Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Lemon law buyback successes without having opted out of arbitration?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I’m in California. Just finished arbitration for the yoke issues. Arbitration ruled in our favor. Tesla bought it back last month. We got paid basically everything since our first reported issue is when we barely put any miles on it. They paid EVERYthing. Including all the accessories we purchased.

Have no idea what everyone is talking about opting in or out of anything. It doesn’t matter. In the state of cali, and with Tesla specifically, you are required to go to arbitration first. The instructions are simple and straightforward. And if I remember correctly, from the time you submit the complain online. It’s like 4 weeks for a decision to be made.

Advice - document everything.

The ruling took about 2 weeks once the deadline for Tesla and I submitted all of our evidence. Tesla is sneaky. I don’t know if they remote logged into our car. But they told the arbitrator a bunch of details about how many miles we were driving and that the yoke isn’t a safety issue because if it was, we wouldn’t be driving the car.

Anyways, arbitrators in California don’t put up with bs. All I did was show them videos of the issue. And all the documented appointments. And they emailed me back and said the decision was unanimous. Boom.
How did you initiate the process? I just spoke to the service manager at our local Tesla and requested a buyback. She said she’ll get it started but it will take 30-40 days for a response. I was informed by another member here that I should email [email protected].

You don’t use lawyers for lemons in California. And if you fail to win over the arbitrators in California. I guarantee you will lose with lawyers.

- I opted out of arbitration when I purchased the car by sending the opt out
- I have won against Tesla in the past using lawyers. It cost me nothing and they handled everything. Perhaps I got less of a settlement than I could have?
- Yesterday I opened another service case for my car. This time it was a noise complaint and they wanted to charge me $450. Likely to be waived after visit or perhaps if I can't replicate the issue, they just blow me off again. I said that was ridiculous and in the service chat that I want to have them buyback and to forward to appropriate people. The service rep said they have forwarded to management.
- My latest issue is I believe a front axle needs to be replaced. When stopping (without brakes) it has a clicking noise. My entire car sounds like styrofoam box rubbing against each other constantly depending how the FWD closes. Over time its just getting worse that it is embarrassing. Over the life of the car, it has been in service more than 30 days which
- it has been in twice for safety restraint issues

I had the car transferred from my wife's tesla account to mine, but I haven't been able to get them to send me service records while it was in my wife's tesla account.

Reactions: jbeezely4051
Having just completed a successful buyback on my MXP with Tesla and having talked to multiple lawyers prior to picking the firm I did about the implications of opting out vs not opting out, your statement about being forced into arbitration if the consumer opts out within their 30 day window after purchasing is 100% FALSE. If you DON'T opt out, your attorney may be successful in keeping the case out of arbitration. If you do opt out, then it's not even an issue.

Would you care to share any sources that backup your claim?
Did you fill out the paperwork for the buyback when you surrendered the car, or ahead of time? I'm working in another state, so trying to figure out if I'll have to come home twice or just once.

Anyone here care to share their experience in suing for lemon buybacks having NOT opted out of the arbitration clause in the purchase agreement?
Can anyone recommend a firm with emphasis on cases in California?
I filled a case with the NCDS and Tesla offered a buyback within a week of me doing that. They're trying to avoid having the car titled as a lemon buyback is my guess. Anyways, I rejected their offer and proceeded with arbitration. We've had the car almost 3 years and put 50,000 miles on it. The arbitrator still ruled in our favor even though Tesla said lemon law buyback is limited to first year of ownership in Colorado.

I’ve won two arbitrations. One with Land Rover. And one with Tesla. Certainly not luck. As long as you meet the lemon law requirements, you will win 99% of the time without having to waste your time in civil court and pay any lawyers or firms any money.

If anyone wants help, just DM me.

Here’s the link for Tesla cdsp.

https://www.dca.ca.gov/acp/pdf_files/tesla_disclosure.pdf

Now I’ll caveat that with, if you are in a grey area, lawyering up definitely is a path for you.

I get it. You've been lucky twice. This is not how it usually goes with binding arbitration. Again, the judges are paid for by Tesla so there's a massive conflict of interest.

If you opt out of binding arbitration within the first 30 days of purchase, it doesn't mean you can't still go that route, it just means you aren't forced.
Also, with arbitration, all you can at most is what you paid. In my first lemon law suite years ago over my C5, I was awarded an extra $10K punitive in the settlement on top of my total expenses because had it actually gone to court, the punitive damages would have been even higher. With binding arbitration, there is no punitive.

Now for those that didn't opt out and are subject by binding arbitration, asking Tesla to buy your vehicle back is a pretty good option. Lots of had success sending their request to [email protected].

As to title branding, in California, if the manufacture agrees to buy your vehicle back because you claimed it had defects they were unwilling to or unable to fix, they must brand the title as a lemon even if the case was settled outside of the courts or arbitration.

in the service app i requested a buyback and they had the local service center email [email protected] to start the process of buyback. That email address is not mailable from outside tesla, it bounces back

Do you have proof they did what they said? I'm inclined to believe that email address is not real.

Your contract says exactly what you need to do to request a buyback. Why not just do what it says?

I was CC'd on the email that was sent to CMManagement. I replied back and CMManagement email address said it is a valid address but only intended for Tesla employees.

