Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Learning to drive in a Tesla….

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I’d be a little concerned that they would take one-pedal driving habits to an ICEV.

Even if they have no interest in manuals, a new driver in an automatic ICEV would need a reminder, at the very least, that it does not have regenerative deceleration.

Reactions: Lord Farquad
Thanks all, going to be a few more years before they can drive on public roads….

I have fond memories of learning to drive on private roads at the age of 11 in a supercharged Lancia… planning on creating a tradition ;)

Yes they will undoubtedly take the test in a manual when the time comes, I might be vindictive and dig out my 1959 Mini to teach them in…. At least that way they will get to enjoy a handbrake turn!

But to get back to my question, looks like there is no easy way for passenger to take control / stop the M3 ;(

Last edited:
I’d be a little concerned that they would take one-pedal driving habits to an ICEV.

Even if they have no interest in manuals, a new driver in an automatic ICEV would need a reminder, at the very least, that it does not have regenerative deceleration.
They would feel the difference very quickly.

I'm feeling it now because my Kona is in the shop (right-front deer strike), I'm in a rental and the biggest miss is regen.

People who drive EVs do not lose the ability to judge when to use their brakes even when they have been used to using regen. When you need to stop more quickly you know that you need to press the brake ... your brain makes that calculation instantly. All vehicles have huge variations in the amount of braking required in different circumstances to bring the car to a halt. If EVs literally had no brake pedal that would be different but they do and people need to use it. On a cold morning with a high state of charge there's hardly any regen at all ... so it's mostly brake pedal ... at other times there's lots of regen so you just ease off the accelerator pedal. If this was your only experience of driving you would automatically drive a non EV car as you would an EV with no regen. Certainly it feels different but no big deal IMO.

Don't forget that not being able to drive a manual car severely restricts your choice of things like hire cars, courtesy cars, car club cars (like Zipcar) etc. In this country (and many others) being able to drive a manual car is undoubtedly a useful skill, and will remain so for the foreseeable future.

People who drive EVs do not lose the ability to judge when to use their brakes even when they have been used to using regen. When you need to stop more quickly you know that you need to press the brake ... your brain makes that calculation instantly. All vehicles have huge variations in the amount of braking required in different circumstances to bring the car to a halt. If EVs literally had no brake pedal that would be different but they do and people need to use it. On a cold morning with a high state of charge there's hardly any regen at all ... so it's mostly brake pedal ... at other times there's lots of regen so you just ease off the accelerator pedal. If this was your only experience of driving you would automatically drive a non EV car as you would an EV with no regen. Certainly it feels different but no big deal IMO.