Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Lease vs Own

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
When I watch YouTube reviews of the Model Y or Model 3 there’s one thing that tends to come up in most of the reviews, which is:

“You should probably lease a Tesla instead of buying one because the tech advances at such a rapid rate each year.” (or some variation of that statement)

What do y’all think about that statement? I know you can’t lease a Model Y, but just in general, do y’all agree with that statement at all?

I plan to take delivery of a MYP within the next two months, and I plan on buying it and owning it for 8+ years. I figured that if the hardware or MCU became out of date I could just pay the money to have it upgraded. Am I wrong in thinking that? Thanks.

Not through Tesla. Number one issue is that a leased model 3 cannot be purchased at the end of the contract.

Also while things advance yearly, one thing you are not factoring in is resale. Model 3 tops the charts and I am assuming Y will as well.

If it were not a Tesla, I’d lease. But Tesla’s are definitely worth the purchase given the poor lease rates vs buying. The Y will he the same once you are able to lease it.

Breaking Down Tesla's New $399/Month Model 3 (In-Depth Analysis) — LEASEHACKR