Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Less regen on 2019.40.2?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have a 2014 S85 and just updated to 40.2.3 and it looks like my regen is pretty much back to normal, or at least much less throttled. The last couple weeks I’ve had almost no regen and limited power around 50 degrees ambient, and with a 10 mile drive I wouldn’t get any of it back, maybe a little.

After this update, I charged to 80%, let the battery sit in the cold for 6 hours, and then turned on the cabin heat about 10 minutes before I left. Same thing I do every day, roughly the same exterior temp. I even preheated shorter than normal and the battery SOC was 80, higher than my typical.

I only had slightly restricted regen and power, and within 5 minutes I had no dotted lines at all. I had 78% SOC, 50 degrees ambient. Before the update I would have maybe 25% regen if that. This update is being pushed out fast to older cars also, which also makes me suspect it has some kind of adjustment. Either the battery heater is working again when the car is preconditioning (maybe a scheduled departure bug messed this up) or possibly they identified cars that need to be throttled ala batterygate and let some of us off the hook.

That is an interesting idea, that maybe the update .36.X.X somehow messed with the battery heating parameters. I hope you're right. I drove on 40.2.3 yesterday but not sure yet whether regen is better.

I have the exact situation you do, including the commute length and the garage temperature. I noticed the same thing with the last software update. Basically, the entire winter I will not have full regen except for a long trip. This is the fourth major change to my car since I got it nearly four years ago. It was supposed to get better with the updates, not worse (autopilot is more of a nag now, supercharging is much slower, lost about 5-10 miles with the update, and now the regen restriction.)
yes, I'm hating how this changed regen behaviour is making the car drive worse after the 40.2 update. Elon did promise our cars would get better with each update but it feels opposite lately.

This week it's not even that cold outside yet (low of around 6C), and yet after updating to 40.2 this is the first time my car seems to be stuck on low regen. And yes, prior to 40.2 update, the weather was definitely colder than this week but I never saw this reduced regen behaviour ever before, so it seems related to this particular update.

This will be the 5th winter with my Model S. With various updates over the past several years I've noticed Tesla changed the threshold where the dashed yellow no-regen lines appear on the dash, i.e. they appear at higher and higher ambient temperatures than when I first got the car But even so, driving around the city here with our mild weather I never had a problem enjoying the feel of the higher regen level and almost-one-pedal driving.

Note: I do not have a long or regular daily commute; I typically don't drive too many kms total any given day, and usually I might take only several short drives a day, almost entirely in-city i.e. non-highway driving. So if this is the new regen behaviour, it feels like it's is going to be on low all winter.

Picture says it all, 6 Deg C and look at the yellow lines

Attachments

• IMG_4088.JPG
    IMG_4088.JPG
    259.5 KB · Views: 106
yes, one year ago I was very happy with my car but since then Tesla has broken everything through updates:
no buttons visible on my energy screen anymore
browser not working anymore
TPMS not working anymore
Very very slow supercharger speeds
Less efficiency, range almost half of that a year ago, but almost no battery degradiation. consumption has gone up a LOT
and now no regen anymore, it takes 30miles to get some regen. I only drive short distances, so I don't have any regen anymore. NOt only is it way less nice to drive, it also takes another chunck out of the range :-(

One tip for at least getting slightly quicker regen is to tell the car to navigate to a Supercharger. Apparently this conditions (by warming) the battery into a state where it's happy to accept charge. Still doesn't bring back the levels of regenerative braking we had in the past, but better than nothing.

Reactions: f-stop
One tip for at least getting slightly quicker regen is to tell the car to navigate to a Supercharger. Apparently this conditions (by warming) the battery into a state where it's happy to accept charge. Still doesn't bring back the levels of regenerative braking we had in the past, but better than nothing.
Interesting tip, this seems to bring back higher regen sooner, esp if just doing short drives like I do (SOC in the 55-60% range, ambient temp -6-7C)

I just checked - while parked waiting for someone I turned on Nav to supercharger and the battery warming icon came in the app. Cancelling Nav to the SC turned off the battery warm icon.

Interesting tip, this seems to bring back higher regen sooner, esp if just doing short drives like I do (SOC in the 55-60% range, ambient temp -6-7C)

I just checked - while parked waiting for someone I turned on Nav to supercharger and the battery warming icon came in the app. Cancelling Nav to the SC turned off the battery warm icon.

I finally got around to trying this. Last time I left my house to go to the supercharger I checked the phone app and the battery icon was on. So I had a thought: Could I just do it from my home which is 28 km away from the supercharger, navigate to supercharger using the app, send it to the car half an hour before leaving the house and will it preheat the battery?

