Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

LED headlamps

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
General comment: There's a BIG difference between high-intensity (headlamp) LEDs and taillight LED's WRT power consumption, heat, longevity, etc. Comparing headlamps to taillights isn't apples-to-apples.

General comment: There's a BIG difference between high-intensity (headlamp) LEDs and taillight LED's WRT power consumption, heat, longevity, etc. Comparing headlamps to taillights isn't apples-to-apples.

Agreed, but the electronics wouldn't be all that different (which is what was said to fail due to temperature fluctuations and vibration).

If you could point me to the source of this conclusion I'd appreciate it as it goes against all of my experience with LED's. come to think of it, I have yet to have an LED fail on me.

Its not just one source, there are many. A few:

Controlling LED lighting systems: introducing the LED driver
LEDs are occasionally and incorrectly believed to generate little or no heat,

Led driver reliability
Unfortunately an LED system has many components that need to work together in order to enable light to be emitted from the LED, these include:
1. The LED emitter
2. An LED driver (not required if using AC LEDs)
3. Mechanical and thermal management components for long operation

2010 Audi R8 LED Headlights
In the R8, the LEDs are clustered—14 for the low beam, eight for the high beam—and cooled by fans to keep internal temps below a diode-killing 300 degrees F. The fans also circulate warm air to defrost the lenses on cold mornings.

I have little faith in longevity of fan-cooled electronics.
Only time will tell but any new application of technology has hidden problems that arise only after some time in the field.

Oh ye of little faith.
Yes, fans can be a weak point of air cooled electronics, but a good quality electric fan with proper air filtration can last a good long time.
I think you might be surprised how many things these days have cooling fans inside.
You don't want a motor with brushes and cheap bearings, and we end up with manufacturers cheaping out sometimes, but if they do it right it can be good.
Also, it may be possible to design better passive cooling with better heat conduction and heat sinks and do away with the fans.

thanks for the references. I wonder how Nissan has dealt with the heat issue on the lamps. I have not looked into it, but I have been going on the assumption that if Nissan can pull off LED headlamps, surely Tesla can.

Its not just one source, there are many. A few:

Controlling LED lighting systems: introducing the LED driver

Led driver reliability

2010 Audi R8 LED Headlights

I have little faith in longevity of fan-cooled electronics.
Only time will tell but any new application of technology has hidden problems that arise only after some time in the field.

I wonder how Nissan has dealt with the heat issue on the lamps. I have not looked into it, but I have been going on the assumption that if Nissan can pull off LED headlamps, surely Tesla can.
I really do not know and I am sure it *could* be done in a way to work for 20 years for almost everybody. But it is not simple, not straightforward and not cheap.

I am looking for some reliable source of these led lights. Can you provide that?

Can't provide that, but the problem with add-on LEDs is the same problem that add-on HIDs have: The reflectors aren't correct for that kind of bulb. So unless the after-market company also provides a replacement reflector, you're being very discourteous to other drivers.

Nissan LEAF LED headlight info:

Production technology of LED headlamps that has both the quality and production costs... Ichikoh Industries, Ltd. | Responsejp (Eco-car electric )
Production technology of LED headlamps that has both the quality and production costs... Ichikoh Industries, Ltd. | Responsejp (Eco-car electric )

156101_12.jpg

156101_4.jpg

156101_5.jpg

Just uses a heatsink as far as I can tell...

Can't provide that, but the problem with add-on LEDs is the same problem that add-on HIDs have: The reflectors aren't correct for that kind of bulb. So unless the after-market company also provides a replacement reflector, you're being very discourteous to other drivers.

I'm sure that's true for LEDs, but HIDs have overcome that situation. Take a look at the "Xenon HID" thread here on TMC - the aftermarket HIDs are constructed to not only fit in the original bulb space and with the same mounting, but place the bulb in the right position such the cut-off remains functional.

As for LEDs, here's Audi showing off: http://www.audileds.com/