Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Legacy Model S nice to haves

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
What we get is what we get, what we miss is what we miss.

ZOOM ... why does TESLA not give legacy Model S ZOOM, in one of the following forms:
(a) usable without an internal camera (still join meetings but with voice only)?
(b) allow user to add his own internal camera via one of the USB ports and use ZOOM with voice and video?

HW4 ... often said unrealistic to upgrade a legacy Model S to hw4 because lack of space (larger computer, larger harness) putting asside aditional/different cameras for the moment, why not just offer a HW4 upgrade that sits in the fronc (i.e. great for any user that does not need his whole fronc (or potentially does not need any of the fronc)?

horizontal screen .... especially if we ever get the HW4 upgrade, there is a defined port for a 2nd screen .... would be nice to have the option to watch a movie in full screen format, from the rear seats if necessary. Possibly a clip on screen that sits over the vertical screen, when in park.

What we get is what we get, what we miss is what we miss.

ZOOM ... why does TESLA not give legacy Model S ZOOM, in one of the following forms:
(a) usable without an internal camera (still join meetings but with voice only)?
(b) allow user to add his own internal camera via one of the USB ports and use ZOOM with voice and video?

HW4 ... often said unrealistic to upgrade a legacy Model S to hw4 because lack of space (larger computer, larger harness) putting asside aditional/different cameras for the moment, why not just offer a HW4 upgrade that sits in the fronc (i.e. great for any user that does not need his whole fronc (or potentially does not need any of the fronc)?

horizontal screen .... especially if we ever get the HW4 upgrade, there is a defined port for a 2nd screen .... would be nice to have the option to watch a movie in full screen format, from the rear seats if necessary. Possibly a clip on screen that sits over the vertical screen, when in park.
They should offer a dash upgrade for legacy S or X. Probably cost a couple grand which is the cost from going to 2.5 to 3.0
I'd be interested if any Modders have replaced a crashed new interior to legacy

Likely the engineering would cost Tesla millions. Remember, it would have to meet current safety standards and might even require new crash testing. Regulations are a bitch! It would require custom software as the configuration is different than any prior car - requiring new code, QA, and validation testing.

The HW4 CPU requires liquid cooling. So somehow, you'd need to run coolant lines through the firewall, no trivial task. The entire cooling system changed in design, and the old pre-octavalve system would be unlikely to work - so it would need a newly designed coolant system that would fit the different structure of the old car. Unsure if this would be compatible with the old motors and battery pack. Let's assume it could be made to be compatible (otherwise, add another $30K to the cost).

The entire wiring harness and the electrical system changed dramatically in the Model S that has HW4. But the new harness is for the new cabin, so the dash HVAC would need to be changed out along with a new dash. Tesla would have to design a new dash, as the attachment points are quite different. As a bonus, you would get the new landscape display (costly). There are a lot more changes, but I'll stop there.

My guess is if Tesla offered such a kit, it would be in the $20+K range and would require 50-100+ hours of labor. Sorry, but there are so many complexities to doing this, I don't see it happening. At that cost, I'd be surprised if more than 5 people would buy it.

Likely the engineering would cost Tesla millions. Remember, it would have to meet current safety standards and might even require new crash testing. Regulations are a bitch! It would require custom software as the configuration is different than any prior car - requiring new code, QA, and validation testing.

The HW4 CPU requires liquid cooling. So somehow, you'd need to run coolant lines through the firewall, no trivial task. The entire cooling system changed in design, and the old pre-octavalve system would be unlikely to work - so it would need a newly designed coolant system that would fit the different structure of the old car. Unsure if this would be compatible with the old motors and battery pack. Let's assume it could be made to be compatible (otherwise, add another $30K to the cost).

The entire wiring harness and the electrical system changed dramatically in the Model S that has HW4. But the new harness is for the new cabin, so the dash HVAC would need to be changed out along with a new dash. Tesla would have to design a new dash, as the attachment points are quite different. As a bonus, you would get the new landscape display (costly). There are a lot more changes, but I'll stop there.

My guess is if Tesla offered such a kit, it would be in the $20+K range and would require 50-100+ hours of labor. Sorry, but there are so many complexities to doing this, I don't see it happening. At that cost, I'd be surprised if more than 5 people would buy it.
Love this response. I'd settle for camera upgrades if it was at all possible - live view, blind spots etc. Surely thats not a HW issue and more a memory issue? I'd remove some existing features if it freed up space for more useful things. I'm sure your tech knowledge may say that idea isn't possible as well - or maybe it is possible but just too much hassle for screen layout variants across all the different models and continued maintenance. Just a shame a car (a very expensive one) in 2020 was left behind as soon as 2021

My guess is the HW4 is required if the higher-def cameras were installed - the amount of camera data is at least 4 times as much (times 9 cameras).

For some features like some of the FSD visualizations, it might be a software-only thing, but it also might rely on the new MCUZ, which also has quite a bit more processing power. It was not due to HW4 (I've got HW3). MCU2 (in your 2021 S) handles the blind-spot video pop-up. Perhaps you have it disabled in your car?

My guess is the HW4 is required if the higher-def cameras were installed - the amount of camera data is at least 4 times as much (times 9 cameras).

For some features like some of the FSD visualizations, it might be a software-only thing, but it also might rely on the new MCUZ, which also has quite a bit more processing power. It was not due to HW4 (I've got HW3). MCU2 (in your 2021 S) handles the blind-spot video pop-up. Perhaps you have it disabled in your car?
I have a legacy 2019 S so never had blind spot camera option :/

Tesla has provided a quick and easy upgrade path to get all the latest improvements. You simply sell your old car and buy a new one...Done!

Tesla has worked hard to reduce pricing on their latest offerings, and even the Federal Government will give you $7,500 to offset some of the depreciation. State and Utilities also often step in to give you money back when you upgrade your Tesla.

Along the way, Tesla will do what it can to provide additional updates, features and enhancement via OTA updates...for free.