Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Lane Departure Avoidance

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I turned on Lane Departure Avoidance for Warning and let vehicle depart lane but I did not hear any warning chime. I wonder what I am doing wrong.
It only works above certain speeds. It will not work if you have the turning indicator on, if the lane lines are dodgy, or if Omicron Percei 6 is in retrograde.

Also, chimes are something that, I think, must be turned on.

When Lane Departure Avoidance was turned on, option for Warning or Assistance needed be selected. I selected Warning. I assume that means I get audible warning. But anyway I did not get warning in any manner. I was driving at about 40miles/h.

When Lane Departure Avoidance was turned on, option for Warning or Assistance needed be selected. I selected Warning. I assume that means I get audible warning. But anyway I did not get warning in any manner. I was driving at about 40miles/h.

With warning set, you will get a vibration of the steering wheel. The logic is tricky though - the car has to think you are unintentionally drifting - it won't always trigger if you drift out of your lane - or deliberately steer out of it. Also speed matters.

Every so often, when I see one of these threads after I've gotten a firmware update, I make a point to once again test LDA by doing the following:
  • Ensuring LDA is enabled
  • Ensuring LDA is set to "assist"
  • Finding a clearly-marked, multi-lane road
  • Finding a section with no other traffic
  • Putting car in center lane at appx. 43 MPH
  • Steering enough to start to drift toward a lane line and then not applying any further torque to the steering wheel
  • Observing
Each and every time, I observe the following behavior: As the car gets to the point where it is nearing the lane line, the MFD will show an Autosteer-like blue lane line on the side I am encroaching upon. A moment later, the car will self-steer back toward the center of the lane. The car will not correct the drift as it passes the center of the lane. This is repeated in the opposite direction upon encroaching the opposite lane line. I then consider the test a success and move on with my life.

If you have corrective steering enabled, that will supercede wheel vibration, as it's using the actuators to turn the wheel rather than to buzz it.

Hmm maybe I’m reading it wrong.. or maybe it isn’t working on my car, I will thoroughly test it in the am..

This is what my manual says..

Lane Departure Avoidance
Depending on your vehicle's configuration, this feature may not be available.
Lane Departure Avoidance provides steering interventions if Model S drifts into (or close to) an adjacent lane when driving between 40 and 90 mph (64 and 145 km/h) on major roadways with clearly visible lane markings. Touch Controls > Autopilot > Lane Departure Avoidance and choose:

OFF: You are not warned of lane departures or potential collisions with a vehicle in an adjacent lane.
WARNING: The steering wheel vibrates if a front wheel passes over a lane marking while the associated turn signal is off. A visual warning on the instrument panel is also displayed.

WARNING: The steering wheel vibrates if a front wheel passes over a lane marking while the associated turn signal is off. A visual warning on the instrument panel is also displayed.

ASSIST: In addition to the steering wheel vibration and a visual warning, Model S attempts to steer to a safer position in its driving lane if the vehicle detects drifting or a potential collision while the associated turn signal is off.

But when I hit the little info button next to the lane departure avoidance option it doesn’t mention “vibration of the steering wheel”.. As shown in the attached image..

Attachments

• A195E581-E685-44C8-8167-46BE10C422DC.jpeg
    A195E581-E685-44C8-8167-46BE10C422DC.jpeg
    486 KB · Views: 74
I’d also like some clarification on this, I’ve witnessed corrective steering and a chime alert but not steering wheel vibration..

Does that mean it’s not equipped or it’s malfunctioning.. the vibration that is

It's both. It depends how bad it is. If it doesn't think you're drifting, it doesn't warning. A minor drift on the line will shaking the wheel. A major one might trigger the beeps and red steering wheel warning.

With warning set, you will get a vibration of the steering wheel. The logic is tricky though - the car has to think you are unintentionally drifting - it won't always trigger if you drift out of your lane - or deliberately steer out of it. Also speed matters.

