Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Less than 2 weeks old and going off road

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Not quite how the title makes it sound - brand new Model X, going along a country road from the supermarket back home, a tractor coming the other way decides that he needs more than half the road despite having room to spare on his side, leaving me a choice of a rather large tractor wheel or a bush. It was lucky I was only doing about half the speed limit and only a glancing blow of the bush - took the wing mirror cover off and that was all. I wasn't using auto pilot, not sure quite what it could have done anyway as there was no time to stop and no where to swerve to.

In fairness, the car handled itself well when it left the road (2 wheels only), it still felt safe and stable and now I'm sat at home working out the dash cam settings so I can have that for the next time...

Not quite how the title makes it sound - brand new Model X, going along a country road from the supermarket back home, a tractor coming the other way decides that he needs more than half the road despite having room to spare on his side, leaving me a choice of a rather large tractor wheel or a bush. It was lucky I was only doing about half the speed limit and only a glancing blow of the bush - took the wing mirror cover off and that was all. I wasn't using auto pilot, not sure quite what it could have done anyway as there was no time to stop and no where to swerve to.

In fairness, the car handled itself well when it left the road (2 wheels only), it still felt safe and stable and now I'm sat at home working out the dash cam settings so I can have that for the next time...

Out here in rural nowhere the oncoming vehicle on a single track road is common. I'm very careful about what passing bays/spaces I'll use/ It;s not a matter of worrying about traction it's a matter of clearance and invisible holes in boggy places. It often ends up with a choice of stopping and playing mind games with the other driver or just taking a deep sigh and reversing on the camera for a 100yds...
It's also a pain paging through the menus to raise suspension on my S and they've reduced the max height recently.