Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Improve the Tesla Dashcam by upgrading side repeater cameras?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

scottf200

Feb 3, 2013
Chicagoland
Perhaps I've missed threads about this but on the 'DÆrik' youtube channel they showed upgrading the front fender (side repeater cameras) from RCCC AP2.0 to RCCB AP2.5/3.0 versions [albeit for ~$130 each]. The output for the Dashcam and rear backing up seems a lot better.
Aside: on my X the repeater camera chrome tops currently have tiny indents from hail (2 birds 1 stone?)

However, I'm concerned that the calibration or some configuration needs to be done ... in order for this to work for FSD when it is more feature-complete? ??

Based on past posts I wonder if @kdday or GreenTheOnly (twitter -- can't find his TMC userid) know if there are configuration options/settings for the side repeaters????

kMmu47P.jpg

above via: Autopilot, Processors and Hardware – MCU & HW Demystified – TeslaTap

Background info I had from some other TMC post or elsewhere:
RCCC and RCCB are color filters on the camera sensor.
RCCC = Red Clear Clear Clear pixels in a 4 pixel-clusters.
RCCB = Red Clear Clear Blue.
Regular "color" cameras are RGGB (G=Green) in a bayer pattern.

9WAiFPc.jpg

NcpVh6j.jpg

----------
cQh68v6.jpg

For those of you attempting what @Akikiki is doing by physically installing a tuner and hoping to convince Tesla Service to change your car configuration to enable it (who knows if they even will or can - Toolbox may not even allow them to try), you could say something like this:

I would say :

Dear Tesla Technician -

I know that my MCU2 retrofit means that I will lose AM/FM/XM radio because part of the retrofit process does NOT include replacing the old analog tuner (for mcu1) with the new digital tuner (for mcu2).

However, I have replaced the tuner myself, and all the wiring is completed. I've even routed the single cable to the rear of the MCU so you can plug it I to mcu2 once your retrofit is complete.

However, mcu2 will not provision the new tuner unless you enable it in the gateway's internals.dat car configuration. It's my understanding that all that needs to happen is to change "ethernettunertype 1" to "ethernettunertype 0" (or just removing that line entirely" in the gateway and it'll start to work.

Would you mind doing this while Toolbox is connected?

Thank you

Reactions: fr100
Thanks. That looks like a general thread on all the AP2.0 to AP2.5/3.0 cameras and I'm just talking specifically about the front fender/side repeater two cameras. And the impact of doing that.

It's a long thread but people did talk about just doing the repeaters. It's in there.

(I know this because I split that thread off from another thread, and in doing so had to read every message, twice because I goofed it up the first time. Ironically none of this is useful to me personally because I drive an AP1 car. :rolleyes:)

Bruce.

• Helpful
Reactions: scottf200
Looking to purchase a used 2016 Model S, it says that it has AP 2.0, but comes with FSD. Can i get a free upgrade to 3.0?

Also, am I missing out on much if I get a used 2016 vs a 2020 model? (Ignoring recent refresh

Tesla will upgrade the autopilot computer to HW3 (or HW4 if you wait long enough).

You’ll have to upgrade the cameras yourself if you want true color. Same with the radar, although no known benefit.

The redundant steering servo wiring and breaker/fuse setup likely can’t be upgraded.

But you will want to spend $1500 to upgrade to MCU2 so you can use sentry and dashcam better.

I plan to get a late 2016 X to compliment my AP2.0 S, just like you are thinking.

Last edited:
Tesla will upgrade the autopilot computer to HW3 (or HW4 if you wait long enough).

You’ll have to upgrade the cameras yourself if you want true color. Same with the radar, although no known benefit.

The redundant steering servo wiring and breaker/fuse setup likely can’t be upgraded.

But you will want to spend $2500 to upgrade to MCU2 so you can use sentry and dashcam better.

I plan to get a late 2016 X to compliment my AP2.0 S, just like you are thinking.
Ahh good to know. Can I purchase the color cameras through Tesla and have them install it?

• Disagree
Reactions: M3BlueGeorgia
I have a 2016 S90D that I upgraded to MCU2/HW3. The limited FSD available now works nicely (awaiting the “real” FSD that is in beta) and is functionally the same as current cars. Actually the 1st gen cameras are limited color (no blue sensors) but functional and serviceable.

I understand the upgrade to full color cameras is a reasonable DIY project but I haven’t dome that yet.

The cameras aren’t black and white, they are color-ish, which some find even more annoying. I don’t think the service centers are supposed to replace those but I bet some do. Looks like they are a restricted part: Upgrading AP cameras
I see, that’s kind of a deal breaker for me sadly. If there’s a definite/easy way to upgrade the cameras then I’d definitely jump on a used 2016.

is there a way to tell if a used Model S has “real color” cameras?

Last edited:
I see, that’s kind of a deal breaker for me sadly. If there’s a definite/easy way to upgrade the cameras then I’d definitely jump on a used 2016.

is there a way to tell if a used Model S has “real color” cameras?
They were introduced in August 2017 with the upgrade to the AP computer to version 2.5. So if you're browsing on EV-CPO.com for a vehicle on Tesla's site, you can sort by "AP 2.5". Or for private party/dealers, look for the build date. Another tell - the rear seat was changed as part of this minor refresh, and the two passenger seats became more contoured (and comfortable I think!). The prior version was pretty flat.

• Informative
Reactions: Venom