Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Leased a Model 3 but had to relocate for work...now going to exceed the annual mileage by a LOT

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I leased a LR AWD Model 3 in May when my commute to work was about 2 miles. I would drive around 10 miles a day on average when you factor in other trips and a couple hundred mile weekend trips once or twice a month.

When I leased my Model 3, I didn't expect this to change. Unfortunately/fortunately I had to relocate for work, and my daily commute is now 70ish miles round trip, which even if I used my car strictly to drive to/from work, I would still exceed the allowed mileage by about 14000 miles. I have under 1000 miles left for the year and there's a sinking pit feeling in my stomach about the fee I'm going to have to pay when it's time to turn the lease in.

I know I brought this on myself since I didn't have the foresight to see this risk (well, I did, but not 4 months into the lease), but I'm wondering if anyone else has had an experience in mileage overages with Tesla and what my options are to avoid having to pay an exorbitant fine in 2.5 years yet.

Please spare the condescending comments as I am already bringing enough of it on myself as it is.

I believe that some leases allow you to pre-buy miles at a lower rate. Check with leasing company to determine options.

It's dumb to buy an ICE, it defeats the whole purpose of owning a Model 3 Tesla in the first place.

Just eat the cost and move on. If you bought the Model 3 out right and put that many more miles on it would be similar cost in the long run.

I like to look at this way.

Take the Model 3 AWD at approx. $50,000 divide that by 120,000 miles (length of battery and drive warranty)

That comes to $0.42 / mile !!!

$0.25 / mile penalty is a bargain.

Trade it in early, possibly eat some negative equity, avoid the mileage penalty.

I had a lease where I was headed for 8 to 10k miles over. Was told by more than 1 person to trade it in about 6mo from lease end.
18mo from lease end, they said: $4500 in neg equity. I said no thanks!
6 mo out on a whim, I asked what they thought, I had 5 payments left, was already over the end mileage 2500 miles.

They paid the remaining 5 payments, no mileage penalty, walked away from vehicle.
I bought a new vehicle, had all the normal rebates and discounts.
No haggling on it as that buyout was basically my leeway.

I don't know how Tesla works, but that might be the most painless way to get out of this situation... otherwise drive it out and write a check.

• Informative
Reactions: Watts_Up