Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Learning a bit more about Tesla Computers

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
As a new owner I was recently nudged by some nice folks here that I could benefit from a better understanding of the computers onboard my Model 3.

A couple resources I found most helpful in my learning that I thought I would share in case others other are looking to get up to speed too:

High-level overview. Reinforces that the MCU and AP are entirely separate computing systems:
Autopilot, Processors and Hardware – MCU & HW Demystified | TeslaTap

Overview (from June 2018) up through HW2.5 w/Nvidia:

Amazing presentation by Pete Bannon on HW3 architecture (w/Tesla's new custom chip) :

===> Jump to Time Mark 1:11:45 (time link in the url was stripped off)

Please share others if you have them. thx

Last edited:
First video is something I haven't seen. I wish the audio were louder and not so monotone. He put me to sleep :D
As for Pete, I understand much of what Pete says (being an electronics engineer), but for a general audience, he really should be put some things in more of a layman's terms. The wife started playing games on her phone when he started talking o_O
Thanks for the link

yes, I understand, but the room was full of mostly financial people and a couple of them even commented that they understood "some" of what he said. :D

Some analysts are "just" financial people. Many are not and have experience or educational backgrounds in the fields they cover -- one guy who used to cover my previous company was an MD/JD with an MS in physics (and, IIRC, an MA in history).