Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Lack of Destination Chargers

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I want to purchase a Tesla vehicle (Model X) and use it to travel to our annual vacation destination in Orange Beach, Alabama. The Supercharger network will get us from Thunder Bay, ON to Orange Beach, AL but there are no destination chargers for our 5-week stay. The few destination chargers in the area are for patrons only and are not at condos. We stay at a rental condo with no EV charging facilities. Any suggestions?

Check plugshare to see if there are any blink, chargepoint, evgo, or other charging stations around. What sort of electrical outlets
are available? I've successfully charged with a thick extension cord on both 15 and 20amp circuits but it's really slow.

Like others mentioned, look at plugshare. Its really a great app. There are a couple hotels, and one of them specified that there was an option for a non guest to use it. Also Bensons appliance is a short drive away in the next town and have an 80A capable HPWC, would be a great stopping point if its open.

Reactions: Ulmo
Thanks for the replies and suggestions. The few destination chargers I spoke of are from PlugShare and are patrons only. Benson’s Appliance in Foley, AL is 30 min. away from where we stay in Orange Beach. I did see that Lulu’s in Gulf Shores has 3 Tesla destination chargers and 2 J-1772 chargers. It is a 20 min. drive to Lulu’s. However, I assume these would only provide about 35 miles / hour of charge... please correct me if I am wrong.

Does your condo not even have 120V available somewhere. That can be quite sufficient for many situations. There are a number of hotels in the area with destination chargers, you may talk to the managers, maybe reach a deal, The Hampton has a Tesla destination charger and the Holiday Inn Express has a 80A Tesla destination charger.
As long as you talk to a location, maybe offer to pay for it, and don't park there when the lot is full, people will probably be nice.

But check for 120V plugs, may need to get a heavy gauge extension cord to reach it, but you can add a lot of miles overnight and during the day. May want to invest in a road cone to help keep the spot blocked.

we do something similar every summer and I always manage to find a 110 outlet to plug into. Yes, it's slow - but we also don't drive a significant amount of miles once at our destination. the slow charge is enough for us to drive locally as needed and get back to the first SC on the way home at the end of the trip.

I want to purchase a Tesla vehicle (Model X) and use it to travel to our annual vacation destination in Orange Beach, Alabama. The Supercharger network will get us from Thunder Bay, ON to Orange Beach, AL but there are no destination chargers for our 5-week stay. The few destination chargers in the area are for patrons only and are not at condos. We stay at a rental condo with no EV charging facilities. Any suggestions?
Every Tesla will come with a charge cord that has a 120 volt plug and a 50 amp 240 volt plug. This is the same plug used by most every RV motorhome made in the last 20 years. RV parks call this a "50 AMP" outlet. Call the RV parks in the area and see if they will let you charge up the Tesla for a fee. Most of the RV parks that I have talked to will let you work something out. 10 or 15 dollars is a common amount.

See RVParking.com | Find RV Parks, RV Park Reviews and filter by location and 50 amp outlet.

We stay at a rental condo with no EV charging facilities
Does the place understand that you only need an 120v outlet ? If the condo will not accommodate you then vote with your money.

By the way, I think it is generally true that Tesla destination chargers at hotels that only offer the EVSE to 'patrons' include visitors to their restaurants.

Last edited:
Reactions: Rocky_H and juliusa
we do something similar every summer and I always manage to find a 110 outlet to plug into.
Yes, it's slow - but we also don't drive a significant amount of miles once at our destination.
the slow charge is enough for us to drive locally as needed and get back to the first SC
on the way home at the end of the trip.
I was recently in a similar situation doing some remodeling in a hold house.
I used two 100 ft extension cords from Home Depot and I was getting 12 A and about 1 kWh on a 120 V plug.
Worked fine, took a full day to charge.

The few destination chargers I spoke of are from PlugShare and are patrons only.
PlugShare - Find Electric Vehicle Charging Locations Near You
"One Tesla High Power Wall Connector (80A) and one Clipper Creek J1772 (30A) are available for hotel patrons (and non-guests with permission)."

You could also call the locations and explain your situation, and ask if you could charge there. They may say it is fine, ask you to use their restaurant, or pay a fee.

If you don't want to take your Tesla, that is fine. I would take my Tesla there, and consider Orange Beach a charging mecca.

Thanks again for all the replies and good suggestions. I discounted using 120 V. thinking it is way too slow... but as noted, our local driving is limited so that could work. Using the local hotel / restaurant destination chargers for a fee is also a good idea... however, how long can you stay before being totally bored or annoying. How much charge can you get in an hour or two?

Thanks again for all the replies and good suggestions. I discounted using 120 V. thinking it is way too slow... but as noted, our local driving is limited so that could work. Using the local hotel / restaurant destination chargers for a fee is also a good idea... however, how long can you stay before being totally bored or annoying. How much charge can you get in an hour or two?
Plug-share reports either kW or Amps. If Amps then the kW will be dependent on whether the electrical connection is 208V or 240V.

I figure on 60 - 90 minutes for a restaurant meal. I'll guess then that the kWh supplied will vary from (Amps * Voltage * Hours) 32*0.208*1 = 6.6 kWh to as much as 64*0.24*1.5 = 23 kWh.

Pick your place wisely ;-)

Plug-share reports either kW or Amps. If Amps then the kW will be dependent on whether the electrical connection is 208V or 240V.

I figure on 60 - 90 minutes for a restaurant meal. I'll guess then that the kWh supplied will vary from (Amps * Voltage * Hours) 32*0.208*1 = 6.6 kWh to as much as 64*0.24*1.5 = 23 kWh.

Thanks for this tech. info... how far will a Model X go on say 10 kwh if driving normally (not ludicrous).

The charging rate at level 2 chargers varies a lot. A destination charger can provide up to 72 amps which is typically 15 kW since they often are not on 240 volt circuits, but rather 208 volt circuits. But that's only if you aren't sharing the circuit. I charged at one with two other cars and got more like 5 kW until one left. I should have switched over to the ClipperCreek charger which likely was on it's own circuit.

You can use any J1772 charger which often are available and even free. They also vary in speed, but usually are 30 amps so about 6 kW.

None of the level 2 chargers are very fast. Figure 3 miles per kWh in your model X. If it's cold (40's or colder) figure as low as 2 miles per kW. So 120 volts at 12 amps will only get you 1 kW so 3 miles per hour. That said, at one of my places that's how I charge. If my car is low it takes 3 days to reach 90%. Fortunately I don't drive locally so it works a treat to just leave it plugged in.

Last edited:
Reactions: Ulmo