TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Leilani Munter thought

Discussion in 'TMC Connect' started by Raffy.Roma, Jul 14, 2013.

1. Raffy.Roma

Raffy.Roma Active Member

2. tigerade

tigerade Member

I was also moved and inspired by the speech. It's great to have allies like this, we're on the right side of history folks but still have a hard fight ahead...

3. Raffy.Roma

Raffy.Roma Active Member

Agree 100%

4. jerry33

jerry33 S85 - VIN:P05130 - 3/2/13

While I liked the content and what she had to say, I couldn't get over the impression that she was just reading from a prepared script. Because of that it was somewhat off-putting. Perhaps it worked better if you were there rather than just watching the video stream.

5. Doug_G

Doug_G Lead Moderator

She only read from a note when quoting a poem. I'm pretty sure she's given the speech before, or a variation of it at least, but it was delivered earnestly and from what I saw people at the conference were pretty moved by it.

6. Neech

Neech Member

So what if she read from her notes or pre-written speech? Very few people are comfortable enough to speak in front of hundreds of people without some sort of notes.

7. jerry33

jerry33 S85 - VIN:P05130 - 3/2/13

That's great. For some reason I just saw that she was looking down at her script about two times during each sentence. This is then likely one of those things that doesn't come off well over video.

8. Raffy.Roma

Raffy.Roma Active Member

Agree. Main thing is that Leilani told what she felt and thought. Than if she read or not it it doesn't matter.

9. efusco

efusco Moderator - Model S & X forums

Gotta wonder if Elon built her a racing version of the S!

10. jamtek

jamtek Member

Come on! Give the lady a break! I watched the live stream and I was extremely impressed and inspired by what Leilani had to say. I thought she did an amazing job of weaving her passion for racing and her concern for the environment into a point of view that anyone could appreciate. She referenced her notes to stay on track and give a cohesive talk--big deal! Professionals do this all the time.

I'm sure there was no teleprompter available to make it look more polished for you. Let's focus on her words and the content of her message. Don't lose the forest for the trees.

My impression was that of a genuine, passionate, intelligent person that happened to have prepared a thoughtful talk ahead of time--not a script reader. I would urge anyone who missed it live, or live-streamed, to watch it. Listening to her message is definitely worth the investment of time.

11. Al Sherman

Al Sherman It's about THIS car.

She's not a professional speaker. She's a young woman that drives race cars. I think she did beautifully. I was very moved.

12. SCW-Greg

SCW-Greg Active Member

Leilani is reminding us (here) that this car is so much more than just an electric car. I gotta say, her speech is compelling and convicting. Way to go Leilani! Your mission is working.

13. teslasguy

teslasguy MSP P#1117

I think I recall hearing her say that she will be driving Mod S in a new movie being made that should be released next year. She just placed her order for an S yesterday morning.

14. K Hall

K Hall Member

It was one of the most powerful, passionate and well written speeches I have ever heard. I was moved and inspired at the same time. She is a genuine young lady with a strong spirit and conviction to work towards what she believes is RIGHT.

i will post some picture when I get back to Kansas City.

15. tigerade

tigerade Member

Agreed. I was praising the content of the speech itself, and the fact that she's done all this hard work on persuading elected officials, as well as the racing community. It makes me wonder if I really could be doing more. Something for me to be thinking about. The story was great, and the delivery was good too. Don't care if she used notecards, I couldn't personally remember a speech to save my life. :)

16. Jackl1956

Jackl1956 Member

Leilani rocked. Great message, delivered from the heart. She has my respect. She is one of the few with the conviction to act on beliefs. I was totally wowed.

17. stevezzzz

stevezzzz R;SigS;P85D;SigX

Yes, from my seat in the room it was a very effective speech; Leilani came across as an engaged and committed advocate. She was also most gracious to everyone who chatted with her at the factory party last night.

18. markwj

markwj Moderator, Asia Pacific

Amazing speech.

This speech was one of the top 3 things at TESLIVE that made my (long) trip here worthwhile.

I guess you had to be there (so true for so many things).

19. mkjayakumar

mkjayakumar Active Member

Is there a transcript of the speech? Thanks

20. surfingslovak

surfingslovak Member