Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

LA County Limiting to 5 PWs? Fire Code

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hey has anyone recently been able to install a system larger than 5 powerwalls in LA county? We were planning to install 8 but have since been told that that 80kwh is the maximum allowed for a single family home. This was apparently updated in 2020 LA County Fire Code.

Thanks for your help.

Hey has anyone recently been able to install a system larger than 5 powerwalls in LA county? We were planning to install 8 but have since been told that that 80kwh is the maximum allowed for a single family home. This was apparently updated in 2020 LA County Fire Code.

Thanks for your help.
I sent you a document that might help.

Basically it is an official interpretation from Office of the Sate Fire Marshal, which explicitly says that the intention of the code is that you could put 80 kWh in the garage locations, another 80 kWh outside freestanding, another 80 kWh on the exterior wall and another 40 kWh inside in a compliant non-habitable location.

Basically it is an official interpretation from Office of the Sate Fire Marshal, which explicitly says that the intention of the code is that you could put 80 kWh in the garage locations, another 80 kWh outside freestanding, another 80 kWh on the exterior wall and another 40 kWh inside in a compliant non-habitable location.
All OSFM interpretations are located here:
OSFM Official Code Interpretations

• Informative
Reactions: Redhill_qik
Just my opinion, but I think you're better having multiple sources of fuel since fires or a long cloudy spell with no grid power can drain batteries pretty quick. Since you have no solar, you can't even wait for tomorrow to recharge. With some AC use, I will drain 2 batteries overnight.

Once power is dead, you just have no way to recharge the PWs no matter how many you have.

Of course, 8 PWs is the largest I've heard of, but assuming a massive disaster to even need 8, I'd assume most folks would be better off with 8 and a big generator. At least that's what I'd do (or 6/7 and a generator).

Thanks for your help.
Much as I hate to talk someone out of powerwalls, I don't see the use case here.

I would look at your usage, and then install a generator of sufficient size. Since Tesla isn't going to do the Powerwlls, eight powerwalls from a third party installer would buy you a whopping big generator and years of fuel.

Good luck!

BG

One thing I like about this little corner of TMC, is that while we like the products, almost everyone here is also pragmatic about recommendations, etc.

I cant see a use case for 8 powerwalls without solar either..... unless they are free. If they ARE free, I dont want to know about it (lol). If they arent, it doesnt make sense. Some sort of generator solution would be better.

Reactions: h2ofun
One thing I like about this little corner of TMC, is that while we like the products, almost everyone here is also pragmatic about recommendations, etc.

I cant see a use case for 8 powerwalls without solar either..... unless they are free. If they ARE free, I dont want to know about it (lol). If they arent, it doesnt make sense. Some sort of generator solution would be better.

But he would have gotten 16 bollards to go with the Powerwalls 😿

Btw this would be a great use case for a V2H bidirectional backup from an EV. I think neogeek would get a lot of value from a F150 Lightning and backing up his critical loads. It wouldn’t support a whole home backup, but at least then he’d have a truck he could drive around and remotely charge up if his home grid was offline for a long time.

Reactions: CrazyRabbit
Isn't California banning Fuel Generators

1st link I found when I googled:

Short answer is not yet and article says only certain ones banned in 2028 (gas sounds like from my quick reading...diesel, propane still available), and nothing stopping anyone from buying from 1 state and just drive it into CA.

Thanks for your help.
Did you ever get a response to your question on this? I've been looking at section 1206 of the Los Angeles Fire Code and haven't been able to find a maximum 80kWh. I currently have three PowerWalls and looking to add three additional PW's and being told that I could only have a maximum total of five PW's since six PW's equal 13.5 x 6 = 81 kWh.

Thanks for your help.
Did you ever get a response to your question on this? I've been looking at section 1206 of the Los Angeles Fire Code and haven't been able to find a maximum 80kWh. I currently have three PW's and would like to add three additional PW's. Since 6 x 13.5kWh = 81kWh, I've been told that I could only have a maximum of five PW's. Can I three PW's inside a garage, and three PW's outside?

Can you send me this document? I'm in the same situation and being told that I could only have up to five PW's.