Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Learning how to drive ICE allover again

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Its been 6 weeks since I have gotten my MS and love it. But what I am finding is that I have to relearn how to drive my wife’s BMW or any ICE all over again.

There have been many of times when driving her car or a rental that I turn the window wipers on rather than shifting gears or when getting out I hit the window wipers washer vs putting on park. Then there are time I have almost walked away from the care while the car is still on forgetting to push the button to turn the car off. Then there is the lurch forward when taking foot of break.

So the little things we get use to very quickly driving a Tesla I have forgeten that typical ICE don’t have or do.

1st World Problems!!!

Every time I drive our ICE SUV I’m convinced it’s trying to kill me.

I let off the accelerator and... nothing happens. It just carelessly continues careening into the object or intersection in front of me like a runaway train.

Same for the non-radar cruise control. It will happily slam me into the back of the car in front of me without a second thought.

Not to mention I NEVER lock it any more... just walk away and expect it to take care of itself like the Tesla does.

First world problems...

Every time I drive an ICE SUV its to protect my Tesla.

So in that way I'm a bit different, and I'm pretty content with it.

I think the key is to have about as opposite of a vehicle as you can for the ICE car. That way things like vibrations, noise, slowness is simply expected because of what the vehicle is.

Reactions: talels and NYL12
There have been many of times when driving her car or a rental that I turn the window wipers on rather than shifting gears or when getting out I hit the window wipers washer vs putting on park.

This one has nothing to do with ice vs ev it's just different car manufacturers. If you had a Mercedes which tesla took the stalks from you would be used to it.

Its been 6 weeks since I have gotten my MS and love it. But what I am finding is that I have to relearn how to drive my wife’s BMW or any ICE all over again.

There have been many of times when driving her car or a rental that I turn the window wipers on rather than shifting gears or when getting out I hit the window wipers washer vs putting on park. Then there are time I have almost walked away from the care while the car is still on forgetting to push the button to turn the car off. Then there is the lurch forward when taking foot of break.

So the little things we get use to very quickly driving a Tesla I have forgeten that typical ICE don’t have or do.

1st World Problems!!!
The gear shift leaver and wiper blade leaver in the MS is straight out of the Mercedes parts bin and can be found in a variety of Mercedes ICE vehicles.

• Disagree
Reactions: PrGrPa and NYL12
I think the OP's Tesla came stocked with a frunk-full of Elon's CoolAid. I see a "disagree" with every post claiming Tesla didn't invent the stalks positions.

@NYL12 , just a warning, don't buy your wife a pre-2014 Model S, you'll be just as confused switching between that car and yours (yes, the stalks were different in those cars).

• Informative
Reactions: David29
Really guys. Smh. It was my experience. Never said YOU, having driven newer Mercedes or other cars would have the same experience.

I Owned a CLK320 for years. Even drove a SLK yesterday from HERTZ. Yet they had different controls. As I mentioned in the OP, I was driving my wife’s BMW and it was a different feel. I’m sure if I drove a different Mercedez, a Bentley or a F150 truck I would have a different experience.

Thank you to those that enjoyed the post and too had similar experiences.

Reactions: GSP
Location of controls are not unique to Tesla, OP. You simply haven't experienced different ICE cars before.

Never said they were unique. It was just different for me. If you did not experience the same isssue. Happy for you. You seems to say I was complaining while all I was doing was saying it was an experience for me.

Hope you don’t spend time on the forms just critiqueing members comments of their experiences if different than yours.

Never said they were unique. It was just different for me. If you did not experience the same isssue. Happy for you. You seems to say I was complaining while all I was doing was saying it was an experience for me.

Hope you don’t spend time on the forms just critiqueing members comments of their experiences if different than yours.
I was simply commenting you slapping a "Disagree" on all 3 people telling you that Tesla's controls are not unique to it being a non-ICE car. And yes you did imply that all ICE cars were somehow inferior because you had to relearn the controls of your wife's BMW. The title of your post " Learning how to drive ICE allover again" and even in the post when you said "I have to relearn how to drive my wife’s BMW or any ICE all over again". You experience with confusing controls has nothing to do with the fact that your wife's BMW has an internal combustion engine. It's as if you were saying "I had to relearn how to drive all blue cars again" if your wife's car happened to be blue and your Tesla was red (and this was Red Car Club forum).

Last edited:
the navigation panel (and more in general switches and knobs) are like a prehistoric painting compared to Mona Lisa
"Mona Lisa"? If you have v9 it's more like "Where's Waldo" ;)

If it wasn't for government requirements, Model 3 blinkers would be operated by pressing the sequence "Menu->Lighting->Blinkers->Left (or Right) ->On (or Off)" and after each change it would return to the media player.

Last edited:
I sit in wife's Honda pressing the brake and waiting for the door to close.
Every time, I walked away forgetting to turn off and lock the car when driving my wife's Volvo
You guys are simply comparing a $30K car to a $100K+ car. Nothing to do whether it's electric or ICE. You can buy some very nice feature on ICE cars for $100K+.

Reactions: eye.surgeon