Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Lane changes on Autopilot not smooth

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
New owner and still trying to get used to the car.

The lane changes in my Model 3 are not a smooth gradual blend, but rather a sharp, quick angle to the adjacent lane (or exit ramp), leaving me to wonder if the car will continue at the angle and slam into the side wall... or will it straighten in the new travel lane (so far it's the latter, but I'm not yet100% confident)

My friend that has a 3-4 (?) year old Model S, and said his lane changes are more gradual (normal driving style) merge into the new lane.

Are the cars designed (or programmed) differently across model type, or year... or is my car still learning and over time will the merges be more natural and smooth?

Are your lance changes/exits natural or...aggressive?

Thanks!

or is my car still learning and over time will the merges be more natural and smooth?
No.

The lane changes in my Model 3 are not a smooth gradual blend, but rather a sharp, quick angle to the adjacent lane (or exit ramp), leaving me to wonder if the car will continue at the angle and slam into the side wall... or will it straighten in the new travel lane (so far it's the latter, but I'm not yet100% confident)
I think it depends on the speed and traffic.

Try lane changes at 80mph with no traffic around and see how you feel about the abruptness. In that situation it seems pretty smooth for me but in busier situations at slower speeds I do think it can be a bit jerky and much less smooth than a human. I feel like it depends on several factors.

Reactions: haroldo
I did not mean to imply you should trust it. ....no matter how great the lane changes may seem
That's the problem, the lane changes and highway exits seem reckless (pardon the pun) and dangerous. I have under 1/2 second to determine whether I need to correct, or trust that the car isn't going to slam into the wall. I thought I saw a video at Tesla's website that mentioned "stress free driving...you'll arrive more relaxed..."

I don't trust nuthin'!

...My friend that has a 3-4 (?) year old Model S, and said his lane changes are more gradual (normal driving style) merge into the new lane...

Most likely it's a subjective interpretation of the experience depending on whether you are a driver or passenger. I have both Model X and Model 3. Initially, I thought Auto Lane Change smoothness was not that bad when I drove them. However, when I experienced it as a passenger, they are definitely so robotic and not smooth at all.

I went for a joy ride, found large open areas to practice lane changes with no other cars around, at it was definitely smoother.
As a new owner, I have to ask...how long does the "I think I'll take the 40 mile long way home, instead of the ten mile daily drive" last?

Reactions: tege and ahoen117