Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Letter from George - 12/17/2011

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
they have always said coming soon on the buttons and the individual menus for the empty sections (interior, packages, options) all say (and still do) coming this winter. when one of the menus (like the exterior color) is expanded, all you see is "coming soon"; but this has been like that since the beginning IIRC ...

I am less sanguine about the base price remaining "as advertised" because all they have to do in order to raise the effective price is make more and more features that you thought would be standard into expensive options. So let's say the backup camera, which we all think should be standard, becomes a $1,000 option, well then that's a $1,000 price increase in my book.

Now that we see the prices I would say that they did exactly what I feared. They took many things we thought were standard and made them options. Backup camera is part of Tech Package which is $3,750. Paint is $750. Leather is $1,500.

From my perspective it looks like the $7,500 from the government is now gobbled up by the "options" you need to sign up for in order to get your car back to where you thought it was initially.

Someone could do a head-to-head comparison now of the Model S against the 5-series to see where it stacks up (still probably pretty favorably).

MyCroft is going to be excited because fully-loaded it looks like you can still come in at like $99K or less (after $7,500 Federal rebate).

Ooops! Correction! Didn't see that there was a Signature Sport.

One final thought, it is interesting how performance and warranty changes based on the battery pack.

Last edited: