Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Let's talk winter tires for the 3

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I got the 18" Michelin X-Ice Xi3 last winter and they worked well. They are as quiet or quieter than the stock Michelin Primacy MXM4 18s and performed well for winter in Alberta.

Its much easier to change winter tires if you get a second set of rims.

I got the 18" R187 from Replika Wheels which look similar to the Tesla sport wheels. These have the same center bore as stock so you do not need any hub rings and can use the Tesla center caps with them.

Another option is the Replica 171 from Art Replica which has similar looks.

As a note, Fast Wheels has new rims coming soon (pricing and ordering information early August?, first customer wheels October?) that you may want to check out - the FAST EV1 which has "aero" inserts.
You can either get them for your winters, or better yet put the winters on your aero rims and put your summers on the EV1.
Some info below:
The new Fast EV Wheel for Model 3 is coming - help me design it!

I got the tires, rims, and generic TPMS from pmctire.com which has reasonable prices and free mounting+shipping. They also have fairly frequent specials to save even more.

Last edited:
Reactions: mswlogo
I have a set of x-ice 3 which works great but wondering if I should try out a different sets for my wife's M3. Is it that much noisier for the Nokian?

I’m am a huge fan of Nokian’s, but I’ve seen a few comments by folks that went with Nokian’s on a Model 3 regarding them being noisy. I’ve run Nokian’s many many years (I have them on my VERY QUIET Jeep Summit) and they always have been a little noisier than summer tires (on normal cars that are already quiet). The model 3 started with its summer tires already being to noisy. After a lot of digging it appeared the Xi3’s are very well noted for being quiet. That’s the tire I wanted. And the 40K tread wear was a bonus. Because one set of Nokian’s always lasted the entire ownership of the car.

I’d love you to try Nokian's and give a true A B comparison :)

Reactions: homer214
I’m am a huge fan of Nokian’s, but I’ve seen a few comments by folks that went with Nokian’s on a Model 3 regarding them being noisy. I’ve run Nokian’s many many years (I have them on my VERY QUIET Jeep Summit) and they always have been a little noisier than summer tires (on normal cars that are already quiet). The model 3 started with its summer tires already being to noisy. After a lot of digging it appeared the Xi3’s are very well noted for being quiet. That’s the tire I wanted. And the 40K tread wear was a bonus. Because one set of Nokian’s always lasted the entire ownership of the car.

I’d love you to try Nokian's and give a true A B comparison :)
I had the X-Ice - in Toronto (Beaches). I didn't feel like they were performing very well (LR RWD) - especially in my area of town on the inclines. I swapped to the R3's and really didn't feel they were any louder - but the performance in deep / packed icy snow felt much better than the X-Ice. Just my opinion... but was really disappointed in the X-Ice's given the comments I had read. Maybe I just had unreasonable expectations.

I did a lot of research on winter tire pricing and am sharing the info here so it can be helpful to others.
Note I am in the state of PA so your pricing may be different.

Tesla offers an 18” wheel and winter tire package featuring the Pirelli Sotozero Serie II tire for $2,000.

TSportline offers an 18” wheel and winter tire package featuring the X Ice Xi3 for $2,850 shipped.

Tesla offers a 19” wheel and winter tire package featuring the Pirelli Sotozero 3 tire for $3,500.

TSportline 18” wheels without tire and TPMS shipped is $1,680.

Tesla 18” wheels (without aero hubcaps) and TPMS picked up at my local service center is around $1,185 plus tax.

The Tesla service station in my area will mount and balance wheels and tires for around $125.

Tesla will make you sign a waiver if they mount non OEM wheels and tires. Tesla will not give you a complimentary tire swap in the winter if you mount a non OEM tire on their wheel.

Tesla will swap out your summer wheels and tires for winter wheels and tires at a price of around $75.

I heard great reviews on the Michelin X Ice Xi3 tire and Pirelli Sotozero 3 tire. The X Ice is a winter studless tire and the Pirelli is a winter performance tire. The Pirelli Serie II tire on the 18” winter tire package has “ok” reviews, but the Pirelli 3 winter tire on the 19” winter tire package has much better reviews. I found the Pirelli brand should be less squirmy and it is made for high performance vehicles, but lacks some winter handling qualities that the Michelin X Ice tire excels at. The Pirelli 3 tire can be found in an 18” tire size, but the load rating is not “spec” for a Tesla Model 3. The 18” X Ice tire meets Tesla load ratings as far as I can tell.

The Blizzak WS90 was also highly recommended to me by my local garage, but they said the tire is very soft and should not be run in warm weather and can feel squirmy under high power, which the Tesla has.

