Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Lease Expiring

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The lease on my S is expiring soon. I've ordered a new Y to replace it. My old S has a few scratches (not dents) on the lower portion where the low profile has evidently come in contact with concrete parking markers. My question is whether I should get the scratches taken care of myself at the Tesla shop or whether I should just wait for the deductions that Tesla will take when I turn in the leased S.

The lease on my S is expiring soon. I've ordered a new Y to replace it. My old S has a few scratches (not dents) on the lower portion where the low profile has evidently come in contact with concrete parking markers. My question is whether I should get the scratches taken care of myself at the Tesla shop or whether I should just wait for the deductions that Tesla will take when I turn in the leased S.
Definitely on your own. There are numerous paint touchup/bumper repair/wheel repair guys out there that do great work to minimize the appearance of wear and tear. It will cost you a fraction of what Tesla will. They use the same people to refresh their cars before they put them back out for sale on the lot.

If you are trading in a Tesla for another Tesla, don’t worry too much. When you take all the pictures required by the trade in section online, it will be in the pictures.

I would suggest you fix it yourself. I also recommend taking plenty of pictures and retaining them for at least 6 months post lease return. The pandemic protocols are touchless lease returns, where Tesla has you submit about two dozen photos. This seems like a pre-lease return inspection, but it is not. Unlike my previous experience with BMW the pre-lease inspection was very accurate.

My experience returning two Model Xs in mint condition under mileage by 15k, tires replaced with only 5k miles on them (one vehicle had the tires done at a Tesla SC). I received two separate invoices 92 days after turning in the vehicle for $4,000 each. No explanation of charges, payable upon receipt. I was livid to say the least. I had to call and sit on hold for over 30 minutes to be told the best explanation was I did not get the deposition fee waived for loyalty purchase of MY, and maybe it was tires and curb rash. Asked that Tesla provide and itemized list of issues which they never furnished. I also escalated to a supervisor to check the pre-lease photos.The supervisor reviewed the photos and said that there was no visible damage and the tread depth appeared fine. I also offered to send receipts for the replacement tires, which Tesla never accepted the offer. The supervisor said he needed to send it to the lease return department for dispute.

I received weekly emails to pay the invoice for a month during the dispute. I called and mention I’m receiving the emails and was told to ignore them, they’re automated. I voiced my concern for credit score and told it’s not in collections so no issue.

After 3 weeks I filed a complaint with the BBB. A week later, I called Tesla and the matter was resolved with no charges. I received a confirmation from the BBB the matter was resolved satisfactorily.