Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

lexus toyota ev - zero competition for tesla

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
They never cared about EVs. The poor showing with the Bz4X is a prime example. I think it's 100% hubris. Either that or they're waiting for their 700 mile solid state battery breakthrough or waiting for hydrogen or whatever. Such a shame. If there was one company I thought would quickly match or best Tesla, it would have been Toyota.

Reactions: bruce4000
They never cared about EVs. The poor showing with the Bz4X is a prime example. I think it's 100% hubris. Either that or they're waiting for their 700 mile solid state battery breakthrough or waiting for hydrogen or whatever. Such a shame. If there was one company I thought would quickly match or best Tesla, it would have been Toyota.
Toyota has excellent processes and is typically good at engineering things, lately not so much maybe, but their MO has never been high tech or innovative, its been uniformity of product and qa/qc.

Ah, Toyota's elusive "solid state battery." For how many YEARS now have they implied that they are on the verge of producing a sold state battery?

Was able to take a brief look at a new Toyota Bz4X today while checking out a used Tacoma for my Son-in-law. Quite modernistic and attractive to look at. The interior was attractive, but certainly not luxurious at all. Did not seem nearly as functional as my 2023 MYLR with a smaller screen, rather intrusive console area and seemingly smaller seating areas in both front and back. It reminding me more of my Gen 2 Nissan Leaf - but without nearly as useful rear storage area. Overall, I really liked the styling, but felt it would be quite a backward step in range and interior compared to my MY. I did not test drive it, but being a single motor 2 wheel drive, I cannot imagine it has anywhere near the punch as the Tesla. The sales person knew essentially nothing about it, but he likely was not the dealers "expert" in EVs! The price was essentially the same as my "adjusted" price MYLR - IMO, definitely not competitive. Also, it appears it may not qualify for any Fed tax credit - correct me if that's not the case - 2024 could be a confusing year for incentives:oops:.

Reactions: gtae07
How's the 24 MYLR compared to the '23? Hope all are OK. If Musk will add the Cybertruck bidirectional PCS to the MYLR, I'm trading up.
Wife is fine, thanks (she was driving my car to lunch and someone just pulled out and hit her--"motorcycle levels of 'did not see' " as my brother put it on seeing the dashcam footage). It was just enough to set off all the airbags, apparently, and the at-fault driver only had the insufficient state minimum coverage😖

On the plus side the insurance payoff was sufficient to completely cover a new inventory car after the tax break.

Overall the 2024 seems a little quieter (less inverter whine) and feels a tiny bit more solid, I think--but that may be influenced by having to drive the rickety old Odyssey for a couple weeks. The trunk area is slightly different (subtrunk bin is built differently, as I found out when making space for the spare, and the package shelf doesn't fold like I'm used to), but I don't know if that's a 2024 vs. 2023 thing, or a Fremont (old car) vs. Austin (new car) thing. Just waiting on my frunk light strip (I forgot to pull the jumper harness off the old car) and my hitch install appointment is set up for next week. Then all will be right with the world. Will miss the blue (new one is stealth gray) but I think we have a blue car curse...

Reactions: Marktm250