Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Latest Tesla Motors-Related News (Feel Free To Post Here)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
There is not much point of opening up battery tech patents. They are not the problem.Toyota wanted so much batteries from them, they just couldn't supply.Why every other car maker is only producing a handful of EVs? And even intentionaly designing cars that would only have limited appeal? They just cannot buy more batteries for more electric cars.They don't have access to GWh of batteries. It's that simple.
I disagree, it's not that simple, hence my post above."Access to batteries" is a matter of making a factory that produce them, and so it will be done. Supply and demand is linked to price, yet even with vast amount of batteries, they still need to be charged faster to compete with burning fossil fuel. The limitation to charging the battery fast enough is a provision to keep it cool (or warm, when it's freezing cold). This is what Tesla Motors have solved so successfully, and this is what - with the current battery technology - is essential to master for any EV producer to make a competitive product, in terms of range and charging time.

The problem of battery supply is a chicken-and-egg problem. Many companies have already gone out of business or were sold off cheap in bankruptcy because they built the manufacturing capacity before they had the customers to buy finished product. Nissan is slowly ramping up battery production capacity because they are not willing to buy the materials with long lead times from outside suppliers far enough in advance to respond more quickly to increased vehicle demand. The difference is that Tesla knows the target and is willing to risk the capital to get there.

I disagree, it's not that simple, hence my post above."Access to batteries" is a matter of making a factory that produce them, and so it will be done. Supply and demand is linked to price, yet even with vast amount of batteries, they still need to be charged faster to compete with burning fossil fuel. The limitation to charging the battery fast enough is a provision to keep it cool (or warm, when it's freezing cold). This is what Tesla Motors have solved so successfully, and this is what - with the current battery technology - is essential to master for any EV producer to make a competitive product, in terms of range and charging time.

So it seems it is pretty close to what I wrote a few posts up.

I might not be right about the cheap licensing - he might actually give several of the patents away entirely freely for anyone to use.

In either case, it's good to see a real gentleman. A man who is on a mission not just to make money and gain power, but to make this world a better place for all. At least, a better place for all except those few that presently benefit personally from the fossil fuel addiction the world is suffering so badly from.

It's neither mis-spelling nor bad grammar:

AllYourBaseAnimated.gif

Captain: What happen ?
Mechanic: Somebody set up us the bomb.
Operator: We get signal.
Captain: What !
Operator: Main screen turn on.
Captain: It’s you !!
CATS: How are you gentlemen !!
CATS: All your base are belong to us.
CATS: You are on the way to destruction.
Captain: What you say !!
CATS: You have no chance to survive make your time.
CATS: Ha ha ha ha …
Operator: Captain !!
Captain: Take off every ‘ZIG’!!
Captain: You know what you doing.
Captain: Move ‘ZIG’.
Captain: For great justice.

Somebody set up us the bomb

Dear Elon Please Do What You Think is Best for Humanity (dont worry about the patents) | Forums | Tesla Motors

The thread above was started about a week before the patent-release announcement. My own guess was some kind of very cheap licensing, the totally open-source approach is really great!

It's neither mis-spelling nor bad grammar:

View attachment 51446

Somebody set up us the bomb

Dear Elon Please Do What You Think is Best for Humanity (dont worry about the patents) | Forums | Tesla Motors

The thread above was started about a week before the patent-release announcement. My own guess was some kind of very cheap licensing, the totally open-source approach is really great!

This is like Google's Android, it's going to be game-changing.

The problem is, now that Tesla goes open-source, will the respective "Samsung", "LG" and "Sony" in the auto industry contribute or will they simply take advantage of "Google"?

I trust Tesla for its selflessness, I don't trust the rest.

This is posted elsewhere here on the forums, yet still worth mentioning here:

http://video.cnbc.com/gallery/?video=3000285676

Elon Musk interviewed by CNBC.

I have held a high regard for Elon Musk, and his achievements (mainly with electric cars, and to some extent with solar power), but after watching this, I have elevated him to permanent divine status.

Not only is he doing the right thing, but he is so genuine and natural, to the bone. For something he doesn't know, he says "I don't know", instead of pretending or talking around the subject. He is so non-boasting and humble, and very respectful towards everyone, even competitors and people who try to stop him and his efforts. No name calling or ridiculing of even the worst of haters.

Often in an interview or other video, you want to fast forward, or get annoyed by the way the interviewer(s) try to control the outcome from a script - not one single time did I wish to skip anything here.

Well worth 21:30 minutes of your life to watch.

Subjects cover the whole range, more or less, from Tesla, Gen III/Gigafactories, patents "release", solar city, spaceX, AI, investments and more, pretty nicely summed up.

What we see here is a person speaking honestly and sincerely from his heart.

Well played, Elon, well played, although it's obviously neither play nor acting.

Last edited:
Don't know whether you can say Android is game changing. I guess it is if you like viruses and warez. Even Samesung is moving away from it now with Tizen.

How and where was Android mentioned - I missed that?

Just like Tesla needs its Nissan Leafs and BMW i3s, so do Apple need Samsung, Nokia and so on.

Competition is not only good and keep you on your toes, it also makes it possible to benchmark your product against something else. Hopefully above that something else​!

How and where was Android mentioned - I missed that?

Just like Tesla needs its Nissan Leafs and BMW i3s, so do Apple need Samsung, Nokia and so on.

Competition is not only good and keep you on your toes, it also makes it possible to benchmark your product against something else. Hopefully above that something else​!

I can't agree more with DITB. Android, for one thing, is open source. It's all about sharing. Never heard of Apple opening up their API completely and welcoming the concept of "sharing" and competition.

I can't agree more with DITB. Android, for one thing, is open source. It's all about sharing. Never heard of Apple opening up their API completely and welcoming the concept of "sharing" and competition.

If Android is open source:
a) Where's the source for the next version of Android (compare with easy-to-find link for next version of Linux)?
b) Where's the source for the google stuff that makes it useful (mail, play, maps, etc)?

A good background read:
Google’s iron grip on Android: Controlling open source by any means necessary | Ars Technica

If Android is open source:
a) Where's the source for the next version of Android (compare with easy-to-find link for next version of Linux)?
b) Where's the source for the google stuff that makes it useful (mail, play, maps, etc)?

A good background read:
Google’s iron grip on Android: Controlling open source by any means necessary | Ars Technica

The background read says it well, Android IS open source, only the Google apps sources aren't, so my point remains valid.