Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

restricted regen - not fully charge, nor very cold

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
last couple of days have been getting into car with partially restricted regenerative braking. 2016 90D. I've only had the car since mid October, so maybe i am just seeing this as it gets a little colder (in san diego though, it doesn't get that cold here).. but for me it started with 36.2.1, hadn't seen before and pretty sure its been colder.

captured twice now, attached..

57% SOC, 57 degrees
View media item 120645
72% at 60degrees
View media item 120644
is my experience unusual?

Same with me - charged to 80% this morning in the garage (north of 50 degrees). Left at about 8am to drop my son off at school and had six regen dots on my model 3 that remained until I go to my parking garage 20 miles/45 minutes later. I've been seeing this if I charge over 70% and come off a charge right when I'm about to leave. If it's cold out, even if the battery has been warmed, regen is somewhat limited. It certainly beats not warming the battery in freezing temps when regen is 0.

last couple of days have been getting into car with partially restricted regenerative braking. 2016 90D. I've only had the car since mid October, so maybe i am just seeing this as it gets a little colder (in san diego though, it doesn't get that cold here).. but for me it started with 36.2.1, hadn't seen before and pretty sure its been colder.
I'm pretty sure that's just from some cold. You do need to remember that the temperature you are seeing on the gauge for what the air is outside right now is probably not what the temperature is in the inside of a 1,000+ pound block of metal that was cold-soaking all night. It's probably still 10-20 degrees colder than the outside air, as it will probably lag by at least an hour from the current air temperature. So yes, some partial regen when the battery itself is around 50 degrees or less is totally normal, so I would still expect to see that in the mornings if the current temperature is mid 50's because it was colder than that during the night.

Reactions: MP3Mike
Yes, it is some of the later firmware that did it. I am MAD AS *ELL.
I had my car for years, half the year it is cold here north.
regen is a joke now, as it never gets to temperature during 40min winter driving.
It were parked in 5°C - so the battery was about that warm. I switched on preheating, after 20minutes there were still 0kW regen (by BMS max charge) then drove later on.
After one hour since preheating(and driving), the battery average cell temperature was 12°C , and max regen was 25kW

This is BAD !
-Much more energy & time is wasted preheating before charging
-Much less energy is regenerated.
-Driving experience sucks without good regen.

I have written to local Tesla as well as support-email, and I expect lots of others to do the same.
Tesla should not fck up my car 4 years after I bought it, increasing charging times/consumption and reducing driving fidelity.

Reactions: InternetDude
1,000+ pound block of metal that was cold-soaking all night. It's probably still 10-20 degrees colder than the outside air

both of these cases were in the afternoon, not in the morning.. (5pm for first photo and 11am today) nor was it ever much colder than 55F (low yesterday was 52) the only thing going on weather wise was that it was raining / overcast the last couple days so the highs werent very high.. so the battery could of gotten to a lower average temp without warmer daytime hours.

will keep an eye on it for a further pattern, seems pretty lame though if it is temp.

Last edited:
It seems the new SW has made the batteryheating in S and X behave like the Model 3s battery. The battery in Model 3 tolerates the cold better and gives better regen at low temps than S and X. Basically the new SW disables the batteryheater most of the time, except when charging or driving long trips. Not working with just preheating. I will wait and not update untill this is resolved.

First, I thought it's a cold weather, but it is not that cold in NJ and the car is garaged, which is in mid-upper 50-s. Now, after reading this post, I realize, it started after the new SW...

Maybe a somwhat older thread, but I hit it because I was searching about this issue. I've a November 2015 S 85D. Usually, regen was only limited either when the battery was 100% full, or when the temperature was lower than about 10C/50F, and went away after about 10-15m of driving. More recently, I noticed that the regen almost never turned off - it was winter, but a mild one, with temps varying between 0-10C/32-54F.

A week ago, the car drov 15m, then was parked outside for about 45m with 20C/68F, and the regen was still limited. Only when I was almost at home, after another 15m drive, would the regen limitation begin to turn off!

Should I then conclude that after the batterygate limitations forced on us, we now also have a regengate? And if Tesla continues like this, in a few years, will Tesla even allow us to drive above 10mi/h?
I'll call a service center when that's possible, but if it really another limitation behind our back, then it's clear my next car will not be Tesla any more. I'm more and more upset about this tendency.

I just pre-heat the cabin for 30 mins before I leave home and I get full regen. Yes its not convenient, but since I got my car only last year, I didn't get used to it like some of you that have had the car for a couple of years and miss it more.

The one "positive" aspect of not having full regen when its cold is that for those of us in colder regions where salt and mud is dumped on the roads, the physical brakes get to be used a bit more. That is good for the brakes to stay nice and free in their movement (pads against the rotor).

Even on a brand new 2020 with the latest battery, you will see both the yellow line, and 'invisible' nerfing of regen as well as huge parasitic losses.
Invisible nerfing is when you see the power meter bottom out at -50kW You can also feel it.