Pricing is fairly similar across the board for these tires in the $210 each range. I found a decent sale on the X Ice Xi3 tire on Walmart’s website and bought a set for just under $200 per tire with free shipping. My local garage who has handled my Tesla before will mount and balance the wheels and tires for less than Tesla charges, and then I don’t need to sign a waiver from Tesla either. Total cost for an 18” Tesla OEM wheel set and X Ice Xi3 tire combo should be about $2,100 which I feel is better for my application compared to the $2,000 Tesla 18” wheel and Pirelli Serie II tire package on their website.

I did a lot of research on winter tire pricing and am sharing the info here so it can be helpful to others.
Note I am in the state of PA so your pricing may be different.

Tesla offers an 18” wheel and winter tire package featuring the Pirelli Sotozero Serie II tire for $2,000.

TSportline offers an 18” wheel and winter tire package featuring the X Ice Xi3 for $2,850 shipped.

Tesla offers a 19” wheel and winter tire package featuring the Pirelli Sotozero 3 tire for $3,500.

TSportline 18” wheels without tire and TPMS shipped is $1,680.

Tesla 18” wheels (without aero hubcaps) and TPMS picked up at my local service center is around $1,185 plus tax.

The Tesla service station in my area will mount and balance wheels and tires for around $125.

Tesla will make you sign a waiver if they mount non OEM wheels and tires. Tesla will not give you a complimentary tire swap in the winter if you mount a non OEM tire on their wheel.

Tesla will swap out your summer wheels and tires for winter wheels and tires at a price of around $75.

I heard great reviews on the Michelin X Ice Xi3 tire and Pirelli Sotozero 3 tire. The X Ice is a winter studless tire and the Pirelli is a winter performance tire. The Pirelli Serie II tire on the 18” winter tire package has “ok” reviews, but the Pirelli 3 winter tire on the 19” winter tire package has much better reviews. I found the Pirelli brand should be less squirmy and it is made for high performance vehicles, but lacks some winter handling qualities that the Michelin X Ice tire excels at. The Pirelli 3 tire can be found in an 18” tire size, but the load rating is not “spec” for a Tesla Model 3. The 18” X Ice tire meets Tesla load ratings as far as I can tell.

The Blizzak WS90 was also highly recommended to me by my local garage, but they said the tire is very soft and should not be run in warm weather and can feel squirmy under high power, which the Tesla has.

Pricing is fairly similar across the board for these tires in the $210 each range. I found a decent sale on the X Ice Xi3 tire on Walmart’s website and bought a set for just under $200 per tire with free shipping. My local garage who has handled my Tesla before will mount and balance the wheels and tires for less than Tesla charges, and then I don’t need to sign a waiver from Tesla either. Total cost for an 18” Tesla OEM wheel set and X Ice Xi3 tire combo should be about $2,100 which I feel is better for my application compared to the $2,000 Tesla 18” wheel and Pirelli Serie II tire package on their website.

Nice write up.

So I have X-Ice 3 on OEM Aero Rims and Pirelli P7+ on OEM 19”. Both mounted at non Tesla SC. Bought the 19” OEM wheels direct fro
Tesla.

If I get a flat, are you saying they won’t loan me a wheel? Or they will but will charge for it?

Haven’t read all responses.

But saw Nokians recommended. To back this up, I’ve looked up the Tesla store in Sweden because of relatives there. The stores sell winter wheels and tires along with the car and Nokian is the winter tire that comes as the option.

Nice write up.

So I have X-Ice 3 on OEM Aero Rims and Pirelli P7+ on OEM 19”. Both mounted at non Tesla SC. Bought the 19” OEM wheels direct fro
Tesla.

If I get a flat, are you saying they won’t loan me a wheel? Or they will but will charge for it?

If you get a flat on a non Tesla tire, they cannot order you a new non Tesla tire, even if it is mounted on a Tesla wheel. If you provide them a non Tesla tire, they will mount it after you sign a waiver, for a fee.

They could probably stick a Tesla approved tire on the wheel where you had a flat, but then you would be driving with different tires on the vehicle and I don't think that would be wise unless it was for a short distance to get back home.

If you get a flat on a non Tesla tire, they cannot order you a new non Tesla tire, even if it is mounted on a Tesla wheel. If you provide them a non Tesla tire, they will mount it after you sign a waiver, for a fee.

They could probably stick a Tesla approved tire on the wheel where you had a flat, but then you would be driving with different tires on the vehicle and I don't think that would be wise unless it was for a short distance to get back home.

I don't really care about Tesla replacing or patching my tire. I just want the loaner (in case of emergency) and I'll get the tire fixed and return their tire (and wheel).

Will they do that?

I don't really care about Tesla replacing or patching my tire. I just want the loaner (in case of emergency) and I'll get the tire fixed and return their tire (and wheel).

Will they do that?

Non OEM wheels/tires are not covered under warranty so I'd assume you would have to pay for a loaner type service, but I do not know for certain. I hadn't asked.