS manages to end EV incentives, which I really don't think they will achieve.

I'm far more concerned as far as range upgrades to existing BEVs/PHEVs. All BEVs need to achieve 200 miles, and most PHEVs should offer at least 120 miles of pure EV range.

Its not like BEV production is ready to take over in a few years. All we need until 2020 is perhaps total world BEV production of 5-10 million units / yr (5%-10%).
All the ads will certainly put BS in some peoples mind, maybe even 50% of those that could afford a BEV, but that matters very little. Actually I contend that's a good thing, as in due time those people will hitch a ride on a BEV, talk to somebody that owns one and see the light, and perhaps part ways with the fossil fuel industry permanently (with a huge grudge against the Koch bros).
Worldwide car production is around 100 millions / yr, so if Tesla can achieve one million units / yr, that's just 1% !
The only truly negative is if the Koch bros BS manages to end EV incentives, which I really don't think they will achieve.

I'm far more concerned as far as range upgrades to existing BEVs/PHEVs. All BEVs need to achieve 200 miles, and most PHEVs should offer at least 120 miles of pure EV range.

100% agree. Once there are a few million Tesla's on the road, no amount of propaganda will be able to prevent the rise (revenge) of the EV. Even though the Leaf is a fine vehicle, and the spark will probably be an okay vehicle, I'm confident both companies will get a lot of criticism thrown at them for the environmental impact of the vehicles and the limited range.

Tesla has a "closed loop" model for recycling and repurposing Tesla batteries, not to mention a localized supply chain. I'm fairly sure this isn't true for the Leaf and won't be true for the Spark, yet. I have a strange feeling the Spark might never get released, and if it does it won't be produced for long.

The Spark will be bad for GM, bad for the environment, and probably not compelling by any definition. This will probably be used by the anti EV lobby as ammunition. GM would need to cut the price by $10,000 - $15,000 for the Spark to be somewhat successful, something I don't think GM intends to do.

I wouldn't be surprised if VW is forced to do what the tobacco industry was forced to do, and actively advertise why EVs are good and gasoline vehicles are bad. Is it possible any financial settlement will go directly into a pool of money for accelerating EV sales?

Is there any precedent that would compel VW to invest $30 billion in an American EV manufacturer, such as Tesla instead of having to pay the maximum penalty of $60 billion +?

Last edited:
Bringing this thread back seems appropriate considering the news.
- Top climate denier to lead EPA transition team
- Koch lobbyist Mike McKenna at DOE
Trump Picks Top Climate Skeptic to Lead EPA Transition

The phrase "Give them enough rope, and they will hang themselves" comes to mind. The election was the rope. What they do over the next 4 years will be telling. I'm guessing that they will indeed try and kill all the environmental laws. The level of resistance they meet, and the global consequences (political and environmental) are what will eventually cause the pendulum to swing back. Either that or we are too far down the slippery slope, and its every man for himself.

RT

I keep pushing myself to be positive about this. Watching Before the Flood taught me that we have to get people to change and then the government will follow, rather than hoping (in this climate? [sorry for the pun]) for the government to lead the way. Right now EVs are cheaper to put miles on and cheaper to service. I believe we are at the tipping point for renewables to cost what fossil fuels do for energy. We have to keep after the change that we believe in.
And perhaps we need to look at how we can NOT support Koch Industries or other fossil fuel industries.

Reactions: LST
Getting people to change is hard. Offering them some return on investment for that change is what draws buyers.
Ice Cream stores sell "pleasure" (but a highly unnecessary product). Warm temps bring out the flocks.
EVs offer "something" in terms of thrill (ie. Tesla) or good feelings/pleasure (feeling green) but no immediate feedback.
The consumer is led by economics and convenience and then esoteric feelings last.
This is why many electricity customers rarely choose "green energy" as their supplier even though every single person could pay a little more on their bill and buy green energy (ie. subsidizing the REC marketplace for their grid providers). Their feelings aren't strong enough to urge them to pay more to get the same electrons.

Tesla will get more thrill-seekers with the Model 3 if it offers nearly the same "personal rollercoaster" solution for half the price of the Model S. Being a bit smaller also helps those who don't want such a big sedan. But the thrill is in the instant torque and quick acceleration - over the "being green" part of it. As one Model S owner told me "you don't buy a Tesla for the environment - you buy it for the fun." And in terms of sheer numbers - lots more Chevy Cruze/Nissan Altima/Toyota Camry are sold than BMW 3-series or other hot cars. The normal consumer is not about thrills. They're about getting to work, trying to pay the mortgage and leasing a car that has a warranty on it so they don't have to endure expensive repairs yearly. The country is full of people who are very un-like the silicon-valley community around Palo Alto.

Reactions: TEG
Funny how instead of focusing their resources on being productive to society by making better faster more efficient widgets of any kind, they are engaging in dead weight loss PR efforts against their perceived competition.

Meanwhile Tesla engages in no advertising and minimal PR , and will totally steamroll over them by focusing on science, engineering, innovation and creation of better faster and more efficient products.