Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Less regen on 2019.40.2?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Can you do the same test one more time and see if the battery heater turns on without having a supercharger in the navigation. I believe the coolant heater will turn on if the battery is below 0 C one way or another.

so this morning, about -5C outside, my car parked in cold garage, no charge overnight, -2C on the dash, SOC ~65%, no destination set in nav, hvac turned off. Got in the car, pressed the brake with car left in P: a couple minutes later I see the battery heat icon turn on in the app.

so yes it seems you're right that below freezing the battery heater turns on regardless.

it's forecast to warm up above freezing again in a few days, so maybe I'll try again then to reconfirm my earlier observation that setting Nav to a nearby Supercharger while in Park also turns on battery heater at above 0C temps

• Informative
Reactions: David99
So I might have some insight into this. I overheard a tech at the service center last week telling a customer who complained about this that the minimum optimal operating temperature was raised a few months ago to around 24-25c. It was previously around ~10c lower than the new value. This is what might be causing the crappier Regen now with the colder temps upon us.
This is what I suspected. Not sure if it was here or somewhere else, but Elon's being a reverse Grinch here. Far from "stealing Christmas", he's ensuring that it's Christmas every day. Roy Wood would be delighted!

However, I have been finding regen to be not so bad on the latest upgrade 2019.20.50.7

Reactions: Tony_YYZ
I updated my 3 today after a month or so - My regen is signfiicantly weaker. The 3 is new and its always warm here.
Before I could one pedal drive, now I have to reach for the brake all the time.

I have found with my 3 - delivered November 2019, 8000 miles is that following the update the regen setting defaults to roll. A few times I have nearly hit the car in front because regen braking suddenly stops at 5 mph. Might not get much charge in those few mph, but it is a pain having to brake- it destroys the single pedal driving.

It would be nice to be told if Tesla plans to mess with braking; hitting the car in front because the car is behaving differently would not be great.

Anyone know how to get regen out of roll setting?

I have found with my 3 - delivered November 2019, 8000 miles is that following the update the regen setting defaults to roll. A few times I have nearly hit the car in front because regen braking suddenly stops at 5 mph. Might not get much charge in those few mph, but it is a pain having to brake- it destroys the single pedal driving.

It would be nice to be told if Tesla plans to mess with braking; hitting the car in front because the car is behaving differently would not be great.

Anyone know how to get regen out of roll setting?

Below 5mph you shouldnt get any regen because the gearing of the generator is too high to have enough regen at that speed (think engine braking in first gear vs 5th gear). If you have one pedal drive mode enabled it will slow the car down below 5mph by blending in the brakes though rumour has it it actually does it by energizing the front motor in reverse and not using the brake at all.

Below 5mph you shouldnt get any regen because the gearing of the generator is too high to have enough regen at that speed (think engine braking in first gear vs 5th gear). If you have one pedal drive mode enabled it will slow the car down below 5mph by blending in the brakes though rumour has it it actually does it by energizing the front motor in reverse and not using the brake at all.
Thats all fine. What is frustrating is that I have been forced into roll setting rather than hold and cannot select hold as it is greyed out. Was never expecting much regen below 5mph, but it would be nice not to have to use the brake to avoid hitting the car in front when approaching a line of stationary traffic with AP disengaged.

Thats all fine. What is frustrating is that I have been forced into roll setting rather than hold and cannot select hold as it is greyed out. Was never expecting much regen below 5mph, but it would be nice not to have to use the brake to avoid hitting the car in front when approaching a line of stationary traffic with AP disengaged.

oh weird. that sounds like a bug. Does it get listed as "hold" or does it actually change the setting?
If it keeps changing the setting delete your driver profile and start afresh. And make sure you change it while NOT in easy entry.

I was following this thread:
restricted regen - not fully charge, nor very cold
and see the same here. So indeed, the only thing I can conclude is that on top of the batterygate issue (see many oher endless threads), we now also have a regengate...

I was initially really a fanboy of Tesla. Now I'm done with it. Next car will be something else. Fortunately we begin to see viable alternatives.
I accept that Tesla adjusts and corrects and fixes things. I do not accept that this is done behind our back, without any warning or notification.