Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Leaving key card in the car...

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I give my car to valet everyday at work. (that is the option if I want to park at work) and have been doing this for 15 years.

Before I have left my wallet at home at times but now if I do that no option for my car. Unless I give them my phone.

I was thinking about leaving the key card in the car. I am not worried about anything.

Any issues wiith this related to operating the car?

Thanks in advance.

Are you leaving the card in the car while you are driving or when leaving it for the valet?

Keeping it in the car is no problem. It needs to be pretty close to the console to turn on the car (may want to avoid keeping it on the farther back console). Leaving it in the glovebox is best or you can create a little sleeve for the card in the front console.

Leaving the card in the car for the valet and then leaving, the car will lock and the valet will not be able to get the card (I always warn valets not to leave the card in the cupholder but still have some that got locked out).

Leaving it in the car should be no issue. The range is a few inches.

If your would like to go extra safe, get an RF protective pouch to store it.

Your only risk then is someone breaking into the car, finding the card, and driving off.