Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

LFP battery in Model 3

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I had a previous order that slipped from Aug to Oct, so I ordered LFP on 8/26. The vehicle said in Atlanta. I am in Atlanta. I filled out all the paperwork, got insurance, uploaded the insurance. Even went to see in the two local dealership if it is sitting in the parking lots. Nada. Today, crickets :) I called the customer services today. CS rep pinged the vehicle and my car is on a train. Now I am thinking Cali - Atlanta? What's in the middle? Ida. Face palm. I am preparing for a longer wait. Too bad, because anytime there is a hurricane in the Gulf, few days later we have gas shortages in ATL. Sure it would be nice to have Tesla ready. :)
At least they pinged the vehicle.. i haven't been able to get someone to do that :(

LFP batteries generally have about 35% less energy than "regular" LiOn batteries. So how does the model 3 with LFP only suffer a 10 mile range penalty ? Did they put more batteries in the LFP cars?
This is why it’s in the SR+ car, not the long range.

In a nutshell, they’re using the “shell” from a long range battery pack, but with the capacity of a short range vehicle.

Does that make sense?

While the theoretical capacity is smaller than the NCA (nickel-based) battery, in the real world, it’s the equivalent or maybe even a little more, since you charge the LFP battery to 100% all the time.

I’m a fan of the LFP battery. Use one on a much smaller scale in my travel trailer and couldn’t be happier about it.

I just got my window stick for my LFP battery and the range is listed at 262 miles. I think a software change might be giving those with this battery even more reason to feel confident in their choice. Time will tell once we actual get the cars.

Reactions: pcmike
I just spoke to my DC, as far as they know… no LFPs will be getting delivered to customers today. As far as I can tell, the update from corporate has not even made it into the hands of the SC yet. Really hoping I can take delivery EARLY next week. 🙏🏻

For those curious… I asked if both the DC and SC will be working on Labor Day and it was confirmed that both will be working. 👍🏻

• Informative
Reactions: Big Earl
Looks like all new M3 SR+ order will be LPF with a range of 262 miles.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210902-204243.png
    Screenshot_20210902-204243.png
    443.1 KB · Views: 149
I just got my window stick for my LFP battery and the range is listed at 262 miles. I think a software change might be giving those with this battery even more reason to feel confident in their choice. Time will tell once we actual get the cars.
Teslas site now reflects a change from 263 mile range for SR+ now showing 262 mile range on new orders. There may be some truth there and my guess is all SR+ will be LFP after all this.

Teslas site now reflects a change from 263 mile range for SR+ now showing 262 mile range on new orders. There may be some truth there and my guess is all SR+ will be LFP after all this.
I hope your guess is correct. I have a M3 on order and when the email first came out about the LFP battery I was pretty excited about it. Even with the (at that time) 10 mile range reduction the ability to charge to 100% willy nilly seems like an advantage to me. The first few days after the email came out the configuration that I want was available in inventory, but since I'm currently waiting for a lease to end I didn't push the button. Now it seems like all the inventory is gone so I'll just have to wait until my original order is ready. Fingers crossed that it will be a 262mile LFP car.

Reactions: Bullitt
Im told mine is "on a train" on its way to Cleveland before routing to Clarkston, MI where I pick it up. My rep is out today but last I knew the 7th was the ETA. Have not been contacted to schedule the date yet however.