Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

(Lack of) Superchargers in Whitefish, MT

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Good morning ,

I came to Whitefish in the hope to visit Glacier National Park and instead find myself in EV hell. There quite simply are no good charging options here. I did research online and found a few charging options although no Superchargers. I found a ChargePoint charger at the south end of town but it’s very slow and takes hours. Whitefish is a great place to visit but needs Superchargers. What a pain in the ass!!! Beware folks.

Kevin

No good charging options? There are many L2 chargers in Kalispell and Whitefish. Charge while you sleep. The Supercharger for Kalispell is still in the permit process. PlugShare - EV Charging Station Map - Find a place to charge
I'm very familiar with PlugShare and the other platforms that offer charging information. In fact I used PlugShare to make the decision to go to Whitefish. The problem was their information wasn't accurate. They said there were two Tesla specific level 2 chargers at a certain location that weren't there at all. There are a couple of ChargePoint DC chargers but you need to have an adapter. There are also two hotels with destination chargers but you have to be a guest or pay a high usage fee and they're not Superchargers. There are two chargers at the city hall parking structure but they're no better than 120v charging and the one level 2 charger I found was so slow it took me nearly 6 hours of charge time to get to the nearest Supercharger in Superior, MT with any degree of comfort. The simple fact is Tesla has it down and Superchargers are so much better than any other option out there.

As far as charging while you sleep, if you're comfortable leaving your car parked overnight at the ChargePoint location and walking back 2 miles into town to your accommodations go for it. It sounds like you're just reciting online info. With all due respect if you haven't been there your comments aren't valid .

• Disagree
Reactions: doghousePVD
I was in Whitefish last year. Yes it’s a beautiful town but with only level 2 you have to plan, bring a mobile charger, and charge fully at the last available supercharger on your route. It’s pretty bad that one of the most beautiful parks around doesn’t have a supercharger in the gateway town.

Reactions: bruce4000
I will second @Nosken , and I am there quite often, and really don't care for Whitefish. Has changed much over the last 20 or so. What hasn't I guess.

One does have to plan ahead. Either stay at a hotel with a charger or leave your car overnight. Yes it ain't cheap in the Fish. Kalispell Holiday Inn express goes for $400 a night in high season with no charger. The Red Lion is a dump. Cigarette smell floats in from the staff all the time.

Please enlighten us on those locations that were there, but not now. There are restricted destination chargers. Many times people forget to uncheck that box.

In the early days I would trade a six pack of good IPA's for a home charger near the mountain. He doesn't do that anymore.

Till Kalispell goes in plan ahead. Bring an adapter, but don't go in blind, and come out crying.

With all due respect if you haven't been there your comments aren't valid .
With, "less respect", I have charged at the Red Lion on two different trips from California. My comments are valid. Since you are new to this forum, it is easy to assume you are not an expert, and to try "coach" people on best practices. Most people don’t take offense to that. I guess I won’t mention that us road aware veterans also take charging hardware to use RV campground hook ups. I also used to have an electric scooter in the trunk for cross town charging situations.

Reactions: outdoors
With, "less respect", I have charged at the Red Lion on two different trips from California. My comments are valid. Since you are new to this forum, it is easy to assume you are not an expert, and to try "coach" people on best practices. Most people don’t take offense to that. I guess I won’t mention that us road aware veterans also take charging hardware to use RV campground hook ups. I also used to have an electric scooter in the trunk for cross town charging situations.
With less respect back to you. I never claimed to be an expert or coach anyone on anything. I simply related my experience. Had you bothered to mention you had been there rather than just including a PlugShare link it wouldn't have been an issue. I'm so thankful for you " Road Aware Veterans ", I just wouldn't know what to do without you...Not.

I was in Whitefish last year. Yes it’s a beautiful town but with only level 2 you have to plan, bring a mobile charger, and charge fully at the last available supercharger on your route. It’s pretty bad that one of the most beautiful parks around doesn’t have a supercharger in the gateway town.
I totally agree with you. The level 2's I use here at home 40 and 48 amp which are useable. The ones in Whitefish were only 30 and took forever. Live and learn I suppose.

Why didn't you use the 125 kW ChargePoint fast chargers?
I think was because those are CCS, and he would have needed an adapter or CHAdeMO adapter if his car wasn't enabled for CCS.

Really many expect there to be fast charging when they come from big cities. Yet if one saw no Supercharging, I personally would be super certain the place I was staying would have charging. Can one really count on leaving car on a vacation for a two mile hike, and do it all over again in the morning? Save the hiking for Glacier. I use a Onewheel for final couple mile situations like this, but sucks all the way around.

Hospital has charging, but @nwdiver said it went wacky after a period of time.

The locals with EV's have figured it out. We stay in our little box until winter time is over, and then head back to the interstates. Just kidding on the last part. Large proliferation in Flathead County and surrounding area of EV's. We all charge at home.

Any time you get far off the interstates you have to plan ahead. As for this particular area currently if you want to DC fast charge you’ll need a CCS adapter, no way around it.

For level 2 I can recommend the Sky Eco lodge near W. Glacier w/ their two destination chargers. Rooms are clean and not super expensive.

• Helpful
Reactions: Rocky_H
Any time you get far off the interstates you have to plan ahead. As for this particular area currently if you want to DC fast charge you’ll need a CCS adapter, no way around it.

For level 2 I can recommend the Sky Eco lodge near W. Glacier w/ their two destination chargers. Rooms are clean and not super expensive.
I stayed overnight at this place driving from CA on my way to the park , nice place yo stay and charge.