Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Latest you can change color?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Long story short, I placed my order on Jan 13, confirmed on the 20th. Got my VIN 28 Jan.

On around Feb 5th I went to the SC to change the color. From Obsidian to Midnight Silver. The DS told me that I should wait to make the change since my car wouldn't go into production until Mid March at the soonest. He stated there would be a $500 change fee, which I understand, but said that I should wait and make sure there is nothing else I want to change so waiting would be a better idea. Further they said they were going to get an Obsidian X in and wanted me to see it first before I decided to change.

When I hadn't heard anything in a few weeks I reached out to the DS show in the My Tesla page. On Feb 21 I informed that I wanted to make the change and being that I was still a month and a half from delivery there should be no issue. I got no reply until this week and was notified that my car was now in the "3 week pre production" window and I would not be able to make any changes.

Has anyone had this type of issue? Any idea what my options are? Swap for inventory? Cancel order? Do I get my $2500 back since the car has not entered production yet? Push harder to get the color changed?

Thanks

Ugh. That sucks. When I was looking to make a change, I asked my DS what the ultimate deadline was, even to the point of specifying if it's by end of business that day, etc. just because I didn't want something like this to happen.

At this point, I would certainly push hard for the change, especially since they're the ones that told you to wait, and then didn't respond in a timely manner, thereby helping to create this situation.

You likely won't get your money back. Best hope is to either swap for inventory or get them to move the deposit to a new order.

That's kinda what I'm thinking. Although a new order will likely mean the loss of FUSC and ventilated seats. Not to mention a much longer delivery time. Not a deal breaker but that just really sucks. You try your best to prevent things like this from happening by asking all the right questions. I have seen people that have been able to get their deposits back if they cancelled before production. Just not sure how much of a headache that is.

Something similar happened to me with one key difference. I ordered and confirmed my Model X before there were any test vehicles. While waiting for my Model X to go into production, I was able to do a test drive and discovered I much preferred the 6 seater to the 7 seater I had ordered. My DS advised me to wait to make changes until I was sure about all the changes I wanted to make to avoid multiple $500 penalties just like you. Each time my Model X was about to go into production, I called my DS up delayed it because of early quality issues. The third time I went to do this, I had PASSED the time the DS told me to make the changes and he told me it was too late and car was in production. I tried to talk myself into the 7 seater, but ended up canceling my order and losing what was then $5000 deposit. I did not complain much because I had missed the deadline the DS had warned me about. In your case, you were well within the time the SC guy told you could make, so yes by all means you should be able to apply your deposit toward another vehicle. However, I guess you have no documentation of this discussion since it was in person? Does the person at the SC remember this conversation? Without a paper trail, you will have to count on "the customer is always right" company philosophy. I hope Tesla does right by you. Good luck.

At this point the the DS at the SC does recall the conversation and is not denying it. Is delaying delivery maybe an option? Then making the change. At $100k+ I just know I'll be kicking myself every time I walk outside and see the black vs gray. I'm about 50% sure that if I keep pushing I might get them to change, I'm just not sure if I have any leverage to really push the issue.

I was having the same color dilemma prior to ordering. I received my Obsidian yesterday and the color is SO gorgeous and rich that I am now reconsidering my thoughts on a Stealth Xpel and will probably just get the clear Xpel. In the sun, it is something to behold (and as I said, I loved the Midnight).

I have Midnight Silver and love it. The Black looks awesome if you get the black wheels. The two things that are annoying with black is that scratches and dents really show and black shows dirt more. But it looks like you like in FL so you will not have a lot of the dirty issues other states have. I say go for black.

My DS is now saying the car is already finished and will be shipping this week!!

To make matters worse, I found the exact color/combo I want on Tesla Inventory.com. Only difference is no ventilated seats and no FUSC. But its the Midnight Silver Metallic. The craziest part, out of all the places in the Country it could be . . . its already coming to My service center!!! Should I take that as a sign?

Still trying to put my value on FUSC. I honestly plan to charge at home most of the time. But just like having the option to super charge for free. Plus I plan on giving it to my son in 6 years. I'me sure he would appreciate free charging.

Does anyone have the link to the thread where someone broke down the true cost saved from super charging for free?