Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
No argument here. It remains to be seen if FSD v12 is really any better than previous iterations. FSD v12 is obviously yet another complete rewrite of the FSD stack - so we're 12 versions in now - and still don't have a production worthy version. Musk says v12 won't have a beta release - I will believe that when I see it. As I've always maintained - until Tesla backs off of their desire to produce a L4/L5 system and actually puts laser focus on producing a production worthy L2/L3 variant - we'll continue these endless beta phases for the next several years at least. There are too many edge cases where a true L4/L5 system just isn't going to happen any time soon - even Musk said as much at one point.
this is what pisses me off the most...I travel NYC to upstate NY every other weekend...L3 in slow moving traffic is 60% of the time, yet im still sitting in traffic having to nag and pay attention going 20mph...just f*cking release L3 in slow moving highway traffic its ready yet they want to take no responsibility or liability for their system

Reactions: HitchHiker71
this is what pisses me off the most...I travel NYC to upstate NY every other weekend...L3 in slow moving traffic is 60% of the time, yet im still sitting in traffic having to nag and pay attention going 20mph...just f*cking release L3 in slow moving highway traffic its ready yet they want to take no responsibility or liability for their system
Honestly find a weight for the steering wheel and just use it in low speed traffic. Keep your eyes to the front, but when I had a volvo with its pilot assist I found out that my cellphone resting on the wheel was the appropriate weight to turn the infernal nagging off. My hands were close to the wheel, I had eyes ahead (seriously), so I basically turned it into GM's super cruise. The nagging on these systems is irritating af sometimes. The nagging on volvo was more frequent than on my model 3, though. The nagging doesn't work properly anyway. I can have my fingers resting on the wheel with elbow on window and they still nag. They can also nag because we're going in a very straight line.

The nagging doesn't work properly anyway. I can have my fingers resting on the wheel with elbow on window and they still nag.
If you are applying torque to the steering wheel and you get nags, I would encourage you to schedule a service appointment. Simply resting your fingers on the wheel is not going to generate the torque that the sensor in the steering wheel is looking for.

In my car, I rest my forearm on my leg and my hand on the lower left of the wheel so that some weight is on the wheel, causing counter-clockwise torque, and I almost never see nags. I'm still subject to head and eye tracking, but I can quite lazily look around at intervals. I just can't get too carried away with ignoring the road. Either my car is tuned differently, or I'm interacting with it differently. The net result is a very relaxing drive so long as I follow the current road, including lane changes. Merges, exits and turns are another matter.

If you are applying torque to the steering wheel and you get nags, I would encourage you to schedule a service appointment. Simply resting your fingers on the wheel is not going to generate the torque that the sensor in the steering wheel is looking for.

In my car, I rest my forearm on my leg and my hand on the lower left of the wheel so that some weight is on the wheel, causing counter-clockwise torque, and I almost never see nags. I'm still subject to head and eye tracking, but I can quite lazily look around at intervals. I just can't get too carried away with ignoring the road. Either my car is tuned differently, or I'm interacting with it differently. The net result is a very relaxing drive so long as I follow the current road, including lane changes. Merges, exits and turns are another matter.
Oh, joyous season! We're back to wheel torque tutorials!

