Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Let's talk financing rates

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Quick question:

Just placed my order last night. Delivery is 3-6 weeks. Knowing Tesla, it could be in the 6th week. So, when is a good time to apply for the loan since it's typically only good for 30 days. Should I start applying for it now or wait?

This is my first time doing loan outside of dealership. I haven't bought a new car for over 15 years.

I contacted my credit union about 3 days after I configured my Model 3 to get the ball rolling with the loan. Once your bank or credit union receives the final signed paperwork from Tesla then they can finalize the loan and send the money to Tesla or send you a check to bring with you when you take delivery. Since you live in California you probably won't be waiting as long as those of us on the East coast. I only received the check from my credit union yesterday and I will be taking delivery on Thursday. Better to get the process started now so you have time to deal with any unexpected issues.

I contacted my credit union about 3 days after I configured my Model 3 to get the ball rolling with the loan. Once your bank or credit union receives the final signed paperwork from Tesla then they can finalize the loan and send the money to Tesla or send you a check to bring with you when you take delivery. Since you live in California you probably won't be waiting as long as those of us on the East coast. I only received the check from my credit union yesterday and I will be taking delivery on Thursday. Better to get the process started now so you have time to deal with any unexpected issues.
thanks!

Reactions: PoitNarf
Got pre-approved for 1.99% up to 5 years with them today.

Excellent. Yes I talked to their agent on the phone and was told 6 years could be doable at 1.99% and 80LTV on a case by case

He knew it was for a Tesla, said they are getting swamped by Tesla applications :p

I read some reviews about some auto loans with them and some had issues down the road with fees and extra payments because of so called inadequate insurance coverage etc. Fingers crossed..

Excellent. Yes I talked to their agent on the phone and was told 6 years could be doable at 1.99% and 80LTV on a case by case

He knew it was for a Tesla, said they are getting swamped by Tesla applications :p

I read some reviews about some auto loans with them and some had issues down the road with fees and extra payments because of so called inadequate insurance coverage etc. Fingers crossed..

Also applied to TechCU. Per the agent, 66 months for 2.4% and 5 years for 1.99%. I probably will go w/ FPCU since they have a branch close by. Please do share if you have more info on the "fees and extra payments". Got to hate those hidden fees! :(

Also applied to TechCU. Per the agent, 66 months for 2.4% and 5 years for 1.99%. I probably will go w/ FPCU since they have a branch close by. Please do share if you have more info on the "fees and extra payments". Got to hate those hidden fees! :(

I called TechCU this morning after seeing their 1.99% and it has already increased to 2.5% :(
FPCU seems the way to go. My agent is not responding to SMSs so might have to get another.
Reviews were on Yelp, looking at their different branches.

Applying for FPCU and LA Federal Credit Union was a lengthy process for me. Due to my relatively young age, they needed all sorts of documents as proof of my identity and income because I apparently didn't "match the average person for that age". This wouldn't have been a problem if they had branches open during the weekend, which they don't so I had to schedule a day off from work so I didn't have to provide them via snail mail.

My delivery date came up much earlier than expected so I ended up going with Logix Federal Credit Union as I had already paid off a $40k car loan with them in the past.

60 months: 2.49%
72 months: 2.99%

You can extend the loan by 6 months while keeping the same rate if you get GAP insurance, which I opted out of. Unfortunately, my credit score came out at 728 which was 2 points shy of their 730 requirement for those rates, so I ended up getting 3.24% for 60 months and 3.99% for 72 months. :(

On the bright side, they said they'd lower my interest rate if I gained those 2 points within the next 60 days after delivery at the expense of another hard pull.

You guys should consider joining PVFCU. I got 1.99% for 84 months.

They required you to join a food co-op if you dont live in VA. Food co-op is $200, but they only took $25 from me and wouldnt collect the rest till im in their store. I’m over 3 hrs away ;)

$25 but save me thousands. At 1.99 I’ll get better return investing.

You guys should consider joining PVFCU. I got 1.99% for 84 months.

They required you to join a food co-op if you dont live in VA. Food co-op is $200, but they only took $25 from me and wouldnt collect the rest till im in their store. I’m over 3 hrs away ;)

$25 but save me thousands. At 1.99 I’ll get better return investing.
If I'm in FL, will they accept my m3 loan?