Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Lasted 6 Days

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Well, It took 6 days from delivery until my X had to be towed back to the SC. The driver’s FWD won’t close completely. It latches, and tries to pull closed, but then pops back out maybe a mm. The car says the door is still open. I’ve run through all the reset techniques, tried recalibrating the door (over and over again), and “reset the sensors” while on the phone with Tesla Service. Nothing is around the door jam and all seals/trim looks good. This is the second time this happened. First time was day two of ownership and after recalibrating over and over, it finally closed. I worked on closing it for an hour today before calling roadside assistance. I’m pretty sure it is misaligned.

On the plus side, everyone I talked to at Tesla has been great. They have been really understanding and continually apologetic. Service department isn’t open until Monday, so they couldn’t coordinate a loaner, but they setup a rental in the meantime. They even gave me a $200 Uber credit to use until I can pickup the rental tomorrow morning. The battery is down to 20%, and since the car won’t shut off while the door is “open,” I called the SC (got ahold of a salesman) and explained the battery situation. They are going to make sure it gets plugged in as soon as it arrives to ensure the battery doesn’t die while waiting for service on Monday.

On top of this issue, I’m having them also look at the following:
  • “Clunk” when passenger front door closes
  • Noise when turning wheel in “high” suspension
  • Radio sometimes making crackling/popping noise
  • Water falling in passenger side FWD
  • Charge port not opening when I push the button on the charge plug
  • Something rubbing on the passenger front door window, leaving a light mark
We’ll see what happens.

17CF6949-8F9B-4642-9ABA-2491296916E2.jpeg

2020 MX LR, Silver Metallic, FSD, 20” Wheels

Well, It took 6 days from delivery until my X had to be towed back to the SC. The driver’s FWD won’t close completely. It latches, and tries to pull closed, but then pops back out maybe a mm. The car says the door is still open. I’ve run through all the reset techniques, tried recalibrating the door (over and over again), and “reset the sensors” while on the phone with Tesla Service. Nothing is around the door jam and all seals/trim looks good. This is the second time this happened. First time was day two of ownership and after recalibrating over and over, it finally closed. I worked on closing it for an hour today before calling roadside assistance. I’m pretty sure it is misaligned.

On the plus side, everyone I talked to at Tesla has been great. They have been really understanding and continually apologetic. Service department isn’t open until Monday, so they couldn’t coordinate a loaner, but they setup a rental in the meantime. They even gave me a $200 Uber credit to use until I can pickup the rental tomorrow morning. The battery is down to 20%, and since the car won’t shut off while the door is “open,” I called the SC (got ahold of a salesman) and explained the battery situation. They are going to make sure it gets plugged in as soon as it arrives to ensure the battery doesn’t die while waiting for service on Monday.

We’ll see what happens.

View attachment 472523
Sorry to hear. Hope all gets resolved pretty quickly for you. Mine went in with 39 miles on it for 3 weeks. The HV coils stuck and my car got bricked in my driveway for a week until they could figure out how to tow it out properly. All is good now after replacing them. I too also have that crackling on the radio mostly happens on the xm side. Let me know what they say and if/how they fix it.

• Informative
Reactions: mswlogo
Update: Got my X back yesterday. The SC addressed everything, but I haven’t had the car back long to ensure everything is good. Here’s the brake down according to the SC:
  • “Clunk” when passenger front door closes - adjusted door striker
  • Noise when turning wheel in “high” suspension - don’t know, but it stopped
  • Radio sometimes making crackling/popping noise - firmware update
  • Water falling in passenger side FWD - adjusted FWD
  • Charge port not opening when I push the button on the charge plug - firmware update
  • Something rubbing on the passenger front door window, leaving a light mark - piece of weather stripping got folded over inside door; replaced
The experience overall was smooth. The rental ended up being a “luxury” vehicle, and I was able to leave the rental right at the SC when I pickup up my Tasla. Enterprise picks the rental up from the SC. Throughout the process, I got regular texts from Tesla with updates and I was able to ask any questions I had. It sucked to loose my X for a few days, but they really made it as painless as possible IMHO.

Update: Got my X back yesterday. The SC addressed everything, but I haven’t had the car back long to ensure everything is good. Here’s the brake down according to the SC:
  • “Clunk” when passenger front door closes - adjusted door striker
  • Noise when turning wheel in “high” suspension - don’t know, but it stopped
  • Radio sometimes making crackling/popping noise - firmware update
  • Water falling in passenger side FWD - adjusted FWD
  • Charge port not opening when I push the button on the charge plug - firmware update
  • Something rubbing on the passenger front door window, leaving a light mark - piece of weather stripping got folded over inside door; replaced
The experience overall was smooth. The rental ended up being a “luxury” vehicle, and I was able to leave the rental right at the SC when I pickup up my Tasla. Enterprise picks the rental up from the SC. Throughout the process, I got regular texts from Tesla with updates and I was able to ask any questions I had. It sucked to loose my X for a few days, but they really made it as painless as possible IMHO.

Sounds awesome. Thanks for sharing.

Hopefully my final update. Got my Tesla back late today. SC said the door shut as soon as they got the car and the could not recreate the problem. They looked at the logs and confirmed I wasn’t making the issue up. They changed out the door sensors so hopefully that solves the problem. Time will tell.

Well, the saga continues. Thursday morning, same FWD wouldn’t close all the way. Did all the normal resets (scroll wheel reset, 4-button reset, power off reset), & recalibrated the door. Still couldn’t get it shut. I didn’t have time to wait for a tow, so I took the wife’s car that day. Came back after work and still wouldn’t close. Let it sit overnight and tried all troubleshooting again with no luck. Called tow and they brought it down to the SC. They setup a loaner pretty quickly.
They texted today about 10:30am and said it was going into diagnostics. No update since then.

Not sure what they can do at this point since they changed the sensors last time. Ohio lemon law is three service visits for the same problem and this is the 3rd visit. I really don’t want to lemon law this car, I love everything about it. I just want to go out to my car in the morning and be able to open the door, shut it, and drive to work. Is that so much to ask?

• Informative
Reactions: cwerdna
Picked up my X today from service. Service manager called me yesterday to talk through the issue more since this is the third time it’s been in. They could never reproduce the problem and all they see is “object detected” in the logs. Apparently none of the information I have been passing in the text messages with “Tesla” ever get to the actual techs. Once I explained what was actually happening with the door latching, then opening again, the service manager immediately talked about the two different latches in the door. Apparently there is the traditional latch like an ICE vehicle, then there is a second latch that ratchets the door closed. If the second latch was malfunctioning, it wouldn’t hold the door closed and kicks out an “object detected” error. Bottom line, they replaced the second latch. Time will tell in that’s the solution.

Last edited:
Reactions: mswlogo
Picked up my X today from service. Service manager called me yesterday to talk through the issue more since this is the third time it’s been in. They could never reproduce the problem and all they see is “object detected” in the logs. Apparently none of the information I have been passing in the text messages with “Tesla” ever get to the actual techs. Once I explained what was actually happening with the door latching, then opening again, the service manager immediately talked about the two different latches in the door. Apparently there is the traditional latch like an ICE vehicle, then there is a second latch that ratchets the door closed. If the second latch was malfunctioning, it wouldn’t hold the door closed and kicks out an “object detected” error. Bottom line, they replaced the second latch. Time will tell in that’s the solution.
Let us know how it goes. Hope that resolved it for good!

Reactions: AFMagum

We’ll see what happens.

View attachment 472523

Some are lucky and some unlucky...you seem to have lost the Tesla lottery like I did.

Hope you won't have anymore issues. You are in OH, so SC prolly bound to remain nice. For the real Tesla SC experience, try one in NorCal or SoCal!

Reactions: AFMagum
Definitely sucks to have that happen, but it appears they finally identified and fixed the problem. We've had our X 100D since September 2017 and the only issue I've had it in for was the third row seat wouldn't fold up. Turned out to be a loose bolt that needed tightening. Otherwise, it's been a stellar car - especially in the snow and cold. We actually got snowed in one time on the freeway and slept comfortably in the car.