Maybe a somwhat older thread, but I hit it because I was searching about this issue. I've a November 2015 S 85D. Usually, regen was only limited either when the battery was 100% full, or when the temperature was lower than about 10C/50F, and went away after about 10-15m of driving. More recently, I noticed that the regen almost never turned off - it was winter, but a mild one, with temps varying between 0-10C/32-54F.

A week ago, the car drov 15m, then was parked outside for about 45m with 20C/68F, and the regen was still limited. Only when I was almost at home, after another 15m drive, would the regen limitation begin to turn off!

Should I then conclude that after the batterygate limitations forced on us, we now also have a regengate? And if Tesla continues like this, in a few years, will Tesla even allow us to drive above 10mi/h?
I'll call a service center when that's possible, but if it really another limitation behind our back, then it's clear my next car will not be Tesla any more. I'm more and more upset about this tendency.

The Regen threshold temp was definitely raised.

The Regen threshold temp was definitely raised.
MSR LR 2019. Even with 12.5 (latest sw) and pretty warm (15 deg C ambient) Regen is at about 50% and does not start increasing unless you load the battery with some spirited acceleration. Gentle driving on level and regen stays at 50% ish.

I totally don't get why this had to be such a big change in car behavior. For me, driving with limited regen changes the whole driving experience (for the worse) and while pre-heating battery recaptures otherwise wasted energy more efectively by allowing greater regen, what's the point if you are just wasting the energy pre-heating?

It is infuriating that Tesla promotes based on the idea of win-win and ground breaking technology, but then after they've made the sale, they just shrug and say ' whoops, we aren't as good as we claimed after all, so now please accept a downgrade for your car and as a sweetener, we will make it fart and hope you are happy with that instead'.

I totally don't get why this had to be such a big change in car behavior. For me, driving with limited regen changes the whole driving experience (for the worse) and while pre-heating battery recaptures otherwise wasted energy more efectively by allowing greater regen, what's the point if you are just wasting the energy pre-heating?
For me, the point is the "driving experience". :)

Reactions: pilotSteve
MSR LR 2019. Even with 12.5 (latest sw) and pretty warm (15 deg C ambient) Regen is at about 50% and does not start increasing unless you load the battery with some spirited acceleration. Gentle driving on level and regen stays at 50% ish.

It is infuriating that Tesla promotes based on the idea of win-win and ground breaking technology, but then after they've made the sale, they just shrug and say ' whoops, we aren't as good as we claimed after all, so now please accept a downgrade for your car and as a sweetener, we will make it fart and hope you are happy with that instead'.

Like half the people here Tesla forgets some of us live outside California.

I left the house today with zero Regen.

For me, the point is the "driving experience". :)

But is being eco (ish) part of your driving experience? I had several Lotuses (so quite accostomed to Tesla service levels!) but I also really enjoyed driving them. I still have an M100 Elan in San Diego waiting for when I can get back. I love driving. But having switched to a small electric in the UK, powered off solar PV for day to day use, I find it hard going back to dinosaur power.

So for me, 50% of driving the MS is the acceleration, adaptive air, over all feel, and 50% is the satisfaction of not burning gas.

No regen sucks, but so too does wasting the energy benefit of regen by heating the battery just to not suffer little or no regen.

But is being eco (ish) part of your driving experience? I had several Lotuses (so quite accostomed to Tesla service levels!) but I also really enjoyed driving them. I still have an M100 Elan in San Diego waiting for when I can get back. I love driving. But having switched to a small electric in the UK, powered off solar PV for day to day use, I find it hard going back to dinosaur power.

So for me, 50% of driving the MS is the acceleration, adaptive air, over all feel, and 50% is the satisfaction of not burning gas.

No regen sucks, but so too does wasting the energy benefit of regen by heating the battery just to not suffer little or no regen.
Everything you've mentioned as benefits you like are the same for me. Pre-heating the car for 30 mins prior to driving costs me 50 cents, so its still eco (ish) as far as I'm concerned as that is nothing compared to a gas cars expense for fuel.

Pre-heating the car for 30 mins prior to driving costs me 50 cents,

I guess that's fine if you are doing a decent journey. It's unfortunate for me that the first part of many journeys is two miles down hill with 30 / 40 mph speed limit so if do that with my foot on the brake I'm throwing away may be 10 miles range a week.

Not a catastrophe but not ideal by a long way.

I guess that's fine if you are doing a decent journey. It's unfortunate for me that the first part of many journeys is two miles down hill with 30 / 40 mph speed limit so if do that with my foot on the brake I'm throwing away may be 10 miles range a week.

Not a catastrophe but not ideal by a long way.
Just out of curiosity, have you calculated how much it costs in electricity not having full regen for your trips? I'm willing to bet its very little. Not trying to say that makes it justifiable for you in particular.