The email says it can take up to 30 days for a response on whether they will buy it back. I know 2 people that went the route of the service advisors at the local Tesla and they both got pretty much the entire purchase price back.

I get it. You've been lucky twice. This is not how it usually goes with binding arbitration. Again, the judges are paid for by Tesla so there's a massive conflict of interest.

If you opt out of binding arbitration within the first 30 days of purchase, it doesn't mean you can't still go that route, it just means you aren't forced.
Also, with arbitration, all you can at most is what you paid. In my first lemon law suite years ago over my C5, I was awarded an extra $10K punitive in the settlement on top of my total expenses because had it actually gone to court, the punitive damages would have been even higher. With binding arbitration, there is no punitive.

Now for those that didn't opt out and are subject by binding arbitration, asking Tesla to buy your vehicle back is a pretty good option. Lots of had success sending their request to [email protected].

As to title branding, in California, if the manufacture agrees to buy your vehicle back because you claimed it had defects they were unwilling to or unable to fix, they must brand the title as a lemon even if the case was settled outside of the courts or arbitration.

Agreed. No harm in opting out of the arbitration clause to keep your options open.

But for those with clear cut lemon issues with your car, don’t waste your time. I highly recommend just going through the arbitration process and find out your decision in less than 2 months from the day you file your online complaint with your state arbitrator. zero conflict of interest. That may have happened in the 80s when hedge funds had interest in both manufacturers and arbitrating organizations. That was done away with decades ago.

Lawyering up will take at least 6 months minimum before you receive any kind of restitution. Assuming you win. And some states like Florida will refuse any lemon law cases in their courts until an arbitrator is used. Not to mention, lawyers will seek payment no matter what. If they go through pre-trial motions and realize you’re at a disadvantage, they’ll run the hours up and encourage you towards a settlement. For settlements, lawyer fees are not paid by the manufacturer. Only buybacks. The dirty secrets of lawyers. My father is one.

I was CC'd on the email that was sent to CMManagement. I replied back and CMManagement email address said it is a valid address but only intended for Tesla employees.

The email says it can take up to 30 days for a response on whether they will buy it back. I know 2 people that went the route of the service advisors at the local Tesla and they both got pretty much the entire purchase price back.

The service manager at Bellevue refused to do this when I requested it despite that my vehicle had been towed there twice already and literally broke down during my pick up at the service center before I got it to drive at all in addition to dozens of other issues. I wish all service managers were like yours because Bellevue has a well earned 1 star rating on google and is filled with tons of negative reviews mentioning the service manager by name.

• Informative
Reactions: cwerdna
Anyone here care to share their experience in suing for lemon buybacks having NOT opted out of the arbitration clause in the purchase agreement?
Can anyone recommend a firm with emphasis on cases in California?
I am in Florida. But I think others will find this useful. Sine I am under NDA I cannot say how my case was resolved but I can say that I no longer have 2 Teslas anymore. Florida Law applies regardless of opting out or not. I did not opt out.

I did not opt out, and actually tried Tesla's arbitrator at the beginning, but Tesla lied to the arbitrator regarding the amount of time spent at service, number of tows, and refused to release service records, so the arbitrator told me that getting legal counsel would be the best way of handling it, so that's what I did.

I did not opt out, and actually tried Tesla's arbitrator at the beginning, but Tesla lied to the arbitrator regarding the amount of time spent at service, number of tows, and refused to release service records, so the arbitrator told me that getting legal counsel would be the best way of handling it, so that's what I did.
Underscores just how important it is to keep your own copies of the services records. Keep in mind that invoices can only be downloaded from the app and only the last 10 service items are visible in the app which includes canceled appts, etc.

Reactions: rpo
Underscores just how important it is to keep your own copies of the services records. Keep in mind that invoices can only be downloaded from the app and only the last 10 service items are visible in the app which includes canceled appts, etc.

Yep, I did not know at the time that the service records would disappear from the app. To be honest, the service records my attorney managed to obtain were pretty abysmal anyways. Some showed the car arriving in service weeks after it was towed to the service center and then had no record of any work being done. And we never received all of the records either.

Also important to screen shot all the messages. I had every invoice and chat all ordered with a summary index page. This should be done and maintained as part of your service records even if there won't likely be a lemon claim. Good for resale.

Reactions: rpo
I’m in California. Just finished arbitration for the yoke issues. Arbitration ruled in our favor. Tesla bought it back last month. We got paid basically everything since our first reported issue is when we barely put any miles on it. They paid EVERYthing. Including all the accessories we purchased.

Have no idea what everyone is talking about opting in or out of anything. It doesn’t matter. In the state of cali, and with Tesla specifically, you are required to go to arbitration first. The instructions are simple and straightforward. And if I remember correctly, from the time you submit the complain online. It’s like 4 weeks for a decision to be made.

Advice - document everything.

The ruling took about 2 weeks once the deadline for Tesla and I submitted all of our evidence. Tesla is sneaky. I don’t know if they remote logged into our car. But they told the arbitrator a bunch of details about how many miles we were driving and that the yoke isn’t a safety issue because if it was, we wouldn’t be driving the car.

Anyways, arbitrators in California don’t put up with bs. All I did was show them videos of the issue. And all the documented appointments. And they emailed me back and said the decision was unanimous. Boom.
jbeezely4051 May I ask you some question on your arbitration process in private? Thanks a bunch in advance, just needed some help.