Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Latest black versus white seats

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

MarcG

Oct 29, 2014
San Francisco
Hi all, I'm considering purchasing a Model 3 Performance instead of a P100D now (as 18650 cells likely won't take full advantage of Supercharger V3 rates, sadly) so I have a question for current owners on Model 3 seats -- and yes, I did a bunch of searching on here and other forums before posting.

For background, I recently sold my Model S P85D, which had the next-generation seats on both rows, and I absolutely loved them. My girlfriend has a P90D with black textile seats that I find terrible, as I feel like I'm sitting "on" them instead of "in" them.

Anyway, I've read a bunch of feedback comparing the first-generation black seats to the newer ones, as well as various reviews of the white seats independent of the black seats. However I'm trying to figure out which seats I would order for a new Model 3, so I'm hoping some of you who have experienced both latest versions (for more than just a few minutes, preferably while driving) can provide your input on the pros and cons of the two?

For reference, this would be a weekend car for long trips, some of which through winding roads (and I like to push the limits of traction :D)

Thanks in advance!

Last edited:
We have one of each. While I much prefer the aesthetics of the white interior, my wife much prefers the easy maintenance of the black (dark grey) interior. My wife will admit the white looks better, but she knows she would not maintain it properly, whereas I'm pretty OCD about it.

We have one of each as well (two Model 3's one with black interior, one with white). The seats are excellent, on par with Audi and BMW I would say, and having to drive a Model S loaner car is torture after these. Very happy with them for long trips, and hard cornering.

The white cleans really well, however the one down side is that if you, or your friends, wear a lot of dark jeans you will get dye transfer on the white seats. Pretty much everything else wipes off easily, and it's not hard to maintain. I like the look of the white, but not sure I would get it again, just because my seat is starting to have a faint blue tinge and it's really hard to get it off.

My Model 3 with white seats was in the body shop for 2 weeks, getting delivery paint defects and panel alignments corrected.

When I got the car back, the seats had a faint blue/black tinge on them. I used Gyeon Leather Cleaner Strong on them and the tinge came right off. Decided to use Gyeon Leather Shield on the seats after that. Seems to be working so far.

My Model 3 with white seats was in the body shop for 2 weeks, getting delivery paint defects and panel alignments corrected.

When I got the car back, the seats had a faint blue/black tinge on them. I used Gyeon Leather Cleaner Strong on them and the tinge came right off. Decided to use Gyeon Leather Shield on the seats after that. Seems to be working so far.
Mine came back the same way, for the same things, I also ended up putting on the Gyeon Leather Shield :)

You sold your P85D?!?! J/k

I have white seats in my Model 3 and find they’re more comfortable than the nextgen seats in my P85D and premium seats in my Model X. Maintenance hasn’t been an issue. The kid dirt and crumbs wipes away easily.

We have one of each. While I much prefer the aesthetics of the white interior, my wife much prefers the easy maintenance of the black (dark grey) interior. My wife will admit the white looks better, but she knows she would not maintain it properly, whereas I'm pretty OCD about it.

We have one of each as well (two Model 3's one with black interior, one with white). The seats are excellent, on par with Audi and BMW I would say, and having to drive a Model S loaner car is torture after these. Very happy with them for long trips, and hard cornering.

The white cleans really well, however the one down side is that if you, or your friends, wear a lot of dark jeans you will get dye transfer on the white seats. Pretty much everything else wipes off easily, and it's not hard to maintain. I like the look of the white, but not sure I would get it again, just because my seat is starting to have a faint blue tinge and it's really hard to get it off.

Thanks guys. How about comfort/support in spirited drives and long drives? Any difference between the two?

You sold your P85D?!?! J/k

I have white seats in my Model 3 and find they’re more comfortable than the nextgen seats in my P85D and premium seats in my Model X. Maintenance hasn’t been an issue. The kid dirt and crumbs wipes away easily.

Haha I did. Didn’t you??
Interesting that you find the white seats in the 3 more comfy that the next-gen, that’s a good sign I guess.
How are they in lateral support while cornering hard in your P3D?

I have a model S with white seats and a 3 with black. I find the white is a softer material and stays cooler in the sun. I am careful of dye transfer, like washing new clothes a few times and I dont wear wear jeans often or pants with rivets and buttons on the back. So far no stains after 2 years. The seats in the 3 are a little more supportive and snug. The S seats are a little wider. My wife prefers the black, she doesn't want to be as careful.

Thanks guys. How about comfort/support in spirited drives and long drives? Any difference between the two?

We take the AWD with white interior for ski trips to Tahoe and our RWD black interior to LA. We don't notice any difference between the two in terms of comfort on long drives. I can't speak to any difference in support for spirited driving.

The Model 3 seats are pretty comfortable for longer drives. I commute / drive a lot for work (at least 500 miles a week) and have very few complaints. The seats seemed to be too "squishy" at first, but after a while I got used to them. I'm 6'2" and the thigh support could be a little longer, but that only presents itself on a LONG day of driving.

As for spirited drives, I've never seen Tesla seats that offer very decent lateral support. They are on par with base / comfort seats in modern BMW's. Definitely not as good as my Cayenne, my previous GTI or my 911 in this regard (and my 911 does not have the sport seats). There aren't many canyons to carve here in Houston, thankfully, and they aren't horrible on the on-ramps or anything like that. But they aren't very aggressively bolstered.

Hi all, I'm considering purchasing a Model 3 Performance instead of a P100D now (as 18650 cells likely won't take full advantage of Supercharger V3 rates, sadly) so I have a question for current owners on Model 3 seats -- and yes, I did a bunch of searching on here and other forums before posting.

For background, I recently sold my Model S P85D, which had the next-generation seats on both rows, and I absolutely loved them. My girlfriend has a P90D with black textile seats that I find terrible, as I feel like I'm sitting "on" them instead of "in" them.

Anyway, I've read a bunch of feedback comparing the first-generation black seats to the newer ones, as well as various reviews of the white seats independent of the black seats. However I'm trying to figure out which seats I would order for a new Model 3, so I'm hoping some of you who have experienced both latest versions (for more than just a few minutes, preferably while driving) can provide your input on the pros and cons of the two?

For reference, this would be a weekend car for long trips, some of which through winding roads (and I like to push the limits of traction :D)

Thanks in advance!
We have two sets of black seats in our model 3s and although I had originally planned to get one of the cars with the white interior I'm glad I didn't.

Whether black or white they are superbly comfortable - among the best available in any car at any price. The disadvantage to the black of course is how hot they get in the Sun. The disadvantage to the white is how much they're going to eventually show all kinds of stains even if Tesla has made them relatively stain resistant. The vegan leather is very easy to clean and seems very durable. But we'll see how they look in 2 years

Haha I did. Didn’t you??
Interesting that you find the white seats in the 3 more comfy that the next-gen, that’s a good sign I guess.
How are they in lateral support while cornering hard in your P3D?
Love my white seats. Had mine coated for extra protection, and they clean up well, even with 2 kids (2 & 7).

However, they are not track worthy, and I'm dreading the slip and slide at the next track day. I'm looking for a solution for future track days, but will deal with bracing myself on the dead pedal and with the steering wheel...

Reactions: Bill Foster
Love my white seats. Had mine coated for extra protection, and they clean up well, even with 2 kids (2 & 7).

However, they are not track worthy, and I'm dreading the slip and slide at the next track day. I'm looking for a solution for future track days, but will deal with bracing myself on the dead pedal and with the steering wheel...

Interesting, do you think the seats are too slippery from the factory, or may your extra protection coating have something to do with it?