I had to go to the car to "start it" but left it in park. I heard the coolant pump start and about 45 seconds later the battery warm icon came on. And that was with the climate off.

IMG_0567.PNG

As soon as I left the car it went off. I tried keeping the car on, putting it in dog mode, but that didn't work. I guess if I really wanted to trick it I could put some large mass on the seat, but don't know how else to keep the car in "start mode" by me not being in it. Just keeping the door open doesn't work; the car stops. Don't think I just want to sit in the car for half an hour before driving in order to reduce regen... come on Tesla, give us the option to turn on battery heater independent of climate control.

Not going to have much regen next week : check out our forecast:

Screen Shot 2020-01-12 at 6.11.47 AM.png

Reactions: David99
I finally got around to trying this. Last time I left my house to go to the supercharger I checked the phone app and the battery icon was on. So I had a thought: Could I just do it from my home which is 28 km away from the supercharger, navigate to supercharger using the app, send it to the car half an hour before leaving the house and will it preheat the battery?

Yes, I tried the same thing. It will not run the battery heater unless you are in the car driving it to the supercharger. You don't have to be moving but just sitting in P doesn't work. It's really annoying that Tesla is doing it that way. I understand them being more careful now about having the battery at the right temperature when charging and allow regen, but many of us don't mind spending some energy on warming up the battery before we start driving in the morning to get consistent regen behavior.

The best method I found is charging the battery so it finishes just before I leave in the morning. Charging causes heat losses inside the battery and as well losses in the on board chargers that are feeding the coolant loop also helping to warm up the battery.

So I might have some insight into this. I overheard a tech at the service center last week telling a customer who complained about this that the minimum optimal operating temperature was raised a few months ago to around 24-25c. It was previously around ~10c lower than the new value. This is what might be causing the crappier Regen now with the colder temps upon us.

Reactions: thewinelake
Yes, I tried the same thing. It will not run the battery heater unless you are in the car driving it to the supercharger. You don't have to be moving but just sitting in P doesn't work.
My experience is different - the battery heater does seem to turn on with Nav set to a Supercharger, even if just sitting in P (same as I mentioned in earlier post above, when I tried it while parked waiting for someone)

I just tried this again in my car to reconfirm...

SOC at about 60%, car was plugged in but I didn't drive yesterday nor charge it last night, so battery certainly cold this morning. Outside temp colder than usual, around -5C. I did drive the car a few hours ago this a.m. but only a few km so no time to warm up, and after that it's been parked, now unplugged, in my detached uninsulated/unheated garage, -3C showing on the dash.

So just now I got in the car, set nav to the nearest Supercharger ~5km//15min drive away, had the mobile app open on the Climate page. About a minute after pressing once on the brake but with the car still in P, the battery heat icon came on in the app. I forgot to turn HVAC off before doing this test, so not sure if that has any effect here whether hvac on or off. But anyhow didn't have to put the car into D to start the battery heater. v2019.40.2

In another thread someone mentioned it depends on distance or time to drive to the Supercharger, maybe that's the important factor

• Informative
Reactions: David99
My experience is different - the battery heater does seem to turn on with Nav set to a Supercharger, even if just sitting in P (same as I mentioned in earlier post above, when I tried it while parked waiting for someone)

I just tried this again in my car to reconfirm...

SOC at about 60%, car was plugged in but I didn't drive yesterday nor charge it last night, so battery certainly cold this morning. Outside temp colder than usual, around -5C. I did drive the car a few hours ago this a.m. but only a few km so no time to warm up, and after that it's been parked, now unplugged, in my detached uninsulated/unheated garage, -3C showing on the dash.

So just now I got in the car, set nav to the nearest Supercharger ~5km//15min drive away, had the mobile app open on the Climate page. About a minute after pressing once on the brake but with the car still in P, the battery heat icon came on in the app. I forgot to turn HVAC off before doing this test, so not sure if that has any effect here whether hvac on or off. But anyhow didn't have to put the car into D to start the battery heater. v2019.40.2

In another thread someone mentioned it depends on distance or time to drive to the Supercharger, maybe that's the important factor

Can you do the same test one more time and see if the battery heater turns on without having a supercharger in the navigation. I believe the coolant heater will turn on if the battery is below 0 C one way or another.

Can you do the same test one more time and see if the battery heater turns on without having a supercharger in the navigation. I believe the coolant heater will turn on if the battery is below 0 C one way or another.
ok, I'll give that a try tomorrow, i'ts going to still be below freezing next couple days

but note that in my earlier post #50 the outside temp was about +6C or +7C (just noticed a typo in that post, I meant positive degrees ambient, NOT negative...). At that >0C temp I was still able to turn on battery heat by setting nav to a SC while parked in P.