Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Learn TPMS values… where?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello guys,

Lowered my pressure at 37psi on my MXP on 20s and now I am getting a low tire pressure warning, is there a way for the car to learn the new psi values?

Could do this with my 2020 M3P but now I can’t find the option on the MXP.

Thanks!
JC

Sorry. I thought you meant you wanted the warning to go away and that you could already read the TPMS values. If you just want the car to know new tmps values, yes, changing the wheel type in the main screen and then driving it a while will read the right values.

Hello guys,

Lowered my pressure at 37psi on my MXP on 20s and now I am getting a low tire pressure warning, is there a way for the car to learn the new psi values?
Could do this with my 2020 M3P but now I can’t find the option on the MXP.
Thanks!
JC
Why do you want to under inflate by so much? That will kill both your tires and increase your energy consumption.

some ppl reported no rear inside edge wear with lower pressure..
i'm curious about this as well, i didn't find anywhere how to re-learn desired starting pressure (i have 2016)
best i could do is keep it at 38 cold to avoid warning...

its NOT lol. Pressure fluctuates +/-5psi just due to weather (verified in my car)
maybe 27... even then its questionable depending on the tires/cars..
bunch of cars have factory recommended pressure below 37
Teslas are very heavy because of the batteries. The tires are also XL (extra load) to be able to handle that mass. What we learnt from our time with light cars may not apply here. I won't get too worried above 40psi, but below 40, I would definitely think about the weight of the car pushing on the tires too much.

A model X plaid weighs 5300+ lbs, a Prius weighs 3000lbs. I have a programmable electric tire pump set to 42psi in winter and 45psi in summer and if any goes close to 40, I just pump up to the spec.

its NOT lol. Pressure fluctuates +/-5psi just due to weather (verified in my car)
maybe 27... even then its questionable depending on the tires/cars..
bunch of cars have factory recommended pressure below 37
IIRC the pressure that triggers a TPMS warning is set at like 25-30%. That percentage comes from the DOT. Lower tire pressure isn't dangerous if you understand the tradeoffs. In this case, I think the pressure is so low it's going to affect turn in and load rating (whatever that might be).

Teslas are very heavy because of the batteries. The tires are also XL (extra load) to be able to handle that mass. What we learnt from our time with light cars may not apply here. I won't get too worried above 40psi, but below 40, I would definitely think about the weight of the car pushing on the tires too much.

A model X plaid weighs 5300+ lbs, a Prius weighs 3000lbs. I have a programmable electric tire pump set to 42psi in winter and 45psi in summer and if any goes close to 40, I just pump up to the spec.

There's nothing special about the X. XL tires have existed long before Tesla.

Reactions: brainhouston

i knew someone will bring this up :)

Yes i'm aware of Teslas being much heavier that ICE cars but not every car...
My V8 Jeep Commander has curb weight of ~5100lbs (+ ~6500lbs of towing) n recommended pressure on the sticker is 35 psi
Prius is 3k lbs but runs on 195mm width tires where X is at least 265...
Area of the pressure supporting the weight matters.

Bottom line, i drive/drove with pressures ranging 30-40 psi without any issues.
Sure it'll wear out ur tires faster or uneven but its not 'dangerous', don't scare ppl for no reason.

Under 20 psi i'd consider dangerous n irresponsible ...
Yet i still see plenty of cars driving with almost flat tire cause they lack TPMS n don't bother checking, most tires still hold up...

Reactions: James Cole and ngng
I was curious so I did a quick search. I wonder if some systems allow you to set a pressure up to a certain limit?

Interesting..
Maybe its just a coincident that all other cars were close to sticker pressure n reset didn't really do anything.

However, 25% of 42 is 10.5 so it should trigger at 31.5 on Tesla but i've consistently got yellow warning at 37..
I think Tesla actually has yellow and red thresholds... maybe red is for 25%... and yellow or half of that?..

Interesting..
Maybe its just a coincident that all other cars were close to sticker pressure n reset didn't really do anything.

However, 25% of 42 is 10.5 so it should trigger at 31.5 on Tesla but i've consistently got yellow warning at 37..
I think Tesla actually has yellow and red thresholds... maybe red is for 25%... and yellow or half of that?..
prob just a coincidence. Unless you are in a truck or trailer most passenger and SUVs are going to be in a similar range.

Reactions: brainhouston