Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Let the hacking begin... (Model S parts on the bench)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Whatever project is more interesting to you than this must be one hell of a project. I look forward to hearing about it. ;)

Guess I can tease. :p

dash-apart.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

wk, does Tesla use 29-bit addressing for these messages? I can't think otherwise how they can stick so much distinct data into the bus.

They do some addressing inside the 8-byte data. For example, the individual pack cell group voltages are all in one CAN ID.

It's a woman.

Can't be, since my wife swears my projects get more attention than her. lol.

Reactions: APotatoGod
So far I've nailed down things like battery pack voltage, current, vehicle speed, cruise settings, pack temperature, individual cell group voltages, individual battery module temperatures, throttle position, and some other misc stuff. That's probably 0.01% of the data available on CAN3 alone. lol. Granted a lot of that data no one probably cares about.. I don't particularly think an owner needs the 32-bit checksum of the firmware on the fast charger control module displayed anywhere, for example... but that info is on the bus a few times per second.

Cool. Basically all I'm interested is in variables related to the drivetrain. Maybe a few more than the ones you hit on to show thermal controller state (passive cooling, active heating, etc.) and that would just about wrap up my interest in the diagnostic screens.

@lola, @wk - Any plans to release a guide in the coming months to show the rest of us how to sniff and parse CAN traffic? That would be awesome!

I forget exactly where I spotted it on mine, but yeah probably somewhere in the CAN data. Keep in mind my bench is v6.1, so only has hidden autopilot type stuff.

15 digits starting with 8823... the cell IP when connected briefly was in the 10.0.0.0/8 range.

Most cell phones have a RFC1918 address on their radios for data. The cell phone companies don't have enough IPs for everyone to have one so they do NAT like a home router does, but on a larger scale. It's a NAT pool of addresses.

I like to take a more positive view to Tesla's position. The fact that Jason has been able to get this far, should really make them even more aware of potential vulnerabilities.

The bench is running 6.1, and 7 might be entirely different, but I doubt whether they ever considered anyone would go to such great lengths to figure all this out. If they are smart, they cooperate... If only to learn, and make our future cars better and safer.

This is causing an awful lot of hand wringing here guys. But you're frothing at nothing here. Sure, you should take it very seriously in the matter of people braking into your car over the wireless or via the Tesla computer system. Those kinds of vulnerabilities can cause damage and there are always those out their willing to pee in the pool.

That's kind of a different matter than taking abunch of salvage parts and wiring it up on your own bench to see what's inside. And gaining root on the Linux side, or decoding the CAN messages used to control the various systems in the car is useful, interesting, and fun. And totally harmless.

Elon Musk himself made a careful delineation between "network security" and securing a car (or by his example a computer) that someone has physical access to. He's done plenty of coding in his rise to the top and is completely aware of the issues. It's just not possible to secure hardware that you can poke with probes. So nobody does much to secure it.

Connections via wireless or ethernet connected to the public Internet are ALL of the issues of security. Diagnostics panels and CAN bus message IDs just are NOT. I'm sorry. They aren't and never will be - except to the totally stoned uninitiated and talking heads on TV.

Jason is doing some great work and we're all learning much about our cars in the process. The hand wringers worried over this simply don't understand the issues. It is not what someone can do to your car if they break in via wireless, GSM, or perhaps some sort of localized FOB/wireless combination, it's that they can break in. That's where the focus has to be on security. Tesla has no interest in your reading your cell voltages on the CAN bus. But they would be all ears if there is some weakness with the FOB action, or over the GSM link, or via their computer system that has access to the cars for rebooting and flashing new firmware. No, not flashing it with a couple of thousand dollars worth of test equipment in piece on your bench. Doing it remotely via the network.

Jack Rickard

@jrickard, I don't blame you for not reading through all ~350 posts on this thread but no one is "wringing their hands" over wk's physical access to the IC and MCU on his workbench. There was discussion about remote access which, as you point out, would be a concern but that's not what is going on here (as far as I know).
The second issue was about making changes to the software on a live car not on a bench. The question on that aspect is a bit broader because it includes safety and perhaps legal issues.

I've got a bunch of designs and tools left over from a past life looking at automotive ECUs. One of them is a small dongle design that was used for, among other things, reflashing tasks. It has CAN, can run off vehicle or USB power and represents itself as a mass storage class device for pulling off data. I'm working in support of wk's efforts to generate a small, inexpensive data logging capability. The device has a reasonably powerful processor and some on board flash. The goal would be to generate a logging capability that filters and discriminates so as to generate useful data files without the need for lots of post processing.

