TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Leased Vehicle Texas Property Tax

Discussion in 'Texas' started by kgb, Jan 13, 2013.

Tags:
  1. kgb

kgb Member

Although there is a thread about some property taxes in Texas and other states, I feel this topic is sufficiently different to warrant a new thread.

I acquired my Roadster using Tesla Motors' "lease until you buy the Model S" program. With my most recent invoice, TM included 2 extra items, which they describe as "property tax 2011 $2,707" and "property tax 2012 $3,549" I had never heard of this property tax. I do know that my business pays a franchise tax on its property. And there is a tax associated with registering the car. I did a little research, and there is something called a "use tax" but that seems to be a one-time tax AFAIK.

FAQ: Motor Vehicle Taxes

Has anyone else been charged these property taxes and does anyone know what this is about? What property tax could this be?

2. sublimaze1

sublimaze1 8Dec2012 / Leeroy Jenkins

Yes. This comes around once a year - typically January - on leased vehicles. Started in 99, IIRC. Seems that Oklahoma had always taxed leased items as property and Texas wanted in on the game. You see, if you own a car, you pay taxes on the full value of the car, albeit once. If you lease, you pay a tax which is less than the TX County Tax Assessor value and they want more of the pie. In fact, it comes around each January as a property. I hated it. Diana gets hit on the Armada, but it is not near as much as what you stated above.

3. kgb

kgb Member

thanks for the info. I will go ahead and reluctantly pay it. :cursing: