Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Lane Assist Vibration Very Light?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have read the V9 manual and have Lane Assist properly turned on but even at speeds above 40 I cannot feel any vibration or feel the car trying to steer me back into the lane. Am I not understanding the feature? Every time I tried it, the line markings have been excellent, no bad weather, no turn signal on, and I slowly tried to drift over the center line but the car just goes over it even to the point of the line being in the middle of the car. And just how noticeable is the vibration if that is the only thing it is supposed to do?

Thanks

Frank

I have read the V9 manual and have Lane Assist properly turned on but even at speeds above 40 I cannot feel any vibration or feel the car trying to steer me back into the lane. Am I not understanding the feature? Every time I tried it, the line markings have been excellent, no bad weather, no turn signal on, and I slowly tried to drift over the center line but the car just goes over it even to the point of the line being in the middle of the car. And just how noticeable is the vibration if that is the only thing it is supposed to do?

Thanks

Frank

The vibration is very light. If you live in CA or a place where the lane dividers are raised you may not feel anything.

With solid, painted lines you should feel it.

Either way it will not steer you back into your lane.

The vibration is very light. If you live in CA or a place where the lane dividers are raised you may not feel anything.

With solid, painted lines you should feel it.

Either way it will not steer you back into your lane.

Ah, OK on the no-steer-you-back. Our other car is a Volt and when you start to cross the line without signalling you know it - pretty forceful steering back into you lane. You can keep crossing the line but you know the car doesn't want you to. The manual does say something about steering you back if it senses an obstacle there like a passing car. Is that always the case or only when on EAP/Navigate on AP (I do have V2 hardware and full EAP)?

I will try it again and pay more attention for the vibration but if I still don't feel it will call the service center.

Thanks for the reply. Still trying to understand all the new features - had the car for 2 weeks.

Frank
Michigan

Ah, OK on the no-steer-you-back. Our other car is a Volt and when you start to cross the line without signalling you know it - pretty forceful steering back into you lane. You can keep crossing the line but you know the car doesn't want you to. The manual does say something about steering you back if it senses an obstacle there like a passing car. Is that always the case or only when on EAP/Navigate on AP (I do have V2 hardware and full EAP)?

I will try it again and pay more attention for the vibration but if I still don't feel it will call the service center.

Thanks for the reply. Still trying to understand all the new features - had the car for 2 weeks.

Frank
Michigan
The vibration is something less than you get if there are reflectors or physical bumps on the lines, but more than a rough road surface. It should be noticeable. You will also get phantom vibrations sometimes when it thinks you are crossing a lane line, but you are not.

• Informative
Reactions: skitown and FMinMI

Frank
Michigan

It may steer you back if it crosses a lane *and* senses an object. I have never had that happen and am not brave enough to investigate.

Reactions: FMinMI
It’s gotten a lot less noticeable in recent firmware versions. Use to feel like rumble strips. Now I have the hallucinate that it even does anything.
Does your Model 3 vibrate in the same lane position as your Model X and/or S? I also have an S 85D and its lane departure vibration happens right when the car hits the line (as I would expect). On my Model 3, the vibration occurs a foot or so beyond the line. It's not as helpful IMO.

• Informative
Reactions: BerTX
Does your Model 3 vibrate in the same lane position as your Model X and/or S? I also have an S 85D and its lane departure vibration happens right when the car hits the line (as I would expect). On my Model 3, the vibration occurs a foot or so beyond the line. It's not as helpful IMO.

Hmmm. Haven’t noticed but will pay attention more next time.

Reactions: skitown