Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Less regen on 2019.40.2?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This morning was the first opportunity I had to test scheduled charging. It worked, and I was fully charged when I left for work. It was a cold morning (around 25F outside) but the battery was 75F when I pulled out of my garage with full regen available right away. I'll still have to deal with less regen on my drive home, but scheduled charging is a pretty nice new feature.

Is it possible to schedule charging from the App so you have full regen when you pull out of the garage in the morning? Most of my drives are less than 10 miles so this means no regen for the entire winter :(

The only thing you can do from the app is change the charge percentage.

Scheduled charging worked Monday night and also worked last night. I had full regen when I left for work. Maybe it just doesn't like the thought of having to charge on a Monday morning. According to the battery temperature, I'm only a couple degrees above the minimum temperature for full regen (around 66F). Charge efficiency drops off a few percentage points in the cold. If I charge when I get home, efficiency is around 93% but it's now about 89%.

The car appears to schedule its charging and cabin conditioning into two pieces: first it charges the car to the desired percentage, then it conditions the cabin. It completes charging about 45 minutes before the desired departure time. I'm guessing this is so it can better manage the amount of energy going into the battery. I will probably push the departure time later so that it doesn't spend so much time/energy conditioning the cabin.

Is it possible to schedule charging from the App so you have full regen when you pull out of the garage in the morning? Most of my drives are less than 10 miles so this means no regen for the entire winter :(

Enough charge for 10 minutes of driving will not warm up the battery enough to make a difference anyway, based on what I have noticed over the last several days since getting 2019.40.2.1. Not sure how many amps you have on your level II connector, or the temperature of your environment, but my car needs at least an hour of level II charging to make a noticeable dent in the number of yellow dashes.

Just warming the cabin does heat the battery, I have seen the battery icon on the app when doing this, but there was still so little regen doing this 15 minutes before departing it seemed to not be any benefit at all.

Anyone with a 2017 or later car noticing the same reduction of regen?

Yes. Raven S 2019 LR. Seemed fine on previous. After 40.2.1 yellow dashes all the time and only tiny amount of regen at 10 C. Not good as the first part of most drives for me is a couple of miles down hill. What is a real drag is that this makes the car pointless for local runs where I will have my foot on the brake most of the time.

Fortuneately my cheap Renault Zoe regens great from cold.

• Informative
Reactions: T.R.T.e.s.l.a.
Guys, is this issue affecting all S's after the
Yes. Raven S 2019 LR. Seemed fine on previous. After 40.2.1 yellow dashes all the time and only tiny amount of regen at 10 C. Not good as the first part of most drives for me is a couple of miles down hill. What is a real drag is that this makes the car pointless for local runs where I will have my foot on the brake most of the time.

Fortuneately my cheap Renault Zoe regens great from cold.

Ouch! So this is happening all across the fleet?
Now I'm glad i had an issue that unable me to update.
I'll just wait to see if this gets resolved soon and normal regen comes back again.

Why don't they have a 'warm the battery to full regen' option whilst car is plugged in?

That is an awesome idea. At least an option using the the app, as I believe that is the idea behind scheduled departure, but it doesn't help me leaving work. Even if I had a charger at work and could warm up the battery upon departure I would have to change the settings of the schedule on the touchscreen twice a day, which is a little bit of a pain.

My guess: because in most cases that would use (far?) more energy than you would see back through subsequent regen.

I would rather spend 50 cents on electricity then 50 cents on brake pads and rotors.

But efficiency and money isn't really the issue for me, it is the drivability of being able to use 1 pedal only, 95% of the time. Using the brake pedal as much as an ice changes the whole feel of the car.

This thread has made me speculate on a related issue I've been having. I, too, have noticed the regen problem on both my Model S and Model X.

However, I also seem to be having a scheduled charging problem and I'm starting to think . Ever since 36.x.x and coincidentally, since our Southern California winter has begun, I've had issues with charging overnight. My normal process is to plug the car in when I get home from work (6:00 or so) and charging starts with cheaper rates at 10 pm.

The rub is that I park in a carport. By the time the car starts to charge at 10 pm, the car battery is as cold as the outside temperature -- about 40-45 F or so on the nights I've had problems.

And...the car has failed to charge. Worse, I'm seeing all sorts of temporary warning screens and re-boots of the both the MCU and the IC the next morning. All of which are cleared after several rounds of resets.

I've had zero issues charging right when I get home and battery is still warm.

I had thought the issue was isolated to my Model S, but saw the exact same behavior with our MX last night. And it was pretty cold overnight.

Anyone else seeing this issue?

(I have a ranger appointment scheduled for next week but thought I'd see if I can nudge them into pursuing the issue with Fremont by gathering some intel from TMC).

Warming up the battery by charging sure helps. Even here in San Diego this time of year. One pedal driving is really fantastic, I wish it was more consistent.

I was one also calling for more aggressive regen. So for me, the current reduction in regen is going in the wrong direction.

After the latest update(s), i drove as aggressive as possible on a 20min 8.5mi drive on 50mph roads with multiple stop lights, and i still didn’t have more than 25kwh regen at the end of the drive. I park in a carport and don’t charge every night. The lowest temp was 38 degrees last night, and i left in the morning at 9am when it was 49 deg. Parked for 20 min, then headed back home on the same route and finally after another 10 min of aggressive driving i had my regen fully restored. Very different from when i bought the car last year.

I have a 2014 S85 and just updated to 40.2.3 and it looks like my regen is pretty much back to normal, or at least much less throttled. The last couple weeks I’ve had almost no regen and limited power around 50 degrees ambient, and with a 10 mile drive I wouldn’t get any of it back, maybe a little.

After this update, I charged to 80%, let the battery sit in the cold for 6 hours, and then turned on the cabin heat about 10 minutes before I left. Same thing I do every day, roughly the same exterior temp. I even preheated shorter than normal and the battery SOC was 80, higher than my typical.

I only had slightly restricted regen and power, and within 5 minutes I had no dotted lines at all. I had 78% SOC, 50 degrees ambient. Before the update I would have maybe 25% regen if that. This update is being pushed out fast to older cars also, which also makes me suspect it has some kind of adjustment. Either the battery heater is working again when the car is preconditioning (maybe a scheduled departure bug messed this up) or possibly they identified cars that need to be throttled ala batterygate and let some of us off the hook.

Reactions: Lectric_Agent