Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Leaving in fla in garage for 5 mo..What should i do to protect it & what should i expect

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Leaving my 'X' in fla in my garage for 5 mo..What should i do to protect it & what should i expect
Thanks in Advance
1. plugin as you would every day.
2. If you store your car for three months or more, putting it on four jack stands is a good idea to prevent tire flat spots. Ensure there's a piece of plywood to pad the floor, or your floor might have depression marks from the jack stands.

fh11oct_stocar_02.jpg

Upvote 0
1. plugin as you would every day.
2. If you store your car for three months or more, putting it on four jack stands is a good idea to prevent tire flat spots. Ensure there's a piece of plywood to pad the floor, or your floor might have depression marks from the jack stands.

fh11oct_stocar_02.jpg
that's quite a project!Neither my hubs/I would tackle that....maybe i'll have to come up with some alternatives thanx

Upvote 0
Hi @jerseygirl18 ,

Similar to the idea @Tam offered these "flat spot preventers"
from Griot's Garage would help with the flat spots.

I'm sure you could find a similar item somewhere else for less money...

Good luck,

Shawn

• Informative
Reactions: Rice&Curry and Tam
Upvote 0
Modern radial tires do not get flat spots like cars did decades ago.
During 3 years of covid 2 sportscars and a 4Runner simply did not move.
None showed any flat spots once finally driven. I would not
worry about 6 months non-moving at all.

I should add that the sportscars were hard to push (by hand) from rest
after their long vacation (the first 12 inches). But on the road?
No issue. The 4Runner was always too hard to push, period.
I would suggest you check tire pressures before going on a trip
though (but then one should always do that).

Upvote 0
As far as leaving it plugged in while you're gone: If it's a NIMH battery (not the Iron Phosphate ones), I'd suggest leaving the charge limit at 50%. There's been a bit of talk that higher charge levels (more than 90%, but people mumble about 70%) can negatively affect battery longevity. It's probably not a big deal, but 50% definitely won't hurt the car. And, heck, given that you've got the app on your cell, you can crank the level up to whatever you like before you even get home!

All the things that we old farts had to do for ICE cars back in the day simply don't apply to Teslas: Sealing off oil breathers, worrying about putting StaBle additives in the gas tanks, and so on.

The one I would have thought about would have been the jack stands under the hard points of the car. But if the local experts claim that modern radials don't have this problem, far be it from me to argue.

Upvote 0
Modern radial tires do not get flat spots like cars did decades ago.
During 3 years of covid 2 sportscars and a 4Runner simply did not move.
None showed any flat spots once finally driven. I would not
worry about 6 months non-moving at all.

I should add that the sportscars were hard to push (by hand) from rest
after their long vacation (the first 12 inches). But on the road?
No issue. The 4Runner was always too hard to push, period.
I would suggest you check tire pressures before going on a trip
though (but then one should always do that).

Yep. During the off season I leave my cars on a tender and call it a day.

Upvote 0
When we went to Europe for a month here's what we did.

1. Plugged car in using Mobile Connector. YOU MUST PLUG THE CAR IN.

2. Cut amp draw of Mobile Connector in half in car to taper the draw (reduce load) on the household line. If you are plugged into a Wall Connector reduce the amperage in the car from 48 to 12-16 amps.

3. Set your state of charge to 50%.

4. Turned OFF Century Mode.

5. Turner OFF any remote services you may have recording telemetry on the car.

6. Buy a bunch of IRISH SPRING bars of soap. Break them up into little pieces and sprinkle them all around the tires, under car and outside too. This will supposedly keep any "critters" from making a home in your car and eating the yummy wiring.

7. Make sure your key cards work to open the doors just in case.

8. To save $$ on insurance, stop collision coverage during the time it's garaged. Talk to your insurance company. They probably have a coverage for you that just covers fire, theft, and natural disasters. We were only gone a short time so I didn't do this but 6 months is a chunk of change to consider. DO NOT stop insurance all together. Fire & theft as a minimum.

9. Leave instructions with someone you trust on how the reset the breaker that the mobile connector is plugged into and also how to unplug and replug the mobile connector to the wall and the car.

10. Try to resist checking on the car through your phone every 5 minutes but do check on it periodically. The car needs to know your still there and care about it and that you haven't abandoned it.

The other option is to sell it and buy a new one on return -OR- loan it to me while your gone. I'll take care of it for you 😉

Good luck and enjoy your trip.

-stew

Upvote 0
what is the purpose of keeping a car plugged in if you are away for awhile?
aren't you afraid of elec spikes etc?

Jersey Girl, you want to keep your batteries at a constant state of charge SOC for the time you are away. Setting your SOC to 50% is a good equilibrium point for your batteries to "rest" at while not being used while your away.

Any electrical spikes that may occur will be handled by the Wall or Mobile Connector.

-stew

Reactions: John in LB
Upvote 0