More will be coming via WK.

Been away from this project again a bit with another project having a little more priority. Eventually I'll share the other project, but for now let's stick with this one.

That said, Tesla does make *modifying* CAN values pretty tricky. For example, there were some hacks of other cars where people flooded the CAN bus with stuff to make it do certain things. That wouldn't work nearly as easily on a Model S even with access to the CAN bus. First, most of Tesla's important CAN messages, especially ones that control things, include an extra checksum. Then, they include a counter to ensure messages are received in order. Then on top of that, on more important stuff, they include a nonce that further obfuscates the checksum and such. I haven't figured out the checksum, seems non-standard. So, if I were to do some kind of CAN attack I'd have to log hundreds of thousands of packets into a table and pull from it in order to even attempt something which would likely only be successful at most for a few packets (maybe 0.1s) before the real packets took hold again. Just speculation there, but it wouldn't even be worth trying.

\.

I guess you would call it a checksum or CRC in a way. Tesla does some very tricky stuff that initially looks like it is trying to prevent tampering. I guess with some further experience with it, I think it's more a data integrity thing applied to a number of messages that are kind of critical. CAN already has a pretty robust CRC applied at the hardware level that the software guys never see. Forgetting about it, you tend to try to harden a bit anyway when it is something important with the drive train.

Basically, they like to put little software clocks or counters into CAN messages, along with the data, and then CRC that. And so the CRC byte is one series in one mode, but a different one in a different mode. And they tend to turn modes on with short bursts of these packets, which otherwise are regularly transmitted but don't do very much. So the commands for Park for example, aren't static. It sends about 13-15 packets wiht the mode change, detects an acceptance from the inverter, and then goes back to the normal state. But any change generates a CRC that appears kind of tricky because of a simple clock counter in the message indexing each frame. So you're transmitting the same data, but the crc changes because of the usually four bit clock that clicks along with each frame.

Getting over the paranoia, I don't think it has anything to do with security in the fact that someone might "break in" it's just a data integrity thing. But it does make it nearly impossible to inject change frames into the string of existing ones and get any response at all. We're just kind of focused on it in getting control of the Drive Unit for use in other cars - not in doing anything with it IN a Tesla. Our challenge is to get it to work WITHOUT a Tesla wrapped around it.

Jack Rickard

I've got a bunch of designs and tools left over from a past life looking at automotive ECUs. One of them is a small dongle design that was used for, among other things, reflashing tasks. It has CAN, can run off vehicle or USB power and represents itself as a mass storage class device for pulling off data. I'm working in support of wk's efforts to generate a small, inexpensive data logging capability. The device has a reasonably powerful processor and some on board flash. The goal would be to generate a logging capability that filters and discriminates so as to generate useful data files without the need for lots of post processing.

More will be coming via WK.

I think it's worth noting that EVTV does already sell a device that works with the Tesla Model S diag connector and also has free firmware and PC based software to go along with it:
EVTV Motor Verks Store: SavvyCAN for Tesla Model S, CAN Tools, TeslaCANKit

It is, perhaps, a bit more expensive than some other options but you get what you pay for. If it makes anyone feel better, just assume the price includes the software. ;)

That specific device is Tesla specific but EVTV also sells the EVTVDue and CANDue 2.0. Both of those are generic. The CANDue 2.0 has two CAN buses and can log directly to a microSD card.

Cool. Basically all I'm interested is in variables related to the drivetrain. Maybe a few more than the ones you hit on to show thermal controller state (passive cooling, active heating, etc.) and that would just about wrap up my interest in the diagnostic screens.

@lola, @wk - Any plans to release a guide in the coming months to show the rest of us how to sniff and parse CAN traffic? That would be awesome!

I've thought about writing up an accessible guide for how to do this. I know that opengarages is coming out with a new version of their manual soon: http://opengarages.org/handbook/

There is a lot that goes into this whole thing. It goes in layers. First you need the proper hardware. Then you need to capture a lot of data. Then you have to figure out how to interpret that data. It all takes a lot of time. Proper hardware and software is the foundation for the whole thing. Then, a background in discrete mathematics can't hurt.

Reactions: NiallDarwin
Great thread.

@WK - maybe I could request a small piece of info please.

Are you able to look out the signal strength values for each of the wifi "bars" on the display?

I am convinced I have a duff wifi antenna or something, as at home I barely get one bar on the car when I get full strength on the phone.
It would be great if I could compare the "bars" against what dB signal strength my phone app is telling me.

tia

That said, Tesla does make *modifying* CAN values pretty tricky. For example, there were some hacks of other cars where people flooded the CAN bus with stuff to make it do certain things. That wouldn't work nearly as easily on a Model S even with access to the CAN bus. First, most of Tesla's important CAN messages, especially ones that control things, include an extra checksum. Then, they include a counter to ensure messages are received in order. Then on top of that, on more important stuff, they include a nonce that further obfuscates the checksum and such. I haven't figured out the checksum, seems non-standard. So, if I were to do some kind of CAN attack I'd have to log hundreds of thousands of packets into a table and pull from it in order to even attempt something which would likely only be successful at most for a few packets (maybe 0.1s) before the real packets took hold again. Just speculation there, but it wouldn't even be worth trying.

I have figured out the checksum byte. I don't think it was anything standard. It is possible to capture many packets and build up a table but that always feels lame to me. It's better if you can figure out a suitable algorithm to calculate it. The bonus there is that programmers are lazy and tend to use the same algorithm everywhere so once you crack it in one place you can use it all over. I know for a fact that Nissan did this with the Leaf. Many frames use the same algorithm for the security byte / nonce / checksum / whatever you want to call it. Also, revisit the counter and replay idea. If you see traffic on the bus you can replay but one ahead on the counter. Now your frame shows up as the proper next frame. When the car tries to send its normal frame it gets rejected for being a dupe of the frame you sent. Now you are in control so long as you transmit fast enough to always be ahead of the normal sending from the real source. It is possible to do a MITM attack while the original device is also still transmitting but YMMV.

MITM attacks on CAN devices are pretty useless too, for reasons @lolachampcar already explained, and others.

No... Not really useless. They can be plenty effective. But, for best results a MITM attack requires that you cut the can wires and place a device in between. Still, the reasons given for not doing it are valid. It could mess something up, the things you want to do might not even be exposed on the bus, etc. But, it can work.

So far I've nailed down things like battery pack voltage, current, vehicle speed, cruise settings, pack temperature, individual cell group voltages, individual battery module temperatures, throttle position, and some other misc stuff. That's probably 0.01% of the data available on CAN3 alone. lol. Granted a lot of that data no one probably cares about.. I don't particularly think an owner needs the 32-bit checksum of the firmware on the fast charger control module displayed anywhere, for example... but that info is on the bus a few times per second.

Some day we've all got to sit down, sing Kumbaya, hold hands, and share our findings. It's getting a little weird. I know of like 4 different teams of people who are decoding Tesla Model S canbus frames and none of them are sharing that much with the others. I have most all of the things you mentioned but it's always good to get verification.

Reactions: NiallDarwin
I am convinced I have a duff wifi antenna or something, as at home I barely get one bar on the car when I get full strength on the phone.
It would be great if I could compare the "bars" against what dB signal strength my phone app is telling me.

tia

Just wanted to share that I have the same 'problem'... 1 bar in car, full strength on phone. Doesn't seem to actually be causing any issues.

smac,

I'll be doing the stuff "in support of wk".... Not sure exactly what the targets will be as far as logged data but the hardware will be a simple 3" square bit with the Tesla diag cable one one side and a USB connector on the other. Any monies at all related to the project will be solely to cover costs. This is not a retail thing and will be done only to support forum members (kinda like the key fob thing I did).

Hardware will be based on one of the boards I did for this tuner-
EFIdude
I have a dozen or so of the boards around here and just need to order some cables.

@lolachampcar

Would it not be better to reuse the OVMS hardware (that has internet connectivity)? or is this dongle just for reverse engineering. It seems like everybody goes about creating a new device every week when there is already a plethora of hardware options that can handle the bus load: teensy 3.1, CANdue, CANtact, OVMS, or the Kvaser Leaf Light on the professional end of things (I got mine for a good deal on eBay). As many in silicon valley would say, this is a software problem, everything that's out there is either closed source, garbage, or both. With the notable exception of SavvyCAN by Collin Kidder (free, cross platform, and fairly capable) and perhaps Busmaster, there aren't many good pieces of software out there, that's really where the effort is needed.

Just my 2cents