Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Lane Change and Driver Attention Notification

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Had a weird experience today and wanted to know if anyone has had the same experience.

Model Y, FSD. 2021.4.12, 6 months into ownership

Today, driving on the interstate at speed, FSD activated, NOA activated, my car indicated it wanted to change lanes. The blue lane showed up along with the little box. Immediately the blue attentive driver "nag" shows up.
I indicate via the stalk that it is OK to change lanes, but it doesn't. I scroll the volume wheel (my normal response to the "nag") but it has no effect. I move the steering wheel a little bit, but again, no response. Blue lane with box is still there, blue "nag" is pulsating. The only way to get out of this before (I assume) getting put into the FSD penalty box is to wrench the wheel.

So I figured it was just a weird coincidence that these two things happened at the same time. Continue down the road and the car does the exact same thing - indicates it wants to change lanes and the "nag" immediately comes on. Same drastic solution was needed.

I start paying closer attention to the timing of the normal "nag". It seems correct, annoying as always, but not unusual. The lane change thing happens again in the same sequence, despite my having cleared the "nag" moments earlier.

This happens again and again. I gave up on the FSD/NOA and just drove "old school". This began about 1/2 way through a 350 mile trip.

Anyone have any similar occurences? Is there a solution/cure for this? Should I be concered?

Thanks for any help

Last edited:
I've found that the scroll wheel trick has never worked for lane changes. I've always had to put torque on the wheel. Also it seems like I get I twice. Nonce when it indicates it's going to change, and once again right before it does thr change 2-5 seconds later. Kind of annoying for the second one because giving it the torque has disengaged AP a few times. I've gotten much a much better feel for it now.

I wasn't clear about the scroll wheel. I do that in response to the "nag" for driver attention, not for the lane change. The lane change offer only responded to the stalk. But not when the two issues are present.

The "nag" still responds to the scroll wheel, when there is no lane change offered. It seems the two in conjunction is the problem (but I think it is caused by the lane change offer). The car seems to not know how to deal with this situation, so ignores all the normal inputs and forces an abandonment of FSD/NOA via the steering wheel.