Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Latest "Finalize your order" date

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Russ:
Any early indication as to whether the Model X will indeed be overy 6,000 lbs. GVWR? That could be a big factor in sales volume. When looking for an SUV a couple years back some (like the MDX) just missed that mark and were excluded. I ended up with an '08 Range Rover, which I don't regret.

I corrected the increase, which is $6,600 incl. CA state sales tax in my case. I emailed George Blankenship, who is an awesome executive IMHO, and he replied directly to our issue just 4.5 hours later:

"
George Blankenship
Jan 29 (2 days ago) to me, Troy, Alex, Brian, Michelle

Hi Russell,

Nice to hear from you. Unfortunately anyone who is waiting for Model S leasing will have to do so under the new pricing structure. Leasing is not planned to start until late in 2013 and all orders under 2012 pricing will be done well before that.

I hope you are off to a great New Year!

Best Regards,

George

"

I'll cross-post this new information to all the "Leasing" threads, too, when I get a chance.

My wife and I will probably cancel our 12/31/2012 reservation on principle and patiently wait to buy and depreciate Model X P#83 as a Heavy SUV (if over 6,000 lbs. GVWR), or just lease it to write-off the payments.

Russ

Actually, the 60kWs are in production.

Well, a Tesla rep just told me they go into production in March.

tesla said:
On Jan 30, 2013, at 1:25 PM, Sybille Rizzolli <[email protected]> wrote:

Hi ####,

Thanks for your email. If you were to order the described Model S below on 02/26 you would take delivery of your car between March – June. We have not started production of the 40 and 60 kwh battery yet and will start in March.

Just hit the Finalize button (2/3/13) and given a Feb/March delivery window. Grey/Grey, 85kWh, Lacewood, Pano, 21", Air, Tech, Sound, Twin, Armor. Reservation #14409 placed on 11/26/12. Invitation to Finalize email and button appeared 1/15/13. Pretty quick delivery if it really does show up this month, would have prefered April/May to get ready, but I'm not complaining.

Just hit the Finalize button (2/3/13) and given a Feb/March delivery window. Grey/Grey, 85kWh, Lacewood, Pano, 21", Air, Tech, Sound, Twin, Armor. Reservation #14409 placed on 11/26/12. Invitation to Finalize email and button appeared 1/15/13. Pretty quick delivery if it really does show up this month, would have prefered April/May to get ready, but I'm not complaining.

Lucky you! I wish I had my finalize button (Res. # 18,278) :(

Just got my finalize button/email. Res #18.418. Reserved on Jan 19, 2013. Hard to contain my excitement..

Awesome, I also received my finalize button today.
Got the finalize button at 8:34PM, Reservation #18,278. Finalized my car at 9:42 and now waiting on the final paperwork to be sent tomorrow during business hours.

Here is my configuration:
Tesla Model S Performance, Pearl White, All Glass Panoramic, Carbon Fiber Spoiler, 19" Wheels, Tan Interior, Carbon Fiber Decor, Tech Package, Sound Package, Paint Armor, Twin Chargers + High Power Wall Connector.

Let me know what you guys think.
I'm a bit nervous about the car's range and the build quality etc. but I know Tesla is great with customer service so I'm sticking with it.

My delivery window is March/April (according to the finalize order page, every car finalized before March 3rd has that delivery window).
Can't wait for the car to get here! Now I need to find a buyer for my old car.

Also, can someone someone explain the procedure from here. How does financing work? Does Tesla have a bank that they work with? Do I contact them now, or will someone from Tesla get in touch with me about it?
What's a good interest rate for financing 60 months?

Got my finalize buttom today also, Res #18,606. They stated the dates March/April! WOW It's happening!

They are really pushing to get the numbers up before next week's conference call so that they can claim that people don't need to reserve anymore and wait 9 months for their car. It's good for the company but may not necessarily be good for the stock price.

