Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Latest Software Version For "standard" Update Option?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just got my Model 3 so am not familiar with the update process. Was wondering what the latest software version should be if I just have the 'standard' software update option selected? Picked my car up on the 18th and it has v2019.15.103. I believe if I check 'advanced' I'd get them more quickly, but not looking for that. Just trying to understand the process and if my car is where it should be in terms of updates if 'standard' is selected.

No one knows what the "standard" or "advanced" slider actually does, and there is really no such thing as "what software my car SHOULD be on". Tesla does updates to cars / vins in a cycle.

the latest current software is 2019.20.2.1 . That means that you might get that one, or you might get the one after that, whatever it is, when tesla decides to send you the update. The advanced slider is SUPPOSED to enable you to get updates "faster" but there is no proof that it does anything.

I have only seen people post about firmware 15.103 for Standard Range (or maybe SR+) cars. Which car did you buy?

Just got my Model 3 so am not familiar with the update process. Was wondering what the latest software version should be if I just have the 'standard' software update option selected? Picked my car up on the 18th and it has v2019.15.103. I believe if I check 'advanced' I'd get them more quickly, but not looking for that. Just trying to understand the process and if my car is where it should be in terms of updates if 'standard' is selected.
Make sure you have a strong WiFi signal, turn off “Keep Climate On” and you should get 2019.20.2.1

I have mine on Advance and I thought it would automatically download for you but no, it didn’t.

Tip: tap 3 times on the download box to advance the 3 minute timer to Zero.

Fred

Last edited:
No one knows what the "standard" or "advanced" slider actually does, and there is really no such thing as "what software my car SHOULD be on". Tesla does updates to cars / vins in a cycle.

the latest current software is 2019.20.2.1 . That means that you might get that one, or you might get the one after that, whatever it is, when tesla decides to send you the update. The advanced slider is SUPPOSED to enable you to get updates "faster" but there is no proof that it does anything.

I have only seen people post about firmware 15.103 for Standard Range (or maybe SR+) cars. Which car did you buy?

I took delivery 6/19, LR AWD, and have 15.103. Have tried every trick I have read short of scheduling service to initiate an update. I'm a computer tech, so having software several versions behind current makes my teeth itch.

I took delivery 6/19, LR AWD, and have 15.103. Have tried every trick I have read short of scheduling service to initiate an update. I'm a computer tech, so having software several versions behind current makes my teeth itch.

Sounds like it’s time to schedule a firmware update through service. You can schedule an appointment on your phone app. You won’t have to go in, they will push it out remotely.

Sounds like it’s time to schedule a firmware update through service. You can schedule an appointment on your phone app. You won’t have to go in, they will push it out remotely.

They will only do so if its queued for your car... at least that was what I was told when I contacted them via chat based on your information in another thread.

I am not saying you were wrong at all.. I am just saying that, they told me that unless it shows for my car, they wouldnt push it out (when I contacted them via chat asking them to push the update to me because I was on 12.X and 16.X and 20.X were going out.. and I am supposed to have "priority updates" via referral award which has never gotten me anything.

They will only do so if its queued for your car... at least that was what I was told when I contacted them via chat based on your information in another thread.

I am not saying you were wrong at all.. I am just saying that, they told me that unless it shows for my car, they wouldnt push it out (when I contacted them via chat asking them to push the update to me because I was on 12.X and 16.X and 20.X were going out.. and I am supposed to have "priority updates" via referral award which has never gotten me anything.

Yes, you are correct that the people on chat can only push an update if it has been scheduled. But the people at the service center can push an update regardless if it has been scheduled or not. And if you tell them you are having some problems that are software related (freezing screens, random reboots, camera goes black, etc) that is usually enough for them to want to push the latest software update to see if it fixes things before they ask you to bring the car in for service.

Yes, you are correct that the people on chat can only push an update if it has been scheduled. But the people at the service center can push an update regardless if it has been scheduled or not. And if you tell them you are having some problems that are software related (freezing screens, random reboots, camera goes black, etc) that is usually enough for them to want to push the latest software update to see if it fixes things before they ask you to bring the car in for service.

Thats true, SC can push software (and they usually update you if you come in etc).

So far, the "Standard" vs "Advanced" is a giant mystery - as is the order in which a car is queued up for an update. Based on reports from those of us who have it selected and those who don't it's absolutely true that some who have "standard" received updates before those who have "Advanced" so as far anyone knows right now, it doesn't mean anything. My personal guess is they really haven't hooked that up yet on their end, but unless some Tesla employee starts posting here, we're all in the dark.

For figuring out which one is the "latest" - the best way is to look at the fleet software page on TeslaFi there you can get a breakdown of what percentage of Teslas have which version of the software. Keep in mind this is just representative of TeslaFi members. (PS. Let me know if you want a referral - we both get a free month :cool:). Like right now 86% of Model 3 cars have 2019.20.2.1

Make sure you have a strong WiFi signal, turn off “Keep Climate On” and you should get 2019.20.2.1

I have mine on Advance and I thought it would automatically download for you but no, it didn’t.

Tip: tap 3 times on the download box to advance the 3 minute timer to Zero.

Fred
Hmm. Turned off Climate on, but still no download. I'll give it 'til Monday then call my local SC to see if my situation warrants a firmware push from them.