Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

KW V3 Coilovers now available for Performance AWD

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
What do reservoirs actually do?

UP charges like $2k more to have them.

They allow for more oil to be in the dampers, which can help prevent or reduce overheating for more spirited usage, more consistent damping on rough roads, and to some extent allow more travel in a smaller space.

That said, with KWs rep I expect that they did appropriate testing for their dampers.

Where is everyone ordering their KW AWD 35287007 from?

prices are all over the board.

They appear to be $2899.99 pretty much everywhere in the USA. It looks like they might be cheaper if you eBay them from Germany, but then after-sales support would be essentially non-existent.

Also FYI, KW historically does a springtime promotion where V3's are historically $350 off. I'm not saying it's guaranteed they'll do it again this spring, but it's possible.

Greetings from Puerto Rico !!

did someone finally installed and bring some insight of how well or how wrong they were ?? Thanks in advance
They're KW V3s! How wrong could they possibly be?
Also, there's new lower retail pricing on them.
In stock and available to ship now.

Danny

We just replaced MPP Comfort Non-Adjustable Coilovers in our studio's demo car with KW V3 Coilovers.
With the wide range of adjustments these coilovers offer, we will be doing extensive dynamic testing to find the best settings for different use cases.

Image.jpeg

Image.jpeg

Ideally, we will come up with different numerical value adjustments for the following scenarios:
  • Max Comfort
  • Comfort Street
  • Street Performance
  • Max Performance

DSC00856.JPG
DSC00859.JPG

Lastly, we are running a promo on this kit for the TMC community.
If you're interested, please send us a message or email us - [email protected]

Thanks,
Danny

Last edited:
here's where I would be super cautious about purchasing direct from KW for several reasons:
1) there is no picture so there's no way of knowing what the similarities and differences might be between this and the Mountain Pass Performance Kit. It could have no differences, trivial differences or big differences. If it's the latter, then they're all kinds of questions about whether they've improved the kit or perhaps 'deproved' it. The latter of course is unlikely but you just don't know. At the very least it won't have the front strut top column and probably will just have the helper springs. You'll have to decide based on virtually no systematic surveys whether the top column is better than the helper springs. But that was an MPP designed part and most certainly is not in the KW kit.
2) it's significantly more money
3) if you have a problem you're dealing with KW vs. MPP. That's no contest. KW is like the Department of Defense, while MPP time and time again has proven their integrity and commitment to the Tesla community. KW on the other hand is probably a technically high-quality outfit but committed to their bottom line.
4) most critically, we don't know whether or not KW signed a non-compete Clause with MPP. If they did, they are violating it. Plus we have to believe that MPP did most of the development work around building a spec list rather than KW. I believe in rewarding people who do the grunt work. In any case it's possible that KW did not promise to non-compete, but only MPP can clarify that. If they are violating a non-compete clause, that's really deplorable and would be a final and excellent reason not to buy from them. But again we don't know. They wouldn't be the first outfit to do an end-run around that kind of agreement. Even if they didn't sign a non-compete clause, funneling kits into their stock pipeline takes them out of MPP stock which MPP says has been almost impossible to create. So even best case scenario, it's sketchy from the standpoint of KW business practice as it says that they are willing to short a developer / distributor in order to sell their own kits.

For all these reasons, I'd suggest a lot of caution about buying direct from KW. I would strongly encourage people to support MPP because they are supporting us.
Old post but I could not disagree more. I've got KW V3 that are 15 years old that I can still buy replacement parts direct from KW and do from time to time. For ex. the bumstops and covers on my twinscroll WRX wore out so I called them up and ordered new ones. Got the bumps in two days. I don't have to wait for MPP to scource their colored parts from KW no less. Five years ago I needed a new spring perch, got a replacement just as easy. MPP like any other tuner shop may not be here in five years. KW is easy to get a hold of in the US, you just call them up and order whatever you want. And the most incredulous thing for me with your post is the fact that you basically ignore that KW makes the MPP coilovers. Ignore the fact that KW is the one that actually engineered the coils, the valving tech, etc etc smh! What is this non-compete nonsense?

Old post but I could not disagree more. I've got KW V3 that are 15 years old that I can still buy replacement parts direct from KW and do from time to time. For ex. the bumstops and covers on my twinscroll WRX wore out so I called them up and ordered new ones. Got the bumps in two days. I don't have to wait for MPP to scource their colored parts from KW no less. Five years ago I needed a new spring perch, got a replacement just as easy. MPP like any other tuner shop may not be here in five years. KW is easy to get a hold of in the US, you just call them up and order whatever you want. And the most incredulous thing for me with your post is the fact that you basically ignore that KW makes the MPP coilovers. Ignore the fact that KW is the one that actually engineered the coils, the valving tech, etc etc smh! What is this non-compete nonsense?
Thank you for sharing your unlimited knowledge oh Great One. Obviously you know a lot more than Mountain Pass too? They did all the grunt work of arriving at calibration and tuning of both spring and shock rates. But you obviously are a world-class expert on these things already

Thank you for sharing your unlimited knowledge oh Great One. Obviously you know a lot more than Mountain Pass too? They did all the grunt work of arriving at calibration and tuning of both spring and shock rates. But you obviously are a world-class expert on these things already
Are you serious? Do you not understand branding? How the HELL is MPP going to do any tuning or gruntwork when they don't make the coilovers to begin with?

I
Are you serious? Do you not understand branding? How the HELL is MPP going to do any tuning or gruntwork when they don't make the coilovers to begin with?
You are truly clueless about how this process works. You're exposing your ignorance and if I were you I would just shut my mouth and stop making yourself look like a fool. Obviously you know nothing about the relationships between these entities, and I now have you on ignore so that I don't have to respond to your nonsense.

Reactions: SK360
We just replaced MPP Comfort Non-Adjustable Coilovers in our studio's demo car with KW V3 Coilovers.
With the wide range of adjustments these coilovers offer, we will be doing extensive dynamic testing to find the best settings for different use cases.

View attachment 658668

View attachment 658669

Ideally, we will come up with different numerical value adjustments for the following scenarios:
  • Max Comfort
  • Comfort Street
  • Street Performance
  • Max Performance

View attachment 658667View attachment 658666

Lastly, we are running a promo on this kit for the TMC community.
If you're interested, please send us a message or email us - [email protected]

Thanks,
Danny
thanks Danny for the info and the opportunity to know more !!! Keep us posted on the different settings !!! thanks in advance for the discount !!!

It seems like you might be misinformed. We had access to a Model 3 a full year before KW Germany did in Europe. We traveled to California and got one of the first Model 3's on the road, then worked with KW USA to design and develop the kit. We have every single part of the kits on the shelf ready for warranty use. KW V3's share the same construction as our kits since they are based on our kit, but the valving and spring rates remain our own.

Just an example, if your V3 ends up leaking, you will need to remove it from your car, send it to KW NA and wait 2 weeks for them to inspect it and determine if they can rebuild it. You'll either need to put your car on jack stands or revert to stock suspension. If your MPP damper leaks, we are just going to send you a new one and exchange the old one and have it rebuilt ourselves so you don't have downtime.

Please don't make assumptions or spread misinformation about our products. We are always here if you have any questions or need clarification.

Here is a video documenting the development process:

It seems like you might be misinformed. We had access to a Model 3 a full year before KW Germany did in Europe. We traveled to California and got one of the first Model 3's on the road, then worked with KW USA to design and develop the kit. We have every single part of the kits on the shelf ready for warranty use. KW V3's share the same construction as our kits since they are based on our kit, but the valving and spring rates remain our own.

Just an example, if your V3 ends up leaking, you will need to remove it from your car, send it to KW NA and wait 2 weeks for them to inspect it and determine if they can rebuild it. You'll either need to put your car on jack stands or revert to stock suspension. If your MPP damper leaks, we are just going to send you a new one and exchange the old one and have it rebuilt ourselves so you don't have downtime.

Please don't make assumptions or spread misinformation about our products. We are always here if you have any questions or need clarification.

