Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Legacy mode

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Yes, it does.

Do you know what is the meaning of this switch? I don't have a wall connector, but read the manual and was wondering about it.

Why does the wall connector need to know manually if it is Line to Neutral > 250V?

Can someone post a link to a Tesla-to-J1772 adapter that you all are using with your non-Tesla vehicles? I've never heard of such an adapter here in the US.

I literally put what you typed into search. Hyphens and everything

Tesla-to-J1772 adapter at DuckDuckGo

Last edited:
Reactions: AmpedRealtor
I just installed a Gen 2 wall connector.

I was hoping to be able to also charge my son's BMW i3 and it does not work.

For some reason, you did not mention that you were using an adapter, nor which one, where you got it. Its an important detail.

It is possible that there is an issue with your adapter. Personally, I think this adapter costs so much it is hard to justify it vs. getting a dedicated charger for the i3.[/QUOTE]

Reactions: Big Earl
Do you know what is the meaning of this switch? I don't have a wall connector, but read the manual and was wondering about it.

Why does the wall connector need to know manually if it is Line to Neutral > 250V?

The HPWC has electronics which require a DC supply to function. This DC gets supplied via a power supply which converts AC to low voltage DC. Single phase has 250VAC max between Active and Neutral. Three phase can have Neutral or not. If Neutral is there you have again 250VAC max between one of the 3 Actives and Neutral. But with no Neutral you have 415VAC between the phases. I think DIP switch 1 selects one of the two possibilities.

I have seen several HPWCs by now and there are 3 versions at least:
1) There is a rotary switch for current and DIP SW2 to select Legacy mode.
2) As above but DIP2 does nothing, its in Tesla only mode.
3) There is only a rotary switch to select a current.
Note that the HPWC employs a good quality ABB contactor rated 63A.
I could not find a way other than doing your own complete Type 2 circuit using an Arduino or similar.
A portable charger like this one is another alternative:
EV Type 2 AC Charger 22kW, Single Phase 10/15A and 3-Phase 32A incl. Carry Bag | eBay

Sometimes 3 Phase is wired without the Neutral. In that case you have 450V from one phase to another and the HPWC can be hooked up thst way. So instead of Neutral it is L2 or L3.