Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Lemon law

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
If I hire an attorney or if I file under the lemon law? All I want is a new working vehicle. I paid for a new car that actually works when you drive it and that's what I want. I'll take my money back but I'd rather have a new car.

The law allows a replacement car but Tesla doesn't do that. At least one reason why is if you have a secured loan on the car the bank normally won't allow you to change the collateral out. So Tesla just does what always works, a refund. And then normally you can place a new order once you can pay for it. (It can take ~2 months to get the refund once you turn in the car.) Note: most likely they will not let you keep the loaner once the lemon law process has been started. So you could be without a car for a few months.

I've only see a couple people get blacklisted from buying a replacement car. Though the 7-day return policy was recently updated to include a condition that you can't bay the same trim level of car for 12 months if you exercise the return option. So it is possible that they would do that lemon law returns as well. (Though I doubt it would be standard procedure.)

I wouldn't be so quick to hire an attorney. You may need to go there eventually but you have a loaner car at this point and Tesla is working with you. Keep talking to them and make your wishes clear, but do so without conveying any threats or sounding rude or irritated. I have a friend who was in your situation and Tesla did replace his car with a brand new one. It takes some persistence to get them there but it can be done. In the meantime if you need a car with more range just ask for a different loaner.

Reactions: C141medic