Here is a video documenting the development process:
I didn't deny that you folks had something to do with the KW coilovers. What I posted about was the disdain the other poster had for KW. And acting like you guys had more to do with the coilovers than the company that actually makes them. And let's not act like you manufacture the coilovers or patented the twin tube and valve that KW makes. And if you want to really get into it, KW didn't get TUV certification for the coilovers until 2019. Anyone can check their website to see their hand signed pdf. Once they have TUV they can sell on the German market. If you want to make that delay as some special circumstance on your part, that's on you. And comparing warranties, KW offers a limited lifetime warranty versus your two year. I don't know why not that it matters much at this point. Yes, I know how KW handles warranty replacements and no doubt it's not ideal. And I applaud you for having spares enough to do cross shipping. But again, I didn't make any comment about your warranty or cross shipping.

Also rebranding coilovers especially the KW's is nothing new. Generally when it's done its for higher spring rates which requires matching valving if it's over the support range like for ex. Racecomps Tarmac line below. Those run a few hundred pound springs above stock KW for instance.

KW V3's share the same construction as our kits since they are based on our kit, but the valving and spring rates remain our own.
Sorry if this is a silly question, but in the case of a fully adjustable damper doesn't the customer do all the valving?

Also are the spring rates posted somewhere? The Tarmac link above lists all their spring rates as do many others but I haven't seen rates listed for KW, MPP, or even OEM.

Sorry if this is a silly question, but in the case of a fully adjustable damper doesn't the customer do all the valving?

Also are the spring rates posted somewhere? The Tarmac link above lists all their spring rates as do many others but I haven't seen rates listed for KW, MPP, or even OEM.
That's not a silly question! The end-user will have control over the low-speed rebound and compression damping forces, but not any of the high-speed settings, which are not adjustable on a V3 style damper. When we get into the higher-end kits like the Competition dampers, they will have adjustments for both low and high-speed settings. Generally speaking, you won't be able to get it super wrong if you are only adjusting low speed, which is why most companies will restrict you to that unless you are buying racing suspension in which case we are assuming you know what to do!
Good question for MPP. What are the spring rates for the Mp3 sport coilovers ?
We don't share any of this information publicly, but it isn't hard to read the writing on the front springs. The rear springs are custom made for us so they don't have any writing on them indicating the spring rates.
I didn't deny that you folks had something to do with the KW coilovers. What I posted about was the disdain the other poster had for KW. And acting like you guys had more to do with the coilovers than the company that actually makes them. And let's not act like you manufacture the coilovers or patented the twin tube and valve that KW makes. And if you want to really get into it, KW didn't get TUV certification for the coilovers until 2019. Anyone can check their website to see their hand signed pdf. Once they have TUV they can sell on the German market. If you want to make that delay as some special circumstance on your part, that's on you. And comparing warranties, KW offers a limited lifetime warranty versus your two year. I don't know why not that it matters much at this point. Yes, I know how KW handles warranty replacements and no doubt it's not ideal. And I applaud you for having spares enough to do cross shipping. But again, I didn't make any comment about your warranty or cross shipping.

Also rebranding coilovers especially the KW's is nothing new. Generally when it's done its for higher spring rates which requires matching valving if it's over the support range like for ex. Racecomps Tarmac line below. Those run a few hundred pound springs above stock KW for instance.

Great! If you have any other questions just let us know and we will be happy to help you ❤️

• Love
Reactions: dfwatt
We don't share any of this information publicly, but it isn't hard to read the writing on the front springs. The rear springs are custom made for us so they don't have any writing on them indicating the spring rates.
Is it safe to assume that you measured or found the OEM spring rates? How do they compare to what's written on the KW or MPP springs?

And why don't you list your spring rates? If I was going to make a set of coilovers to compete with you the first thing I'd do is buy yours and take a bunch of measurements, not just of the spring rates but everything else too - just like you did with the OEM parts. So by hiding your rates you're not really making it harder for competitors, you only make it more difficult for customers to choose the product that best suits them.

Last edited:
  • Disagree
Reactions: dfwatt
Is it safe to assume that you measured or found the OEM spring rates? How do they compare to what's written on the KW or MPP springs?

And why don't you list your spring rates? If I was going to make a set of coilovers to compete with you the first thing I'd do is buy yours and take a bunch of measurements, not just of the spring rates but everything else too - just like you did with the OEM parts. So by hiding your rates you're not really making it harder for competitors, you only make it more difficult for customers to choose the product that best suits them.
Explain to me why it is that someone should make it easy for you to copy their technology? I can understand why you would want that but why is that something that a manufacturer or a distributor somehow owes you? I just don't get that.