Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Lemon law

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My first Model 3 failed inspection and after waiting more than 2 weeks for a part, I refused delivery.
My second Model 3, I upgraded to the performance edition and was super happy with the car for exactly 600 miles when it then broke down. It’s been in the shop 35 days now. I’ve contacted the service department and told them I didn’t want the car back. I’m done waiting and I no longer trust this car. I want a new one or my money back. I seem to keep getting the run around and Tesla wants me to keep that car. I’m done and want a new one.
Since no one seems to be giving me any information, I’m unsure my next move. File for arbitration with the state of Florida? Send a certified letter to Tesla Palo Alto? Tweet Tesla and Elon Musk?
Anyone have this problem and have any suggestions on what to do?
Thanks in advance.

My first Model 3 failed inspection and after waiting more than 2 weeks for a part, I refused delivery.
My second Model 3, I upgraded to the performance edition and was super happy with the car for exactly 600 miles when it then broke down. It’s been in the shop 35 days now. I’ve contacted the service department and told them I didn’t want the car back. I’m done waiting and I no longer trust this car. I want a new one or my money back. I seem to keep getting the run around and Tesla wants me to keep that car. I’m done and want a new one.
Since no one seems to be giving me any information, I’m unsure my next move. File for arbitration with the state of Florida? Send a certified letter to Tesla Palo Alto? Tweet Tesla and Elon Musk?
Thanks in advance.

I’m not familiar with the lemon law in your state, but over here, one break down wouldn’t qualify.
Parts are slow going for some parts right now, given the growth trajectory Tesla is on.
While it would suck to not have your new car to drive, I don’t think any car manufacturer can reasonably be asked to replace every car that needs service after 600 miles.

There are many new cars delivered that have issues. I had a Honda once that had multiple issues from new. They would never replace it with a new car. I had to wait as well, as much as that sucks.

What parts do they need ?
What eta did they give ?
Did they give a loaner ?

Reactions: WilliamG
Thanks in advance.
Welcome to the forum. Curious as to what part failed state inspection? Here in NJ we don’t even have state inspection for our EV’s. As others have already mentioned, best to look into your state lemon laws and go from there.

Lemon Law for New Cars

Yes, I have a loaner thank goodness.
The car's been out of service now for 35 days. They have replaced so many parts in the car, I'm losing track of all the repairs they have completed. Bottom line is that they can't seem to fix whatever is wrong. I feel like they are throwing darts at the wall and just fingers crossed, hoping it doesn't happen again. Since whatever the issue is that's causing this isn't just a minor inconvenience, it literally makes the car inoperable, I'm not OK with them hoping this fixes it. Getting stranded in rural Florida is not my idea of fun.
How long do I have to wait while they try new things to fix this car? It's getting ridiculous. And I ordered a car with a long range battery. This loaner is nice but at 234 miles, it's constantly running out of juice.
Zero ETA on a new fix. I told them to pull the plug on this car last Monday. And I'm still getting the run around and no firm answer from Tesla managers.

Welcome to the forum. Curious as to what part failed state inspection? Here in NJ we don’t even have state inspection for our EV’s. As others have already mentioned, best to look into your state lemon laws and go from there.

Lemon Law for New Cars
It failed the Tesla pre-delivery inspection. The steering wheel didn't work and the brakes had an issue. Hard to believe it left California not working but it did. They had no ETA on a new steering wheel so I refused delivery.

• Informative
Reactions: C141medic
Here is Florida's lemon law explained:
Florida Attorney General - How The Florida Lemon Law Works
It reads like you qualify as it's an either reasonable number of attempts or cumulative days:

"If the vehicle is in and out of the authorized repair shop for repair of one or more different problems for 15 or more cumulative days"
as well as it states:
"The consumer may be eligible for a purchase price refund or a replacement vehicle if the vehicle is out of service for repair of one or more nonconformities for a cumulative total of 30 or more days."

You have to send written notification. As was stated, get a lawyer so you don't get burned by something small and procedural. I am not a lawyer.

Reactions: tvad
If I hire an attorney or if I file under the lemon law? All I want is a new working vehicle. I paid for a new car that actually works when you drive it and that's what I want. I'll take my money back but I'd rather have a new car.

The way the lemon law works is you'll get a refund, some states allow legal fees and things like taxes and interest as well.

Tesla however is under no obligation to sell you another car, and there have been people on this forum that Tesla refused to sell another car to.