This is accurate. I've tested this many times - every time above 30mph, on both highways and side roads. I have mine set to "assist", but sometimes it also makes an audible alert.

On the highway it seems to work every single time, whether I've drifted intentionally or not. It may be the more prominent road markings, wider lanes and/or higher speeds...I'm not totally sure. No matter how I go over the lines (drift or intentional nudge), it assists and steers me back into the lane. IIRC, I've never gotten an audible alert on the highway.

On side roads it seems like the programming logic changes. If I intentionally steer over the lines (apply turning force to the wheel), nothing ever happens...no audible alert, no assist. I've tried it multiple times. IMO this is very bad!! One day the system might think I've intentionally drifted and not assist, and I could end up driving into a ditch. I always pay attention and never drink and drive, so this will probably never happen, but you never know... one day I may be drowsy and fall asleep or have some sort of medical condition and pass out with my hands still on the wheel applying some force...you never know! Now on the other hand, if I just let the wheel go and let the car drift over the lines, it assists and steers me back into the lane.

Like I said before, sometimes it also gives a loud audible alert after assisting, with a warning message displayed on the screen, "vehicle is drifting out of the lane, take control immediately". I can't really figure out the rhyme or reason for this, but I will do more testing.

Also, @Shane23, this is the model 3 section, not model S...the software might be different?

This is accurate. I've tested this many times - every time above 30mph, on both highways and side roads. I have mine set to "assist", but sometimes it also makes an audible alert.

On the highway it seems to work every single time, whether I've drifted intentionally or not. It may be the more prominent road markings, wider lanes and/or higher speeds...I'm not totally sure. No matter how I go over the lines (drift or intentional nudge), it assists and steers me back into the lane. IIRC, I've never gotten an audible alert on the highway.

On side roads it seems like the programming logic changes. If I intentionally steer over the lines (apply turning force to the wheel), nothing ever happens...no audible alert, no assist. I've tried it multiple times. IMO this is very bad!! One day the system might think I've intentionally drifted and not assist, and I could end up driving into a ditch. I always pay attention and never drink and drive, so this will probably never happen, but you never know... one day I may be drowsy and fall asleep or have some sort of medical condition and pass out with my hands still on the wheel applying some force...you never know! Now on the other hand, if I just let the wheel go and let the car drift over the lines, it assists and steers me back into the lane.

Like I said before, sometimes it also gives a loud audible alert after assisting, with a warning message displayed on the screen, "vehicle is drifting out of the lane, take control immediately". I can't really figure out the rhyme or reason for this, but I will do more testing.

Also, @Shane23, this is the model 3 section, not model S...the software might be different?

Lol, yea I did a search versus creating a new post about the same topic didn’t realize It was model 3 until after the fact... good information none the less

Ok, this is pretty stupid and I'm actually very annoyed. Last night was my longest time in the car in one sitting since I picked it up 2 weeks ago, and the first time my wife has even driven in the car! We were going to dinner about 30-40 minutes away.

For some reason, the lane departure system, which I was trying to show off, failed miserably. This is the first time I've witnessed this...and of course, while I'm trying to show off the feature! Murphy's law I guess.

It was ALL back roads to the restaurant, so I figured I'd test it yet again. The roads were pretty empty so I was able to test it about 10 times. All the lines were every pronounced and not faded. I tried intentionally going over the lines (both solid white on the shoulder and double yellow, single yellow and dotted lines in the middle). It worked less than half the time. It didn't matter if I intentionally nudged it, or let it drift on its own.

This is seriously concerning. My wife was obviously unimpressed. She pointed out the obvious - if the system is supposed to keep me on the road, it wasn't doing a good job AT ALL! I would understand if the lines on the road were faint or not there at all, but that wasn't the case.

I don't know if it normally doesn't work all the time on side roads, which is ridiculous, but I'm seriously thinking about getting it checked out.