• Funny
Reactions: Dracaris
My wife just got her first Tesla a model 3. Here is the question, while Tesla is pushing their free trial of the fsd, I really don’t want it. I’m fine with the base version of AP, because she only wants to use on the highway. The first interactions with fsd have been scary and I don’t like it at all. It was worse than a 16 year old driving. We had fsd navigating home in a 35 mph zone and the car knew it had to turn for over a mile. It didn’t even remotely slow down when getting near our street then banked right knowing it had to turn left before I had to intervene. Wtf is this? People paid 15k for this?
Can someone tell me how to use autopilot only, as I feel like to use AP Tesla requires me to click accept on fsd beta as well. I guess I could always go to Tesla and tell them remove the fsd trial?
Try using it in an area you know there is little traffic and rather than grabbing control, let it do what it's going to do and see how it actually performs. There have been times where I had the side seat driver moment where I wanted to grab control, but decided to let it do it's thing and it did just fine. I just over-reacted. Like when you see traffic backing up on the freeway, you typically start slowing down farther back rather than staying at speed until last minute. I'm freaking out like it's not going to stop and then it slows down and everything is fine. It's just a bit more aggressive with that slowing down then I am in my own casual driving. It takes a while to get used to something else being in control of the vehicle you are supposed to be driving and are responsible for. I think that's the biggest mental challenge. If you are in the passenger seat, you just trust what the driver is doing. You aren't responsible for whatever happens. When you are in the drivers seat, you can blame FSD all you want if it causes an accident. The blame is still going to be put on you by the insurance company.

I'm with you. At its current level, Tesla couldn't pay me enough to use FSD - and I can say that with confidence after trying out the latest iteration repeatedly over several weeks. EAP on controlled access highways is pretty decent, though, as long as you realize it usually can't handle merging itself into traffic or other traffic merging in from the right. I sincerely hope they get this figured out and update all our cars with that V12 everyone keeps referring to, and I want it to be a success. If that happens you can always subscribe to the service later on.

You can easily turn off FSD in the car's settings. You want beta autosteer (which is generally fine) and traffic aware cruise control. That's all. The car won't anticipate or participate in turns or lane changes, and it won't stop at stop signs or traffic lights. So, basically old school cruise control with lane keeping. This is the base feature set that comes with the car. Auto wipers will still drive you nuts when using these features, and without USS distance estimates are more of a SWAG, but at least it won't do terrifying crazy stuff. We were very satisfied with that feature set for two years in our leased 2021 Model 3P.

Last edited:
Seem to me that FSD creates lot of surprises and headaches to drivers.
In simple and ideal conditions, it could work great. But real life traffic is never simple nor ideal. Can FSD avoid pot holes on highway roads ? Pot holes could be damaging.

Seem to me that FSD creates lot of surprises and headaches to drivers.
In simple and ideal conditions, it could work great. But real life traffic is never simple nor ideal. Can FSD avoid pot holes on highway roads ? Pot holes could be damaging.
The auto steer on freeway real make me uncomfortable as I have to keep both hands on the steering wheel. I got arm cramp and stress , I feel much more comfortable and relaxing with auto steer off.

The auto steer on freeway real make me uncomfortable as I have to keep both hands on the steering wheel. I got arm cramp and stress , I feel much more comfortable and relaxing with auto steer off.
Seriously I only drive one hand to avoid nags. Keeping both hands on the wheel will not produce a torque strong enough for FSD to detect. You need to make FSD recognize either you pull the wheel down on the left or right, not both sides.

Reactions: JB47394 and DrChaos
Seriously I only drive one hand to avoid nags. Keeping both hands on the wheel will not produce a torque strong enough for FSD to detect. You need to make FSD recognize either you pull the wheel down on the left or right, not both sides.
Exactly right. The direction and suggestive icon to "keep both hands on the wheel" is misleading. Doing that is less effective and more tiring.

De-nagging in practice means occasionally changing the torque (oscillating)---not holding a constant torque, especially one balanced on both sides. The roller buttons work even better and more reliably to de-nag anyway.

Reactions: rlsd
Full Self Driving is only a dream, achieved only in best conditions such as simple routes with not too many turns, entrance / exit, not too many cars around, surrounding cars must strictly follow traffic laws. FSD could work flawlessly thousand times (if it ever does), it only take one mistake with serious consequences to destroy its reputation (which it has been).
I can't imagine spending 12K for this FSD thing.
My wife drive my Tesla using just the pedal and rarely the brake. She is happy this way.
The large screen showing surrounding cars, easy for backup, easy to change lane as the screen shows RED when changing lane is NOT SAFE.