They are really pushing to get the numbers up before next week's conference call so that they can claim that people don't need to reserve anymore and wait 9 months for their car. It's good for the company but may not necessarily be good for the stock price.
I don't know. If not a lot of deferrals or cancellation then these dates indicate ramp up to 600 cars a week. If the latter very good for stock price. If the former will be a lot of tears among the longs

I don't know. If not a lot of deferrals or cancellation then these dates indicate ramp up to 600 cars a week. If the latter very good for stock price. If the former will be a lot of tears among the longs

My concern is that if Tesla doesn't say something strong in the conference call, investors could interpret this as tesla is ramping up production (which is good) but no one is looking to buy to keep pace w production numbers (very bad). That being said, I don't think that the company will have any problem hitting the 20K number this year for sales and swing a profit... But the car is super expensive and having to wait 3 yrs before the 30K models hit the street is bound to make some investors nervous.

My concern is that if Tesla doesn't say something strong in the conference call, investors could interpret this as tesla is ramping up production (which is good) but no one is looking to buy to keep pace w production numbers (very bad). That being said, I don't think that the company will have any problem hitting the 20K number this year for sales and swing a profit... But the car is super expensive and having to wait 3 yrs before the 30K models hit the street is bound to make some investors nervous.

I tend to agree. They don't need to pump out 20k of these cars a year. They won't sell that many in the second year. All the early adopters have likely already bought in. The other folks are either never going to buy, or waiting for the costs to come down.

Pumping out another car which is a little bigger and just as expensive is probably not the right way to go. I mean, the S has tons of space anyway. I suspect the X will be a did of a dud. Now the 30k model, should it actually happen, will be a huge success. It will be the true game changer.

I tend to agree. They don't need to pump out 20k of these cars a year. They won't sell that many in the second year. All the early adopters have likely already bought in. The other folks are either never going to buy, or waiting for the costs to come down.

I definitely don't agree with that. There are huge numbers of people who aren't familiar with the car who are potential customers once they start seeing them. I think this is a car that appeals to much more than early adopters. Just look at all the interest that owners of the car get driving around. Definitely the key is ongoing reservations, but they look to have sustained a 20,000/yr rate in January, not only the slowest month but the first month after a price increase. I certainly expect the reservation rate to increase in the months ahead. We'll see.

Pumping out another car which is a little bigger and just as expensive is probably not the right way to go. I mean, the S has tons of space anyway. I suspect the X will be a did of a dud. Now the 30k model, should it actually happen, will be a huge success. It will be the true game changer.

I don't necessarily agree with that. The Model X does have a novelty factor with the doors, and also is AWD which is a big deal for the North East...

The Model X uses the same platform as the Model S so it's relatively inexpensive to produce. Estimates vary widely, but an average number expected for most manufacturers to develop a new platform is about $1B. Tesla doesn't currently have anywhere near the cash available to develop the platform for a smaller car. They need to produce enough cars from their current sized platform to get investors/banks to believe strongly enough in their long term position to be able to borrow or raise the necessary cash. Another new DOE loan is probably not an option this time given the current lack of Washington support for the program. Hence, it looks like Tesla will wait to invest in smaller platform until they can show investors positive operating profit in Q3 and follow that up with some fundraising. Given all that, using the current platform to offer another vehicle type with similar wheelbase in the Model X is actually a pretty good idea (also battery tech won't advance to the point of offering a $30k car with sufficient range for at least 2-3 more years so hiding the large battery cost in high priced luxury cars is the most viable option right now).

How many 80-100k cars are sold in the US each year? The great majority of car sales are 50k and below. We shall see. I hope I'm wrong. I hope Tesla takes off like a bat out of hell. I just think it's tough to sell luxury cars in volume. There are few companies that do. BMW, Mercedes (in the US at least), Porche, Audi, Land Rover, Volvo. If you look at their sales, the great majority are below 80k.

So it's a very expensive car. You need to have a range of vehicles at different price ranges to be a major player. Being from silicon valley doesn't change that equation.

Last edited: