Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Late 2020 Demo or New 2021 Y??

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I am looking at getting a Y and understand the 2021 comes with double panes front windows, heated steering wheel and an updated center console. I haven’t seen a side by side of the two consoles what are your preferences? Is it worth waiting for a 2021 or getting the savings on a demo 2020? The sales agent also said the 2021 would handle better... any ideas what they have changed in the handling? Any input appreciated.

It doesn't (or shouldn't) matter what we think. Your preference is what matters. Look at the two consoles and see which one you like better.

As for discounted demo vehicles, the discounts are typically modest. This isn't scientific but Tesla typically discounts demos ~$1 per mile on the clock. Given all the updates to MY throughout 2021, I'm not even sure why someone would want a 2020.

And one more thing: trust but verify everything a SA tells you.

It doesn't (or shouldn't) matter what we think. Your preference is what matters. Look at the two consoles and see which one you like better.

As for discounted demo vehicles, the discounts are typically modest. This isn't scientific but Tesla typically discounts demos ~$1 per mile on the clock. Given all the updates to MY throughout 2021, I'm not even sure why someone would want a 2020.

And one more thing: trust but verify everything a SA tells you.
There was a 2020 model with 3k miles and had the performance software but no big brakes, no performance wheels and lowered ride height. i though about it since it was discounted. i was told some 2020 models had the performance 0-60 in 3.5 in non performance package available early 2020 models. i didnt end up getting it cus i wanted a new car and not a used car. but i was close to getting it, i just wished they offered it on 2021 models instead of the acceleration boost for 2k.

There was a 2020 model with 3k miles and had the performance software but no big brakes, no performance wheels and lowered ride height. i though about it since it was discounted. i was told some 2020 models had the performance 0-60 in 3.5 in non performance package available early 2020 models. i didnt end up getting it cus i wanted a new car and not a used car. but i was close to getting it, i just wished they offered it on 2021 models instead of the acceleration boost for 2k.

That’s a “Stealth” model. They were more expensive than just the normal long range model. Many people wish the stealth would remain an option (no uberturbine wheels, no lowered suspension, no spoiler, etc). Many consider them the ideal model (both for the 3 and Y).

Reactions: mark95476 and RT-3
@acarney or anyone else, why is the stealth model ideal? I still see them available as used inventory. Is the lowered suspension a downside?

I've toyed with that vs a new 2021. Just wondered if there have been enough minor tweaks on 2021 to make it a better buy. But in general the speed boost without the full performance price seems like a good compromise.

Lowered performance suspension is driver's preference. People with M3 and MYs have been replacing their stock suspension with MPP coilovers.

Personally, I never got excited over Tesla's staggered 21" wheels and thought it was a downside of getting the P.

@acarney or anyone else, why is the stealth model ideal? I still see them available as used inventory. Is the lowered suspension a downside?

I've toyed with that vs a new 2021. Just wondered if there have been enough minor tweaks on 2021 to make it a better buy. But in general the speed boost without the full performance price seems like a good compromise.

The Stealth is often considered the "golden" ideal Performance version because it has all the acceleration and performance of the full on Performance package, BUT, it also has the 19" or 20" wheels. There are more tire options for those sizes (including actual full winter tires), they ride a little softer, and the largest factor, they seem to protect the wheels a little more from damage due to bad roads. You also get a little extra range from the 19/20s, I think about 20 miles under ideal conditions. Some people like the look of the spoiler, some don't, so that's largely down to personal preference, but there are after market versions that are identical to Tesla, and seem to stick on better.

I'm actually not 100% sure the stealth versions have the lowered suspension or not, if they don't, it's actually probably a plus unless you plan to autocross or take the vehicle on the track a lot. For a cross over most people want a little more ground clearance for rough driveways, slight off roading (think driving down rutted gravel roads at a state park or farm or something) and snow. All those add up to a negative for lower suspension.

Mostly preference on those things, but a huge amount of people want a little more usability and protection for those wheels while at the same time getting the power, hence why they like the Stealth.

EDIT: I forgot the 21s are staggered! You can't rotate those. That's going to cut down life on them a bit more too, and larger tires = larger price. Those 21s look nice, but that's about it.... again unless you track the car all the time. In that case just buy a set of track wheels down the road.

I think it's worth it to wait. We're not talking months, only a few weeks difference. Unless the discount is significant (it's not), why would you risk losing some cool features such as double panel or heated steering wheel (and possible larger battery) just to get it a few weeks earlier. Plus, in the future, if you want to resell it, those features may increase the value of your car over the demo.

Thanks for replies. Yeah, I'm not a fan of owning the 21s, but they look cool. Definitely see the 21's up for sale on marketplace for those who buy performance and swap wheels.

For me it's that I want the P acceleration, don't care about track, lowered suspension or 21s. But of course want to have my cake and eat it too -- which means I'd prefer the better fit and finish and newer (although sparse) new features.

Can't go wrong either way I suppose. I gave my son my car, so I've been commuting in a 7.3 diesel at nearly 4 bucks a gallon! Haha and I have large solar system installed.... Easy to see why Teslas are on my mind, front and center.

Reactions: Jemblue7my