Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

LEZ zone London - what the heck do I do?!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Pretty sure you don't have to pay for the LEZ zone as that covers pretty much the whole of London and the surrounding suburbs.

I've driven my i3 around plenty of places that are part of the LEZ, never been charged. Only have auto pay setup for the ULEZ/Congestion Charge zone.

The LEZ and ULEZ work differently from Congestion Charging. LEZ and ULEZ only apply to specific vehicles. Only high-emission vehicles that are affected need take any action. Other drivers do not need to register, pay, or take any action.

With Congestion Charging, all vehicles are subject to the Congestion Charging system, though there are various discounts (including the 100% discount for electric vehicles.)

For this reason, an electric vehicle owner need take no action about LEZ or ULEZ and can ignore them completely. But must register for the Congestion Charging 100% discount, or, pay the daily charge.

This might help as well:

I just put my reg in here;

And it's only the congestion charge that is shown.

No mention of an admin fee at all.

The LEZ and ULEZ work differently from Congestion Charging. LEZ and ULEZ only apply to specific vehicles. Only high-emission vehicles that are affected need take any action. Other drivers do not need to register, pay, or take any action.

With Congestion Charging, all vehicles are subject to the Congestion Charging system, though there are various discounts (including the 100% discount for electric vehicles.)

For this reason, an electric vehicle owner need take no action about LEZ or ULEZ and can ignore them completely. But must register for the Congestion Charging 100% discount, or, pay the daily charge.

Thanks so much guys. For some reason the Reg isn’t recognised (car only a week old!) but yeah I’ll just leave it then. Not planning to leave the LEZ

Yup, to confirm, £10 per year registration for the congestion charge 100% 'cleaner vehicle discount'. You'll need to send them a scan or photo of your V5C.

• Informative
Reactions: DeejUK
Yup, to confirm, £10 per year registration for the congestion charge 100% 'cleaner vehicle discount'. You'll need to send them a scan or photo of your V5C.

What do you do if you have a new car not showing up on the DVLA website yet? I also don’t have any v5 yet (collected today but have to drive to London this week)

Should I pay the daily charge and then claim it back afterwards?

As I understood it before being able to register my M3 for the cleaner vehicle discount, you will have to pay the congestion charge for the day if you enter the congestion charge zone. You won’t be able to claim it back later once you are registered for the discount.

If you know you’ll definitely be going into the congestion charge zone before being able to register the car for the discount, it‘s a bit cheaper to pay the charge in advance rather than waiting till afterwards.

As I understood it before being able to register my M3 for the cleaner vehicle discount, you will have to pay the congestion charge for the day if you enter the congestion charge zone. You won’t be able to claim it back later once you are registered for the discount.

If you know you’ll definitely be going into the congestion charge zone before being able to register the car for the discount, it‘s a bit cheaper to pay the charge in advance rather than waiting till afterwards.
I was able to register before going into the congestion zone. I've since been into the zone, and have heard nothing further, so I assume it worked