Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Just got a MXP pics & couple of issues...

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello guys,

Happy MXP owner here, got a 8/23 production batch came with 20" and Pilot Sport EV tires and Matrix lights which is great.

Before purchasing I did drive an early 23 that I rented from Turo, that one had the 40mph vibration and some pulsing/vibration if the first mile of driving, as if it needed to warm up and then went away.

The MXP I just got does not have the 40mph vibration or the 80+ steering wheel vibration but couple of problems persist that the one I drove also had:

-Shudder when accelerating hard: when accelerating aggressively (suspension in low) there is like this mechanical shudder coming from the drivetrain, it just doesn't accelerate as smoothly as my M3P where you just feel the thrust, this was present in both MXPs, no abnormal noises just a "shudder" or like mechanical binding, could be tires struggling from traction but am not sure.

-Door open button: Its a hit or miss when trying to opening the front doors from the inside, takes a while to open or sometimes the button does not register the touch, both MXPs had this as well and not sure if there is a fix or mod to make it work better.

Pics...

tempImageHQwZdl.png
tempImageZdSqRs.png

Thanks
JC

Last edited:
@James Cole - in response to the door button open issue, mine has been very reliable. I don't like that the switch has no haptics and feels flat and without feedback - but it does work and works every time I use it (so far).

On the acceleration shudder question - my '23 MXP was a June 2023 build and it is smooth as glass. No shudder at all from a standing stop or anywhere in the acceleration band. One thing I will say is that I periodically will have a "rushing" sound (I don't know how else to describe it) around the 40mph mark on some days initially after pulling out of my driveway, but I chalk that up to the horrible Continental tires my car was supplied with. They develop flat spots and even out after just a minute or so of driving.

And speaking of which - yours is the first MX that I've seen delivered with Michelin Pilot Spot EV tires - consider yourself VERY lucky that you didn't get the Continentals. I looked up those tires on TireRack and it seems they are now discontinued(!?!?!) so I have no idea what's going on there, as they look like a good tire by the specs. I would have certainly considered them as replacements for my Continentals, despite the reviews on TireRack not being that good...nothing can be as bad as the ride/handling of the Continentals.

Reactions: James Cole
@James Cole - in response to the door button open issue, mine has been very reliable. I don't like that the switch has no haptics and feels flat and without feedback - but it does work and works every time I use it (so far).

On the acceleration shudder question - my '23 MXP was a June 2023 build and it is smooth as glass. No shudder at all from a standing stop or anywhere in the acceleration band. One thing I will say is that I periodically will have a "rushing" sound (I don't know how else to describe it) around the 40mph mark on some days initially after pulling out of my driveway, but I chalk that up to the horrible Continental tires my car was supplied with. They develop flat spots and even out after just a minute or so of driving.

And speaking of which - yours is the first MX that I've seen delivered with Michelin Pilot Spot EV tires - consider yourself VERY lucky that you didn't get the Continentals. I looked up those tires on TireRack and it seems they are now discontinued(!?!?!) so I have no idea what's going on there, as they look like a good tire by the specs. I would have certainly considered them as replacements for my Continentals, despite the reviews on TireRack not being that good...nothing can be as bad as the ride/handling of the Continentals.

Yeah I got lucky, the tires feel great and I get no vibration at high speeds like some have reported here and they do look better.

Thanks a lot for the info...

JC

Reactions: EightBitWhit

Known problem for years. I don’t follow any more but it seems like the “solution” for years was to replace the half shafts. When problem returns, do it again.

Last edited:
My June build 23' MXP also seems completely smooth on acceleration. But I do have some vibration from 45 to 60mph or so that's not excessive, but certainly noticeable and annoying. From what I've read here it sounds like this is likely the tires being utter rubbish (the continentals). Finally measured my rear camber at around -2degrees even between the sides in low. Planning to get my rear camber shims installed once I have time to try again and get the required tools to finish it.

@EightBitWhit mentioned the "rushing" sound moments after starting to drive. I do notice a sound that I considered was likely an air pump for the air suspension after it's been parked awhile. Happens during the first moments of driving and then goes away.

On those inside door buttons, I've noticed they are certainly capacitive and require a decent "press" to register dryer fingers.

Congrats on the MXP, it looks excellent, love your pic...