Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Learning how to drive ICE allover again

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The only thing I get messed up on when switching to ICE is that I keep forgetting to turn the car off and pull out the key.
This thread is a relief as I thought there was was something wrong with me making the adjustment to ICE. Since wife's car is a MB, there's no problem with the stalk, but I frequently forget to turn off her vehicle and lock it. Due to MB push button start, the key is in my pocket (like Tesla) and fortunately newer MB 's have a warning sound when you walk away from a running vehicle. Much more thought is required when driving an ICE vehicle. Love my MS.

Reactions: SpudLime
"Mona Lisa"? If you have v9 it's more like "Where's Waldo" ;)

If it wasn't for government requirements, Model 3 blinkers would be operated by pressing the sequence "Menu->Lighting->Blinkers->Left (or Right) ->On (or Off)" and after each change it would return to the media player.

Should the sequence really be "Menu->Lighting->Blinkers->Democrat (or Republican) ->On (of Off)"

We traveled last week and rented a very low end car, some tiny Nissan. I really did not have too much trouble with the controls, to be honest once I figured out where they were. (I have been driving for 50 years, so even though I have had a Tesla for 3+ years I still have fairly good "muscle memory" for more conventional cars. The main complaint I had about the Nissan is that it was incredibly noisy, and you got little performance for all the racket. But that is to be expected on such a small, inexpensive car.
What I did miss was the features like being able to preheat the car. It was unusually cold in the Washington DC area last weekend, and I would have appreciated being able to preheat.
And the lack of an integrated navigation system was a minor inconvenience. So, we used the Google maps on our phones, which worked beautifully. (In fact, I wish the Tesla nav system was as good as Google at telling you in a timely way when to turn -- the Tesla system often seems to be just a couple seconds too late when to make a turn or take an exit.)

Y'all are weird. I drove 27K in the tesla last year, I haven't driven another car in like 20 months. I hopped into a ford rental for work 2 weeks ago and I had no issues driving the damn thing.

Hell I switch between motorcycles with opposite shift patterns all the time. either 1 up 5 down or 1 down 5 up.

We still have an ICE Jeep Grand Cherokee that I had not driven in a while.

I did a quick errand late in the day.

I go to Park it and "Push a Button" to turn it off and Start to get out and the Jeep starts moving Forward.

Yikes. Luckily I still have a habit of never parking near another car and didn't roll into to something or someone.

My muscle memory was thinking it was pushing the Park Button on Tesla when I pushing the Off Button on The Jeep.
I also completely ignored putting the Jeep in Park and it ignored the Off Button because it was still in drive.

I think the Jeep should have Alarmed Visually and Audibly when I pushed that Off Button while in Drive.
It was completely Silent and I just started to get out with Engine running and in Drive (the Jeep is VERY Quiet and Radio Might have been).

Tesla Radio stays on too as you get out. So it all felt normal until I saw the ground moving.

I'm OK with having both ICE and Model S vehicles. We kept our older BMW as trade in was not a good deal and now it is our preferred winter beater. It has good winter tires and all wheel drive. The controls are familiar after 10 years and best of all it has excess heat to dump that we can use in the cabin.

We don't tour in winter so our fuel consumption is low and while the sun is out and the Tesla parked we are banking solar energy through a feed in tariff.

Until there is another major leap in EV technology we will keep an ICE for winter months. They are fit for the purpose.

Just another point of view for the discussion.

I'm OK with having both ICE and Model S vehicles. We kept our older BMW as trade in was not a good deal and now it is our preferred winter beater. It has good winter tires and all wheel drive. The controls are familiar after 10 years and best of all it has excess heat to dump that we can use in the cabin.

We don't tour in winter so our fuel consumption is low and while the sun is out and the Tesla parked we are banking solar energy through a feed in tariff.

Until there is another major leap in EV technology we will keep an ICE for winter months. They are fit for the purpose.

Just another point of view for the discussion.

We have both and I can choose either any day and it's a short commute so it's not much fuel either vehicle and the ICE is a $50K Jeep Summit which is pretty nice. I much prefer take the Model 3. So much more comfy (I love instant heat). I took it today 0F out. Not a problem.

Y'all are weird. I drove 27K in the tesla last year, I haven't driven another car in like 20 months. I hopped into a ford rental for work 2 weeks ago and I had no issues driving the damn thing.

Hell I switch between motorcycles with opposite shift patterns all the time. either 1 up 5 down or 1 down 5 up.
Everyone has their limitations. Some people can't switch to not having creep, or using properly set up side mirrors to eliminate blind spots.